dun, ? about Bovi-Shield Gold

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
dun, you use Bovi-Shield Gold 5 on your open cows and heifers in the spring if I remember correctly. I been getting 4 open heifers ready for the bull sometime this spring. I have given them Bovi-Shield Gold 5 but was wondering if it would be worthwhile to give the second dose as Bovi-Shield Gold FP5 L5. Why do you use the Bovi-Shield Gold 5 instead of the vaccines that immunize for the five Lepto species? Cost is not a significant difference.

I always used Bovishield gold 5 and then boostered with Sprirovac VL5 on the hfrs and then when vaccinating the cows yrly I just boostered with the sprivac
Not sure why I done it that way but if IRRC it was what me, the vet and the buyer I sold too came up with

my buyers wanted the Bovishield gold on the calves I sold so that is probably why

i use bovi-gold fp5 vl5 hb on anything breeding age, calves get straight bovi gold. i vaccinate nov 1st or 2nd always open cows, breeding starts around dec 1st then in April i come back with either staybred or leptoferm 5 it all may be overkill but just what i do.

It's the health progam our vet set up for us years ago and I've never thought to change it.

Right or wrong I start mine out with BS Gold FP 5 L5. Then per directions I booster with BS BRSV. The next time they get vaccinated I use BS Gold FP 5 VL5 and continue with that at each pre-breed working.
I also use Alpha-7/MB-1. Sometimes leaves a lump at injection site but I use it because it's a one dose with no booster required.

fitz

inyati13":1wqvoe15 said:
I think I will follow up pre-breeding with Bovi-Shield Gold FP. One that will cover the 5 species of Lepto and Vibrio.
That's what we use VL5SQ for

dun":1msv3mw4 said:
inyati13":1msv3mw4 said:
I think I will follow up pre-breeding with Bovi-Shield Gold FP. One that will cover the 5 species of Lepto and Vibrio.
I see. That is Vibrio, the 5 species of lepto and I assume subcutaneous. The question I have is what brand, is it a Bovi-Shield product?

inyati13":30bv2w99 said:
dun":30bv2w99 said:
inyati13":30bv2w99 said:
I see. That is Vibrio, the 5 species of lepto and I assume subcutaneous. The question I have is what brand, is it a Bovi-Shield product?
I think it's Merck, Bovishield is a Pfizer product as is Oneshot

Thanks to all. This is becoming a little more clear. If you have replacement heifers that are open, starting them with the Bovi-Shield Gold 5FP VL5 followed by Spirovac VL5 gives you the immunity for BVD 1&2, PI, BRSV and IBR, then the booster of Spirovac gives them another hit of VL5. This maybe assumes they were not vaccinated as calves. If they were vaccinated as calves and the vaccination included a VL5 vaccine, maybe you would not need the booster of Spirovac. Is that right?

For example, I raised a heifer that was vaccinated at 2 to 3 months with the blackleg group of Clostridial species. Then at 4 to 6 months she got the viral group including VL5. If I vaccinated her pre-breeding with Bovi-Shield Gold 5 FP VL5 she should be done since she already had one immunization of the VL5 vaccine.

I believe all lepto products needs to be booster at least once. In other words, if you gave it to your calves - did you give a booster 3-4 weeks later. If not, I do not believe the current shot of L5 will qualify as a booster, you would need to hit them again in the 3-4 week range. I have not been able to get a clear cut answer on this myself.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1m5oaavq said:
I believe all lepto products needs to be booster at least once. In other words, if you gave it to your calves - did you give a booster 3-4 weeks later. If not, I do not believe the current shot of L5 will qualify as a booster, you would need to hit them again in the 3-4 week range. I have not been able to get a clear cut answer on this myself.
I did give a booster on the L5 in the 3-4 week range. So one hit in the pre-breed age with the total package,i.e., Bovi-Shield Gold 5 FP VL5 should be all I need.

Spirovac is for hardjo bovis L5 will not take care of that, but if you use the bovi-gold FP5 VL5 HB the HB portion is spirovac so you can eliminate that shot. Lepto vaccine only lasts 6 months so you need to revaccinate 6 months later with staybred vl5.

Did you know that Pfizer is just announcing a NEW combination Vaccine for fall?
Bovi-Shield Gold 5/One Shot!
Available in 5ds, 10ds, and 50ds.

That is good news. I find it is handy to have the smaller does because it is sometimes necessary to only do a small number of cows at one time. If you open a 10 dose bottle and only vaccinate 5 head. You waste have the vaccine. Good for Pfizer.

Latest posts