dumb question,

Help Support CattleToday:

peg4x4

Reaction score
But why do folks that drive diesel pickups leave them running all the time?? Are they that hard to restart?? (Might get one)

Leveing it run for 15-30 min uses more gas,or restarting uses more gas??

I'm so glad you asked this question, Peg.

Alice

Hey Peg!

I've heard that turning the motor off and then back on for short amounts of time is hard on a diesel motor. Especially if it has not had a chance to get warmed up.

EPA might be a little slanted-don't know that I would trust that info. Would be kinda like PETA telling us what to do with our cows.

i leave mine running when its only gonna be off for a few minutes because the turbo brgs need time to cool. about 2 minutes after driving. i also have a timer that keeps the truck running without the key for predetermined time and then shuts it off. . the semis sometimes dont have an aux gen to run so its the only way to keep heat or cool.
keep in mind they are more expensive to run. filters are twice the price and oil changes require 12-16 qts oil depending on brand of truck. fuel is gettin worse daily as well. the fuel can gel in winter too..

We did a test on a couple trucks in the fleet I previously worked in. Shut the trucks done every stop on the route and then any stop less than 15 minutes they left it running. Very little difference in fuel consumption( less than a gallon ), but sure did save starters, alternators and batteries. These were small diesels, 1 tons.

The heating and cooling cycle is hard on engines constant expanding and contracting, hard on head gaskets.

The epa link sure must be old $1.25 fuel. :lol:

Idling for long periods is not good, but for short stops I think idling is better. In the fleet we had less trouble out of trucks that drivers let idle than the one who shut it off every stop.

What I like is when I go to a drive in like Sonic turn my motor off , roll my windows down to enjoy my hamburger then one pulls up beside me and leaves his motor running and fumes going in my car, very considerate of him or you try to talk into the outside drive in speakers and you can not hear anything but the diesel motor running, I am not talking about farmers or ranchers , this is momma's driving kids around in $50000 one ton dullies that cost more than the houses they live in , I am not bitter just observent

*Cowgirl*":cqvts0pa said:
They like for people to hear the roar of a diesel engine. ;-)

Roar/clatter; whatever. They sound fine under load; they just sound loud idling at the convenience store while the owner goes inside to buy a fountain coke, cigs and a lottery ticket. The redneck equivalent of the base-box neon.
Unless they've been working hard, you can shut them down with no penalty. Letting them idle is just buying testosterone.

john250":tfelvxsv said:
*Cowgirl*":tfelvxsv said:

Roar/clatter; whatever. They sound fine under load; they just sound loud idling at the convenience store while the owner goes inside to buy a fountain coke, cigs and a lottery ticket. The redneck equivalent of the base-box neon.
Unless they've been working hard, you can shut them down with no penalty. Letting them idle is just buying testosterone.

How refreshing to hear! Try having one park next to you at the Sonic. I also don't like it when the motor lugs and spits out all the black smoke. I used to date a guy who did that intentionally to people that tailgated him.

Here's another one. Why do people get Hummers? Is that just conspicuous consumption or what? ( Yes, I work in a school and no, I can't spell very well. ) :roll:

Our roads are small compared to yours and people with 4x4's and Hummers are the scurdge of the roads, they are country cars for here and are penalized heavily on tax and parking in town now.

Lammie":2g7539j6 said:
john250":2g7539j6 said:
*Cowgirl*":2g7539j6 said:

Here's another one. Why do people get Hummers?
:roll:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Lammie":94g27xbc said:
john250":94g27xbc said:
*Cowgirl*":94g27xbc said:

Here's another one. Why do people get Hummers? :roll:

We likely have a difference in slang terms here.

;-)

john250":lw65rcw1 said:
Lammie":lw65rcw1 said:
john250":lw65rcw1 said:
*Cowgirl*":lw65rcw1 said:

Here's another one. Why do people get Hummers? :roll:

We likely have a difference in slang terms here.

;-)

Now THAT is funny.

I know - mind in the gutter .....

:oops:

Bez>

john250":2en0zo6p said:
Here's another one. Why do people get Hummers? Is that just conspicuous consumption or what? ( Yes, I work in a school and no, I can't spell very well. ) :roll:
hummers are pretty much just another symble for money. so if you have a hummer it supposibly suppost to make you look rich or something. personally i think people who have hummers are just full of themselves and are prolly 50,000 dollars in debt just to make themselves look rich.

and true country boys who drive big trucks turn me on. unless they're ugly.

Peg, Back to the original post, it all depends on which diesel I am in. The caterpillar engine is one that you don't want to cut off. The backhoe is almost as bad. The Massey tractor starts easy so if I am going to be outside of it for several minutes, I shut if off. With my pick-ups trucks I have had Dodge, Chevy and Fords. Modern truck engines are pretty simple after the initial start for the day. However, they are not engines you want to shut off and start frequently.

I like my diesel truck because it has power makes me feel like a tough chick driving it around :) :)

Gail

Latest posts