Dumb question - need intelligent answer plz

Help Support CattleToday:

mitch2

Reaction score
The longest distance I have hauled cattle is probably 250 miles (5 hours), and I know that is not easy on them. They seem to be quite tired and tend to lay around for extended period upon arrival.

How do you successfully haul one animal for 2000 miles?

Thanks for any input!

Michele

When the slaughter houses were in Chicago and the cattle were in the west, there got to be laws on how many hours they could be on the train. So they were unloaded, watered, and feed at an intermediate location - - like Aberdeen SD.

I have not hauled cattle cross country but I have Horses. Before we begin the trip we call ahead to the county fair grounds. They usually are very helpful and have adaquate facilities for a small fee, some are free. Hope this helps you.
~Tom

I hauled 3 1400lb Braford bulls from Marathon,Tx to Alabama,in March. the wife and I drove straight through. 1250 miles. Stopped twice at truckstop to offer water. I ratchet strapped 2 40 gallon barrels with locking tops to the back cut of my trailer,after I loaded the bulls. I put the bulls in the middle and front cut. I stopped at the truckstop and filled the barrels with water. When I offered them water,I just opened the whole trailer up to them. They drank what they wanted. I sorted them back to middle and front cut, Locked the lids back on and on the road again. Worked out Ok.

Thanks!

Is there a way to put a bull on a train for shipping? I wonder if this would be less expensive than trailering out and back...

Thoughts?

Thanks again!
Michele

mitch2":x2lkyhjn said:
Thanks!

Is there a way to put a bull on a train for shipping? I wonder if this would be less expensive than trailering out and back...

Thoughts?

Thanks again!
Michele

You might be surprised. Go online and google shipping or shipping expediter. I got a quote on shipping a load of Bentonite
earlier this year and rail was an option that the fellow helping me was hip to. Some fellows specialize in shipping things and have
a lot of contacts.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":10mfbzzu said:
You also may be able to get connected to a professional cattle trucker. They criss/cross all over the US. Call some cattle sale managements.

Best advice yet but know they are most likely not gonna baby him like you would. Unless you pay for it. They are also probably insured against death for sure and possibly damage or loss of use from an injury.

backhoeboogie":1ai7bden said:
you question did not seem all that dumb to me.

One of those questions that seems like it should be common sense, but then you question your sense! :D

Michele

PS
I am contemplating (seriously) driving our 94 Ford F150, 2 wheel drive, 6 cyl, 5 spd, that has 246,000 miles on it with a little 2 horse trailer to pick up a yearling.

I trust the truck, but it has the miles on it!

I don't doubt that you trust your truck but if you do happen to break down on the way back your screwed

I'm all about chasing your dreams. I was just wondering what kind of bull it is that you would go after it like that? I may want to raise them! Really, I would consider the money side of it, how long would it take to recover the costs with his calves? Can you find one as good but closer? I understand your bull makes your herd. I found 10 head less than five miles down the road, they are real good cattle, and I didn't even have a flat on the way back. There is so much to consider, if the bull was that spectactular you may fair better to buy an embryo to raise with your momma cow. You would know how he was handled. It would take longer, but you could have another bull purchased and used til it's ready, and have two sets of calves to boot. It's never a dumb question, anyway.

I was about to post something along Danbrady's thinking. Of course, only you know the value of the bull.

I very rarely haul anything and am about to go a couple hundred miles to get some heifers in an older pickup and trailer. Was thinking through what happens when break down with animals in a trailer. Told my wife to stay by her cell phone to go rent a truck really fast.

If I understand correctly, it will be 4,000 miles round trip? Seems like there would have to be a better way considering time, fuel, wear and tear on vehicles. But then some don't trust others with their animals.

mitch2":2f0glddj said:
backhoeboogie":2f0glddj said:
you question did not seem all that dumb to me.

One of those questions that seems like it should be common sense, but then you question your sense! :D

Michele

PS
I am contemplating (seriously) driving our 94 Ford F150, 2 wheel drive, 6 cyl, 5 spd, that has 246,000 miles on it with a little 2 horse trailer to pick up a yearling.

I trust the truck, but it has the miles on it!

Personally I would not want my wife doing a trip like that with that equipment. Not doubting her abilities nor perseverance nor yours. There are just too many things that can happen on a trip like that with that equipment. I drive around the country on business with newer equipment and stuff STILL happens - trailer flat tires at 70 mph on a busy stretch of interstate with narrow shoulders is one of my favorites - not. Please think this through before you do it. Good luck in any case. Jim.

Everyone brings up valid concerns and I thank you for that.

Still contemplating, but I would bring my dad with on the trip....he is a recently retired long-haul driver and very capable mechanic.

As to the question why I would truck all the way out there for one darn bull yearling.

Quite honestly I am frustrated with the quality I have traveled all over WI and MN to look at over the last 4 months.

I blame it all on the boards here for giving me an education. Thanks :tiphat:

I will not replace my bull with an inferior one.

Michele

decision is do you have travel fever ?

or do yo need to get the bull.?

If you and your dad wnat to make the trip then fine....make the trip.
but that is and old truck and not a lot of horse power to drag a bull thousands of miles. Loading and unloading a yearling bull into a 2 horse trailer might make the trip just exciting enough to be an adventure.

I personally would get a professional hauler to haul him for me.

I admire your grit and wouldn't call you out on a dare. I still want to know what breed of bull your wanting? If I had the bull you wanted I would even put ya'll up for a rest. We raise 5/8 Brafords and cross some with Angus. That's just good for our location, and the wallet.

Some of my best memories with my dad were on farm related road trips. It was what we both liked doing. Just get your ducks in a row before you decide to go. And I want to see a picture of this bull! Good luck! :cboy:

The time,danger,cost factor does raise a good point.

Exactly what kind of bull are you looking for and why do you have to travel that far to find one?

Not critisizing just trying to make sense of it. I just made 3 trips from Colo to Missouri or Kansas driving anywhere from 700 mi round trip to 1400 miles round trip and I can tell you even pulling a 20ft stock trailer with a brand new pickup I was beat every time. One thing to consider is that bull wouldn't have to rock around much to throw you off the road. So if you do it be ready at all times.

Latest posts