Dumb Calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

I;ve only seen it with one hydrocephalic calf and a couple that had long hard drawn out deliverys. Usually a shot og selenium has fixed them right up.

There are genetic tendencies.... select for calf vigor and it usually goes away. We had one bull that was notorious for throwing dumb calves; as soon as we went back through the calving book and figured it out he was gone in a hurry.

Dun is right about the selenium, especially if the grass hasn't got going in the spring. If the cows are borderline on their selenium levels the calves don't seem to have quite as much zip.

I had a terrible "bout" with it one year. A lot of calves born in the cold. I think I lost 3 or 4 that year. I always give SE, but it didn't do any good. Different sires. Good mineral. Hard telling what the issue was. That year, if I got one that was born dumb, it died dumb. Couldn't save any of them.

fargus":31dim9eg said:
There are genetic tendencies.... select for calf vigor and it usually goes away. We had one bull that was notorious for throwing dumb calves; as soon as we went back through the calving book and figured it out he was gone in a hurry.

When we had a dairy herd of swedish reds, we noticed differences in calf vigour. Calfs from certain sires were very vigourous and easy to feed from a bucket.while calves from other sires were difficult to feed (not so common). Even calves from "neutral" sires could be very vigourous if their maternal grand sire was one of the best kind.

I bought three nice half sister heifers two years ago. The last one goes to McDonalds in June. Thier calves would rather curl up and die than hunt for a tit...

Stocker Steve":3u56vla8 said:
I bought three nice half sister heifers two years ago. The last one goes to McDonalds in June. Thier calves would rather curl up and die than hunt for a tit...

By chance would it be a continental breed? If so, don't spill the beans before I get to guess.

cfpinz":30x26t0e said:
Stocker Steve":30x26t0e said:

By chance would it be a continental breed? If so, don't spill the beans before I get to guess.

Yes, I purchased 10 head total of this breed, or its cross, and I will have 4 head left after 3 calving seasons.
I bought 2 huge full bloods cheap because they were out of season. They went after one calf as planned.
I bought 4 BA cross heifers, including the 3 half sisters, and they have been a big disappointment. Look great but not fit to calve on pasture.
I bought 4 Herford crosses heifers and they have been outstanding producers. Calm, calve early, and raise a nice calf. One looks like her udder will not hold up but the other 3 are keepers. Of course they usually have bull calves :(

Stocker Steve":3dcj7z69 said:
cfpinz":3dcj7z69 said:
Stocker Steve":3dcj7z69 said:

Yes

I'm betting Charlais, seems like the ones we had were born looking for a way to die.

Latest posts