Due Dates

Help Support CattleToday:

Stepper

Reaction score
I put the bull with 9 heifers April 23 2006. I got the dates a couple of them were bred and thoes calfed out on their due date.

The first one was Febuary 7th then 4 more had their calfs with in a week of the first one. So i have 4 left to go. When i had them checked last they all were bred. The 4 that has not calfed yet look to be heavy bred. So i am pretty sure they have not slipped their calf.

Since a cow cycles every 21 days. According to the gestation table. These last 4 should be calfing by now should'nt they ? This checking them at midnight and again early in the morning is starting to catch up with me.

Here's the deal: 2 weeks before or after the due date is still considered to be on time.
May not have settled on the first cycle they were with the bull either.
Fun, ain't it?

dun

assuming they were all ready to breed and settled on the first mating, your last heifer should calve tomorrow, if we lived in a perfect world. however, we do not. take into account that it is quite common for a cow to go past due a couple of weeks. anybody that doesnt calve in the next couple of weeks either didnt settle the first time or wasnt coming into heat yet.

LOL dun,

LOL you aint just a kidding. LOL It is a blast. I work 4 to midnight. So i try to check them when i get off at midnight and again arround 8 a.m. in the morning then again at 3 p.m. in the evening before i go to work. Most of the time i am there with them working on something. But boy this is getting old fast.

LOL Thanks for the words of encouragement dun. If i am lucky like you said and they did not settle the first cycle arround i have a whole lot more times to go check on them yet. LOL

Lord i hope not. Boy when they started dropping calfs one after another that week i thought boy there is nothing to this and i will be calfed out by the end of Febuary. Boy was i wrong. LOL

I am pretty sure one of them did not settle the first time arround. Because the vet palped them at the end of August and they all were bred except for that one. dun i dont know if you remember or not but i talked with you about that one. And you told me i should ship her because of her being a slow breeder. But i went ahead and left her with the bull and checked her again in October and she was bred then. The vet said it might have been that she was lightly bred the first time he checked her.

Stepper":p0kd4xmp said:
i talked with you about that one. And you told me i should ship her because of her being a slow breeder.

It's alwasy easiest to cull someone elses herd

dun

I might go ahead and cull her along with the other 3 if they dont speed things up a little. LOL

I think i know what the hold up is. I beleave since it is not coming a flood with no freezeing rain/snow. And now that it is pretty weather it would be asking to much to go ahead and have their calfs. These last 4 got together and decided to hold off since it is close to tarnadoe season hoping for a tarnadoe to come along so that they can have their calf then. LOL

Stepper":2htv6xcc said:
I might go ahead and cull her along with the other 3 if they dont speed things up a little. LOL

I bought a fall calver from the sale barn at Mineral Wells about 4 or 5 years back because she was cheap and young. She calved every 11 months just like clock work until this last cycle when she went 12 months. Had the first heifer I have had from her. I figured she would eventually become a spring calver at the rate she was going and she held her weight really well.

There's no telling why someone culled that cow but it is a good thing for me they did.

i think yall are forgetting 1 thing.a cow can come into heat on 21 or 28 days.not all cows come in on 21 days.could be the holdouts can in on the 28 day side.

Latest posts