Due Date

Help Support CattleToday:

MissouriExile

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I bought a red angus bred cow/calf pair and was told that she was due at the end of August / Early September. She had been AI'ed.
When I received the papers on the little bull calf at her side it gave his birth date as 12/06/2006.
How soon after she calved could she have been AI'ed?
The math doesn't seem to work out for an August / September calving date.

Jon

You are on to something. Either the cow is open, or else the calf's birthdate is wrong on the papers.

Even with an embryo implant, it is too soon.

Call the breeder. If the cow is due Sept 1 then she was bred 11/22, using a 283 day gestation.

Talk Show Mod":r1duybsb said:
I would suspect this is a breeder who got caught with their hand in the cookie jar. The kind that takes a mid to late Sept calf and says it was born :shock: in December.

Happens more than anyone wants to admit. :shock:

OK, here is where I show my ignorance. What advantage would that give to the breeder? By the way, thanks to all for answers.....

Jon

MissouriExile":314dlhhs said:
A few weeks ago I bought a red angus bred cow/calf pair and was told that she was due at the end of August / Early September. She had been AI'ed.
When I received the papers on the little bull calf at her side it gave his birth date as 12/06/2006.
How soon after she calved could she have been AI'ed?
The math doesn't seem to work out for an August / September calving date.

Jon

Call the breeder and ask. It might be a mistake on the bull's papers. Either way, you need to know when the cow will calve.

MissouriExile":18ooe9yp said:
Talk Show Mod":18ooe9yp said:
I would suspect this is a breeder who got caught with their hand in the cookie jar. The kind that takes a mid to late Sept calf and says it was born :shock: in December.

OK, here is where I show my ignorance. What advantage would that give to the breeder? By the way, thanks to all for answers.....

Jon

Jon, is the bull calf a real big, growthy December calf? If it's birth date was really September it's size wouldn't be so impressive. Just call the breeder and tell him there seems to be a problem with either the due date of the cow or the birth date of the current calf. If the guy's records are wrong about the AI date of the cow you might want to really question who the cow is bred to.

Talk Show Mod":hzqsmdr5 said:
MissouriExile":hzqsmdr5 said:
Talk Show Mod":hzqsmdr5 said:

Jon

Breeders HAVE BEEN CAUGHT LYING ABOUT BIRTH WEIGHTS, weaning weights, birth dates, infusion of other breeds to get more milk or frame and many other things.

Now do you get it. :idea:

Again; many thanks to all who replied. I now understand why someone would change the birth date.
I suspect that I will always be a poor (but happy) man because my mind just doesn't work that way.

I do, however, learn.

Jon

MissouriExile":7e6leikz said:
Again; many thanks to all who replied. I now understand why someone would change the birth date.
I suspect that I will always be a poor (but happy) man because my mind just doesn't work that way.

I do, however, learn.

Jon

Jon, There are "horse traders" in every business. This one is no different. Remember the good folks you meet along the way. You'll meet many good folks in this business too.

MissouriExile":1kbd038s said:
Talk Show Mod":1kbd038s said:
MissouriExile":1kbd038s said:
Talk Show Mod":1kbd038s said:

Jon

Breeders HAVE BEEN CAUGHT LYING ABOUT BIRTH WEIGHTS, weaning weights, birth dates, infusion of other breeds to get more milk or frame and many other things.

Now do you get it. :idea:

I do, however, learn.

Jon

A wise ol codger once said, if the breeder has not been in business for at least 10 years and has an established sound reputation - best keep driving. Some of them papers aren't what they appear to be. Just goes to show, liars figure and figures lie.