Meds past expiration date?

Help Support CattleToday:

Z&J Cattle

Reaction score
Do any of you use medicine after the expiration date on the bottle has passed? I'm sure this will vary from medicine to medicine, depending on the contents, but take Nuflor for instance, how long past the expiration date have some of you used it and what were the results? Is it a "safety" concern to use them past the exp. date, or do they just lose some of their effectiveness? Just curious.

As long as it's not discolored etc, I use it until it's done. Used some GnRH recently that expired in '05... should have heard my vet laugh when I called to ask him if it would still work. :p

If stored properly, rule of thumb is six months...

When buying meds that you do not use that often refuse anything with less than a year expiration date if at all possible.

milkmaid":9kojfbc6 said:
As long as it's not discolored etc, I use it until it's done. Used some GnRH recently that expired in '05... should have heard my vet laugh when I called to ask him if it would still work. :p

Perfect answer.

Think about it this way. Would you take a shot from your doctor that was past the experation date if he gave you a discount?

alabama":tiarxudr said:
Think about it this way. Would you take a shot from your doctor that was past the experation date if he gave you a discount?

Probably have and he didnt' tell me...I know several occasions when it didn't work. :) Companies build in a very wide timeline on this stuff. The same with many other things with expiration dates...a good opportunity to get a bargain.

TexasBred":3ka3mabl said:
alabama":3ka3mabl said:
Would you take a shot from your doctor that was past the experation date if he gave you a discount?

Probably have and he didnt' tell me...

Got a call from the dog vet about a week after the dogs were there for some routine procedures. They called to tell me that the vaccine they had used for Leptosporosis was past its expiration date. Said for me to bring the dogs back for a second shot, (at no charge of course) and for the inconvenience they would throw in 1 free fecal sample analysis for each dog the next time I needed fecals done.

Their primary concern was that the vaccine would not be as effective, if at all, due to the date.

Some things I will use if past the date, Bute, Banamine (aspirin for myself) and a couple of others depending on the chemical and what it is used for. Vaccines that are out of date I trash them. Anything I'm not sure about I call the vet for advice.

Katherine

For vaccines, I wouldn't use them past their dates. For prescription meds as long as they are kept in the correct conditions (as detailed on the bottles) and not, say on a dashboard of a pickup, yes. I've got Baytril that's past it's date that I still use.

My vet told me the same thing mm.

I've got a 1/2 bottle of Draxxin that is expiring in Dec. I would hate to throw away $175 worth of drugs.

I try to keep all meds refrigerated. I don't use contaminated needles to draw any meds and clean the top off with alcohol swabs before use. Any medication will last longer is kept in a cool dark place. Medications don't know the date stamped on the label. I prefill syringes before going out to medicate, unless I know I am going to use an entire bottle. So, sure I would use a medication beyond it's expiration date. The only exception would be MLV or mixed meds. If you took good care of that bottle of Draxxin, it will be good for quite a while.