drought tips

Help Support CattleToday:

1982vett":ig5zt6vr said:
TexasBred":ig5zt6vr said:
Works great if you can see into the future.
Must be easy to see into the future...weather forcasters make a living doing it..... :lol:
Yeah, and with such astounding accuracy

djinwa":3tjwnc07 said:
People complain about not enough demand for beef, and then talk about feeding them chicken litter.

How many moms want to feed beef made from chicken excrement.

Who's in charge of marketing?
I'd rather eat a steak from. A steer that ate chicken poop . Than cereal with roach parts in it. If people really new what's in their food they would freak . There is a certain amount of by products allowed in all of our food .

djinwa":3euwhloo said:
People complain about not enough demand for beef, and then talk about feeding them chicken litter.

How many moms want to feed beef made from chicken excrement.

Who's in charge of marketing?

Right.........I can not imagine feed that chit to my cows....

When your trying keep your herd together in a difficult time u might be surprised at what you will try...its just a lot of urea.....you ever looked at a lick tub to see how much of the protein your feeding, is derived from urea......A lot for most of them

houstoncutter":3n6t3rg1 said:
When your trying keep your herd together in a difficult time u might be surprised at what you will try...its just a lot of urea.....you ever looked at a lick tub to see how much of the protein your feeding, is derived from urea......A lot for most of them

I was waiting for a comment like this, I agree completely. When given a choice between starting my herd over from scratch after the drought and feeding chicken litter (whether its legal or not) there really is only one option.

KNERSIE":3fqd1rag said:
houstoncutter":3fqd1rag said:

I was waiting for a comment like this, I agree completely. When given a choice between starting my herd over from scratch after the drought and feeding chicken litter (whether its legal or not) there really is only one option.
Despite the legality, or otherwise, the demand for broiler litter north of the Magaliesberg rockets during severe droughts, I believe more ranchers think along the same lines as you do than people realise, (or admit to) Knersie.

TexasBred":3t0y7j6r said:
Brute 23":3t0y7j6r said:
The ability to make it thru a drought starts two years before the drought with hay and low stocking rates........ and being debt free always helps.

How can you not know the future? ... Dry.... Wet.... Dry.... Wet .... Dry :tiphat:

Seriously, how many droughts have we been thru. We should be pros by now. If you base you operation on the dry times.... it should never be a surprise. Its becoming more and more important that when its wet to juice those hay fields, aerate the pastures... all that good stuff. Basically get all your ducks in a row for the next drought.... we all know its coming.

Brute23, where your at in south Texas it makes sense, where some of us are along the Gulf Coast it makes no sense...ur just leaving a bunch of money on the table.

Brute 23":7lwwu4m0 said:
TexasBred":7lwwu4m0 said:
Brute 23":7lwwu4m0 said:
The ability to make it thru a drought starts two years before the drought with hay and low stocking rates........ and being debt free always helps.

How can you not know the future? ... Dry.... Wet.... Dry.... Wet .... Dry :tiphat:

Seriously, how many droughts have we been thru. We should be pros by now. If you base you operation on the dry times.... it should never be a surprise. Its becoming more and more important that when its wet to juice those hay fields, aerate the pastures... all that good stuff. Basically get all your ducks in a row for the next drought.... we all know its coming.

All 347 plus/minus hay bales went up in smoke. Your house and contents were saved. Tractor and baler are gone. Trailers, barn and other equipment burned. Cattle lived but fences are burned.

You are prepared for that? Hundreds of people are going through it. Thankfully I am not this time but I do know exactly what it is like. A very good old friend lost all of that described above.

All 347 plus/minus hay bales went up in smoke. Your house and contents were saved. Tractor and baler are gone. Trailers, barn and other equipment burned. Cattle lived but fences are burned.

You are prepared for that? Hundreds of people are going through it. Thankfully I am not this time but I do know exactly what it is like. A very good old friend lost all of that described above.[/quote]

I truely weep for everyones losses and heartbreak.
So what is your friend going to do? Does insurance even cover the losses for things like hay & fences? What can he do with his herd until he can replace fences & hay?
Is it completely cost prohibitive to bring in decent hay from other parts of the country?

CottageFarm":32jhdvq9 said:
So what is your friend going to do? Does insurance even cover the losses for things like hay & fences? What can he do with his herd until he can replace fences & hay?
Is it completely cost prohibitive to bring in decent hay from other parts of the country?

Cows went down the road to a neighbor's place. We sent up some hay. He's sent some to the sale, maybe more today.

Home insurance generally covers 20 percent for out buildings. They'll also pay clean up to an extent. Equipment that was financed was insured so he'll lose some equity. I haven't really asked personal questions but know what it is like having been there. He can write off things on taxes with the right CPA. He'll just have to eat fence cost other than what he can write off.

backhoeboogie":1jxa8s83 said:
CottageFarm":1jxa8s83 said:

Cows went down the road to a neighbor's place. We sent up some hay. He's sent some to the sale, maybe more today.

Home insurance generally covers 20 percent for out buildings. They'll also pay clean up to an extent. Equipment that was financed was insured so he'll lose some equity. I haven't really asked personal questions but know what it is like having been there. He can write off things on taxes with the right CPA. He'll just have to eat fence cost other than what he can write off.
Yeah, that's about what I expected. I'm sorry. Just want let everyone know that they're thought about and prayed for.
J

From the half a herd I have left, I cut out another third today....Wednesday I'll do a final cut on those...Have several that are heavy with calves...probably try to hold those another month to at least get the calf. If it doesn't rain then it will be sell another third or maybe even all. Going to keep the hay I have for an opportunity to buy back in this winter if some sort of a predictable rainfall pattern returns...4/10ths of an inch of rain over the last 110 days. 1/10th over the last 73 days. No rain tomorrow means April was rainless for us.

backhoeboogie":1nmox011 said:

You are prepared for that? Hundreds of people are going through it. Thankfully I am not this time but I do know exactly what it is like. A very good old friend lost all of that described above.

That is fire not drought... two different things. I thought this thread was about drought.

We can handle drought. Irrigate out of the river etc. It's the fire that goes along with it brute. Dry as a bone, 7 percent humidity, 45 mph winds. You can't help but have fire. Take away the drought and the extreme fire danger goes away too.

In case you haven't heard, the fires have been going on for weeks. P K went 16 days before it was "under control". That's on a lake.

1982vett":1siklmvr said:
From the half a herd I have left, I cut out another third today....Wednesday I'll do a final cut on those...Have several that are heavy with calves...probably try to hold those another month to at least get the calf. If it doesn't rain then it will be sell another third or maybe even all. Going to keep the hay I have for an opportunity to buy back in this winter if some sort of a predictable rainfall pattern returns...4/10ths of an inch of rain over the last 110 days. 1/10th over the last 73 days. No rain tomorrow means April was rainless for us.

Vette we have a shot here most of next week I pray some will make it your way.