Drought: Designated Natural Disaster Areas

Help Support CattleToday:

3MR

Reaction score
Information on Designated Disaster Area in Oklahoma, Texas, Colorado, Missouri, New Mexico, Kansas, Colorado and Arkansas.

NEWS
Farm Service Agency
Public Affairs Staff
1400 Independence Ave SW
Stop 0506, Room 3624-South
Washington, D.C. 20250-0506

Release No. 1487.06

Stevin Westcott (202) 720-4178

USDA DESIGNATES COUNTIES IN OKLAHOMA AND TENNESSEE AS
NATURAL DISASTER AREAS
Decision Allows Farmers and Ranchers to Apply for USDA
Assistance

WASHINGTON, July 31, 2006 * The U.S. Department of
Agriculture designated counties in Oklahoma and Tennessee
as primary natural disaster areas, making all qualified
farm operators in the designated areas eligible for low-
interest emergency (EM) loans from USDA's Farm Service
Agency (FSA).

The entire state of Oklahoma was designated a primary
natural disaster area due to losses caused by drought,
extreme heat and high winds that occurred from Jan. 1,
2006, and continuing.

The following counties in the adjacent states of
Arkansas, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, New Mexico and Texas
are also eligible because they are contiguous:

Arkansas
Benton, Crawford, Little River, Polk, Scott, Sebastian,
Sevier and Washington Counties

Colorado
Baca County

Kansas
Barber, Chautauqua, Cherokee, Clark, Comanche, Cowley,
Harper, Labette, Meade, Montgomery, Morton, Seward,
Stevens and Sumner Counties

Missouri
McDonald and Newton Counties

New Mexico
Union County

Texas
Bowie, Childress, Clay, Collingsworth, Cooke, Dallam,
Fannin, Grayson, Hansford, Hardeman, Hemphill, Lamar,
Lipscomb, Montague, Ochiltree, Red River, Sherman,
Wheeler, Wichita and Wilbarger Counties

In Tennessee, Rutherford County was designated a
primary natural disaster area due to losses caused by hail
and excessive rain that occurred on May 11, 2006, and May
25, 2006. Also eligible because they are contiguous are
Bedford, Cannon, Coffee, Davidson, Marshall, Williamson
and Wilson Counties.

All counties listed above were designated natural
disaster areas on July 27, 2006, making all qualified farm
operators in the designated areas eligible for EM loans,
provided eligibility requirements are met. Farmers in
eligible counties have eight months from the date of the
declaration to apply for loans to help cover part of their
actual losses. FSA will consider each loan application on
its own merits, taking into account the extent of losses,
security available and repayment ability. FSA has a
variety of programs, in addition to the emergency loan
program, to help eligible farmers recover from adversity.

USDA has also made other programs available to assist
farmers and ranchers, including the Emergency Conservation
Program, Federal Crop Insurance and the Noninsured Crop
Disaster Assistance Program.

Interested farmers may contact their local USDA
Service Centers for further information on eligibility
requirements and application procedures for these and
other programs. Additional information is also available
online at: http://disaster.fsa.usda.gov.

FSA news releases and media advisories are available
on FSA's Web site at: http://www.fsa.usda.gov/pas/.

Where's Erath? Dang! I'm not interested in the benefits offered(we'd never qualify, anyway), I just don't like Erath being left off that list. G-men need to come on down...take a look around...jerks.

Alice

Alice":p4p1syj4 said:
Where's Erath? Dang! I'm not interested in the benefits offered(we'd never qualify, anyway), I just don't like Erath being left off that list. G-men need to come on down...take a look around...jerks.

Alice

Yesterday I ran down to Hamilton. Hood, Somervell, Erath, and Hamilton Counties all looked bad. The Paluxy, Bosque, and Leon Rivers were bone dry.

This is only counties that touch Oklahoma. The entire state was designated a natural disaster area so if you live in a county in an adjacent state that touches Oklahoma then you are covered as well.

Except for the county in TN, which had hail problems.

At least this is how I understand it to be.

Alice":52v1db41 said:

Alice

Aliice last year they left my county off because gully flusher in the county seat. It was a small (area wise) intense storm that boosted the reported rain above the limits set. Maybe this happened there also?

Thanks for the update. We'll have to look into it. Our main problem is hay. There just isn't any being made around here. We're probably going to be ok through the summer, but if we don't get some Sept/Oct rains to produce grass for fall and winter grazing, we're in trouble big time. Looking back, we should have weaned the calves earlier. :(

FSA Better get on the ball, b/c there are quiet a few counties here in SC that qualify as well.
We are awful dry

Frankie":31i6e653 said:
Thanks for the update. We'll have to look into it. Our main problem is hay. There just isn't any being made around here. We're probably going to be ok through the summer, but if we don't get some Sept/Oct rains to produce grass for fall and winter grazing, we're in trouble big time. Looking back, we should have weaned the calves earlier. :(

Im really hoping come September we will get some rain.

Something really seems to have changed. Years ago when we had drought that wasn't nearly this bad the fed's where falling all over themselves trying to get people to sign up for reimbursements for feed.

nobody is in this alone
-----------------------------------------------------------
drmon.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------
for the dismal reality of it some facts and numbers are here
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060729/ap_ ... ns_drought

dj":aoc6gxul said:
Alice":aoc6gxul said:

Alice

Aliice last year they left my county off because gully flusher in the county seat. It was a small (area wise) intense storm that boosted the reported rain above the limits set. Maybe this happened there also?

Could have, I suppose...it's been so long since there's been any rain, I'm having to really tax my brain as to when the last big one was.

Looks like Erath is right on the edge of extreme...we're only severe :shock: :eek: :mad:

backhoeboogie":29bmgb08 said:
Alice":29bmgb08 said:

Alice

Yesterday I ran down to Hamilton. Hood, Somervell, Erath, and Hamilton Counties all looked bad. The Paluxy, Bosque, and Leon Rivers were bone dry.

All of 'em dry? Good God...

I haven't crossed the Brazos within the last few weeks, but the last time I did, it was pitiful looking.

Alice

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":r3cit6e8 said:
Dryer than a popcorn fart in Navarro County also. No water No grass No hay. :shock:

Yea, I had to go to Corsicana twice this weekend and it was bad along 22 coming from Hillsboro. You ought to see my pasture. No, on second thought, I don't want anyone to see.

Some folks in w/sw ks have surrendered they corn crops and are cuttin corn crops for silage. I heartell on the Ag report on the radio this mornin that some even be cuttin they soybeans and bailin em up like hay, just so as ta try and salvage some kinda feed out of em. We be havin a chance for rain in the next day or so but probably too little too late :roll:

Rookie":1o78vx1f said:
Some folks in w/sw ks have surrendered they corn crops and are cuttin corn crops for silage. I heartell on the Ag report on the radio this mornin that some even be cuttin they soybeans and bailin em up like hay, just so as ta try and salvage some kinda feed out of em. We be havin a chance for rain in the next day or so but probably too little too late :roll:
Saw baled corn stalks here. Them cows will be eatin rocks before this is all over and done with.

Latest posts