Drop calf, pooping mucus

Help Support CattleToday:

Jaybird

Reaction score
Wow, I'm new here and what a topic to start out with! If you missed the introduction, we raise both dairy and meat goats with drop calves a natural extension of excess goat milk production. I picked up a Jersey/Angus cross bull calf at the sale barn today. I'm guessing he's between 4 - 7 days old. Thin as a rail and slightly dehydrated from the 102 degree heat and sitting in a pen with other calves. His eyes, nose clear. No scours, but pooping a very white mucus type poo. If he were a goat kid, I'd think maybe a cocci was tearing up the intestinal lining, but that usually holds hands with bloat or black scours of which he has neither. I'm curious to what more experienced producers might think.

I'm also curious as to protocol for treating a new drop calf from the sale barn. We usually treat with BoSe, C&D Antitoxin and flush their eyes with colloidal silver. Lots of pink eye in that barn today (yuck). Sometimes we'll run them on a preventative round of Excenel antibiotic, but I don't like to. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Jaybird

I'm also curious as to protocol for treating a new drop calf from the sale barn. We usually treat with BoSe, C&D Antitoxin and flush their eyes with colloidal silver. Lots of pink eye in that barn today (yuck). Sometimes we'll run them on a preventative round of Excenel antibiotic, but I don't like to. Any thoughts?
Yes on the BoSe and C&D. I give a shot of a vitamin mix made by our local vet clinic. Yes on the Excencel. Is there blood in his poop? Is he drinking the goat milk good/aggressive? He is alert? I would advise you to seperate new calves brought home from established calves for 12-14 days. It prevents any funk new ones bring in from spreading to what you already having going.

I am not sure about the eye stuff you mention, I have never used so cannot advise one way or the other. I am sure you are aware that goat milk is an excellent replacer for baby calves, you are fortunate to have easy access to it.

Is he running a fever? Watch that heat and dehydration. Dehydration will knock them down fast and they are hard to pull up. Take a sample to the vet. The test is cheap. Just put it in a sandwhich bag, you will get results back the same day and then can treat any issues directly.

Sorry if this is disorganized, I have been up too long ~ but you get the idea.

Yes on what Angie wrote. I also give a shot of vitamin A,E,&D. And, I read in an article from an Ag Ext. office to give electrolytes when you get the calf home from the sale barn.

Alice

Jaybird":24618528 said:
I'm also curious as to protocol for treating a new drop calf from the sale barn.
Thanks, Jaybird

I'm not sure what "drop calf" means, but anytime I get a new bottle calf from the salebarn I seperate him from everything else on the place for 2-4 weeks depending on what, if anything, develops. I start him out slow with milk replacer, and watch him like a hawk. As far as antibiotics and all the other stuff you mentioned, we are not in a selenium deficient area so there is no need for BoSe, and I do not use antibiotics unless needed. Regardless of whether you are using them to treat an illness or as a preventative measure, they can raise havoc with the intestinal flora/gut microbes. I do not believe an already stressed baby needs that.

msscamp":33cfpwqq said:
I do not use antibiotics unless needed. Regardless of whether you are using them to treat an illness or as a preventative measure, they can raise havoc with the intestinal flora/gut microbes. I do not believe an already stressed baby needs that.
What is said here is a common enough school of thought, and is very valid ~ up until this year I would have strongly agreed. Stress also increases risk of respiratory issues I am trying to avoid. At the suggestion of several I respect (including my vet) I gave my girls Draxxin (anitbiotic) from the sale barn along with probiotics to balance the gut issues, and never had any issues with any thing. I would never do it differently now.

Jaybird-

-Thin as a rail and slightly dehydrated from the 102 degree heat and sitting in a pen with other calves. His eyes, nose clear. No scours, but pooping a very white mucus type poo. If he were a goat kid, I'd think maybe a cocci was tearing up the intestinal lining, but that usually holds hands with bloat or black scours of which he has neither. I'm curious to what more experienced producers might think.-

I am curious as to why you would select a half Angus-half Jersey bull calf from the salebarn! What are you planning to do with that calf? Why buy a calf that is dehydrated in 102 degree heat and thin as a rail and draining white mucous from the anus? You HAD to know that you were asking for problems and trouble! Did they PAY you to take it off their hands? Why was the calf AT the sale barn in the first place?

What is a "DROP CALF?"

:?: :?: :?:

DOC HARRIS

Doc you need to get out more ;-) In the the dairy belt thats where the bull calves go.I don't figure he paid much for it.The first job I ever had was working for a cattle buyer-dealer he would get a few hundred a week, he also had a big hole behind the barn.

A drop a calf is a young calf usually less then a week old. After that they are generally referred to as started.

dun":2x3sbber said:
A drop a calf is a young calf usually less then a week old. After that they are generally referred to as started.

Thanks, I appreciate the information. :)

Latest posts