drilling winter forage

Help Support CattleToday:

J&D Cattle

Reaction score
I've been thinking about drilling a winter forage into my pastures. I normally feed hay for about 3.5 months but with the drought I have on hand 5.5 months worth of hay. Most is outside so I will definitely want to feed it but what I have in the barn I wouldn't mind carrying over if possible. I got a nice rain last night and can stetch my pastures until probably 10/1 if we didn't get another drop but am still pretty nervous as to whether or not I have enough hay on hand. If you were going to drill a winter forage what would it be for South-Central MO? A buddy recommended rye grass over wheat. Thanks

im going to try some TAM 90 rye grass this fall.you might want to try that along with some clover an vetch.

Location location!
But seriously, down here in SW MO we are having a severe drought. Got our first good rain since May (2.24 inches!) last night in that storm. We went to the Barry County drought tour earlier this week, and they gave all kinds of options. But annual rye seemed to be the most popular option. They said that rye can take over a pasture pretty quick, so don't plant it if you harvest fescue seed or any other grain. We planted some Marshall last fall, got some of it to take (drought last year also, just not as bad). It grew quick and the cows liked it. We will see if it returns with this rain.
I will say one of the things they promoted was to put down Nitrogen NOW if you have a stand still. The cool weather we have been having has started our pastures greening up just a little. We did not graze the fields we cut for hay because the lack of rain we knew it would be too short. So, we went ahead and put down 60 pounds/acre about an hour before the storm hit last night! I just hope it did not wash away!!! I will report in a few weeks to see if it helped! I hope to get a jump on fall forage growth - we have been feeding hay since early July!!!

Fire Sweep Ranch said:
They said that rye can take over a pasture pretty quick, so don't plant it if you harvest fescue seed or any other grain./quote]

We won't be harvesting anything but I am worried about it taking over my pasture. At this time this would be used as a drought measure only and probably not part of my long term pasture strategy. I was planning on additional seeding to the pasture next year to better establish a good mix of cool and warm season grasses and don't want the rye to hang on and take over.

J&D Cattle":34mp4e2i said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":34mp4e2i said:
They said that rye can take over a pasture pretty quick, so don't plant it if you harvest fescue seed or any other grain./quote]

We won't be harvesting anything but I am worried about it taking over my pasture. At this time this would be used as a drought measure only and probably not part of my long term pasture strategy. I was planning on additional seeding to the pasture next year to better establish a good mix of cool and warm season grasses and don't want the rye to hang on and take over.
I planted Marshall a couple of years ago and the long freeze and freezing rain/ice killed it completly. It's an annual that has to seeded each year, or let go to seed I suppose.

The extension stressed that it can go to seed very quickly. IF you wanted to keep it in your pastures, they recommended not grazing or cutting from May 15th to June 15th, and said even that was a broad window. The pastures we toured were mostly rye, and seeded back in 2007 and never re-seeded. The extension thinks a great grazing grass, but I think it is a lot like fescue, once you put it in it is hard to get rid of it. They just wanted to warn everyone that was planning on seeding it.
On a side note, they also stated that one of the pastures the guy had just broadcast it, let the cows tromp it in the ground with grazing on the ground for a few days, then pulled the cows out and let it germinate. He had a good stand that way also, but they did not recommend seeding it that way!
Go figure, but we put it in last fall and we will see if it comes back.

My 87 yo neighbor always unrolls his hay to feed it. This time of year he sprinkles rye seed on top and let's the cows spread it. Never tried it but he gets a good stand every year

papavillars":a70aqr7v said:
My 87 yo neighbor always unrolls his hay to feed it. This time of year he sprinkles rye seed on top and let's the cows spread it. Never tried it but he gets a good stand every year
yeah my uncle used to feed his cows rye grass for the same reason in the fall.an it always worked for him.

bigbull338":26lwiwcg said:
papavillars":26lwiwcg said:
yeah my uncle used to feed his cows rye grass for the same reason in the fall.an it always worked for him.

When seed was $5 a bag...maybe.....but no chance in Hades I'm going to try letting a cow plant my ryegrass at $48 a bag (last years price).....

Latest posts