Draxxin?

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 8, 2004
Messages
5,295
Reaction score
0
Location
Idaho
So, question for y'all... I've never used Draxxin before.

I've got a calf with pneumonia that's been treated with Nuflor and Baytril and sulfas and she's getting to the point I'm ready to declare her "chronic". She was treated yesterday evening with Draxxin and I'm just playing wait-n-see right now. How long does one wait before deciding to retreat with Draxxin? I've heard that you basically treat and then don't look at the animal for 2-3 days as Draxxin works kinda slow. :???:

Those of you who use Draxxin alot, how would you handle this calf? if she appears to improve should still I hit her with one more dose in ___ number of days?

Thanks-
 

larryshoat

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 23, 2007
Messages
3,475
Reaction score
0
Location
Ohio
MM, Draxxin is good for about 8 days .We've had good luck with Draxxin .I suppose you could add another 8 days ,if you feel she needs it .

Larry
 

iowafarmer

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
786
Reaction score
0
Location
Northwest, Iowa
It lastes 8 days. I would start veinging her with something strong tlak to your vet on what is best and have him or her veign her for u if u do not know how.
 

Wild Cattle

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 17, 2007
Messages
155
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas Panhandle
Draxxin and Micotil are in the same drug class and work alot alike. They do not work slow, they stay at high MIC level for about a week and you have to give it( or any drug) time to work. Studies by Alanco have shown that with Micotil, the cattle do better when treated and left alone for about a week. We stress them alot when we re-doctor after 2-3days and this hinders the healing process.

In my experance these type of drugs work better when the are given when the calf is just starting to break and is still vigerous. They are less effective when the calf gets weak.

I always give banamine with the first treatment, makes them feel better and they get up and go back to eating and that helps the other meds work better.

Micotil is about 1/3 the cost of Draxxin. But....Do not inject it(Micotil) into yourself it can kill you.

I would not give another dose if she is improving, and I would wait 6 days to re-doctor

Paul T
 
OP
milkmaid

milkmaid

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 8, 2004
Messages
5,295
Reaction score
0
Location
Idaho
Thanks for the input, folks. The calf looks (and acts!) a tad bit better tonight; still breathes fast though. I brought out the stethoscope and her lungs -- as before -- sound clear. Perplexing. My vet will be out checking the dairy herd tomorrow and I might have him check this calf if he has time.
 

TheBullLady

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2004
Messages
3,537
Reaction score
0
Location
Central Texas
I've used Draxxin twice.. the first time by prescription by the vets at A & M to treat a cow I'd hauled there with a kidney infection, and the second time to treat a calf with pnuemonia. (I had bought an entire bottle) Both responded VERY well.. and neither needed to be retreated.

Having said that, with calves with pnuemonia I've also had problems with calves that didn't respond to either the first or second treatment of a specific medication. By the time I could administer a third different medicine, they were usually chronic. It's hard when you have to wait so many days between them to see what the reaction is going to be. I always wondered if I had used the third medication FIRST if it would have made a difference.
 
OP
milkmaid

milkmaid

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 8, 2004
Messages
5,295
Reaction score
0
Location
Idaho
I had my vet check her out Tuesday when he was at the dairy, and he said she did have a little bit of fluid in the farthest lobe of the left lung, but he suspected it was just inflammation, not neccessarily infection. I retreated yesterday evening just to be on the safe side -- easier to err on the side of caution than deal with a true chronic. Anyhow, she looks good now, and as my vet suggested, I'm going to vaccinate with Nasal-gen to hopefully prevent another bug from settling into her lungs. My vet said she has about 3 weeks where she's succeptible to whatever comes along.
 

Latest posts

Top