Draxxin

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
I have a 1&1/2 month old calf with all of the symptoms of pneumonia (perfect weather for it as it was +16 last week and now a foot of snow and -10 wet mucky wet cold) his dam was in heat a couple of days ago when the weather changed so I am sure he missed a meal and then the crappy weather, all it takes is a little stress and shytt happens. :roll:

How fast can I see Draxxin get to work and the calf's breathing become less labored.

I should have just used Nuflor like I usually do...

24 hours. I just used it on my little bull that tried to die on me. It worked within hours and he has improved every day since then

It has been 7 hours and he has not really improved at all and now he is grinding his teeth, obvious pain. he is not flat on his side anymore but does have his neck and head extended still and labored breathing.

Thinking of giving Nuflor is he does not show more improvement by later this evening.

Ugh!!!! I have a cow with bloat that really wants to commit suicide instead of letting me get her to the corral and handling system, d@m cows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bleep &*(%&( bleep $^&$ !!!!!!!!!

Thanks 3way and Hook. :tiphat:

Hook":2gst23xn said:
Hit him with some banamine if you have it. Or a bunch of aspirin. resflor gold is nuflor with banamine and I've had it turn some calfs around real quick.

Thanks Hook but I have already given him an anti inflammatory for the congestion in his lungs. If I give a NSAID/pain killer it is usually Metacam now, really like how that works quickly in cattle. So glad that it was finally approved. I usually only use Banamine anymore on bred cows that I have to treat and try to give it IV now rather than off label.

If he keeps fighting and is around tomorrow I will give him a shot of that Metacam too.

hillsdown":wculx5xv said:
Hook":wculx5xv said:
Hit him with some banamine if you have it. Or a bunch of aspirin. resflor gold is nuflor with banamine and I've had it turn some calfs around real quick.

Thanks Hook but I have already given him an anti inflammatory for the congestion in his lungs. If I give a NSAID/pain killer it is usually Metacam now, really like how that works quickly in cattle. So glad that it was finally approved. I usually only use Banamine anymore on bred cows that I have to treat and try to give it IV now rather than off label.

If he keeps fighting and is around tomorrow I will give him a shot of that Metacam too.

Hillsdown the cocktail that finally worked for us was Draxxin, Banamine and Dex. We gave him Dex twice in 10 days. Banamine 3 times in 10 days. The banamine kept him eating and drinking the whole time. I think he would have quit without it.

11081251_10205231503323859_1924937088269580756_n_zpsfstav0nu.jpg

He was standing and his breathing is still very noticeable and a little forced but not as bad as earlier today. I went and brought his dam, Little Miss Sunshine, over to him and he went to eat right away. I think/hope he may be OK. I have not seen pneumonia this badly since we were at the dairy and Nuflor had just come out, it was the miracle drug at that time.

I think my bloat gal has turned the corner as well, finally got her in the handling system and got 2 bottles of bottles of bloat eaze I her , mineral oil and tubed her numerous times to relieve the bloat and get her to burp. I left her for a half our or so and I could finally feel a rib or two on the left side and the right side had that beautiful indentation. I hope she that she does alright overnight and does not bloat up again.

Holy cows!!!! :???:

3waycross":2hujsg0u said:
Sounds like lotsa good news. Hope it lasts all night.

I sure hope so 3way, thank you!!!

I feel horrible right now, after all that has happened this past year with my girls and now their babies it feels like my black cloud has moved over on top of them too. Ever have that feeling that no matter how hard you try or what you do you just can't seem to catch a break. :(

Oh well, I guess I just have to work harder and be more vigilant to ensure that everyone comes through until that black cloud goes away, for good!

hillsdown":3lf77zuh said:
3waycross":3lf77zuh said:
Sounds like lotsa good news. Hope it lasts all night.

I sure hope so 3way, thank you!!!

I feel horrible right now, after all that has happened this past year with my girls and now their babies it feels like my black cloud has moved over on top of them too. Ever have that feeling that no matter how hard you try or what you do you just can't seem to catch a break. :(

Oh well, I guess I just have to work harder and be more vigilant to ensure that everyone comes through until that black cloud goes away, for good!

Believe me I know exactly what you mean! :frowns:

Hillsdown,

Do you know why the cow was bloated? Change in ration?

I've only had one mature cow bloat that I can think of and it was because I turned them out too early in the fall on some alfalfa.

I think your black cloud has been stretching over me since about November so I feel your pain. Hopefully things get better soon.

Chris she ate grain without sufficient available roughage for her.

Went out at 6 am and my cow was stuffing her face with hay. She is alert and the bloat almost completely unnoticeable. My little calf was standing in a calf shelter , ears alert and when I went to see him he was back to his normal self of chewing on my coveralls. His breathing is still labored a bit but I think he has turned the corner. Whew!

AI'd the 2 heifers. Holy cervix on lady Bequest. I can't remember a beef heifer having that long of a cervix. What a broody young gal, I would love to have 100 more just like her, except red ;-)

2 more heifers to AI tonight and a couple of young cows on the other side are in heat too so hopefully I can get them locked up too. That will be it for the heifers, all 16 that I retained last fall will have had 1st service AI, fingers crossed they all stick. My new calving ease clean up bull may not have any girls to breed this year.

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!! :tiphat:

Hope they all get better now.. I have a calf I just noticed acting funny this morning.. laying down and kicking at it's head.. not sure if it got a kick or some other injury, it walks OK.. just going to have to keep an eye on that one.. a couple cows with RP all of a sudden, and all at the same time.

Latest posts