Dragging Hind leg

Help Support CattleToday:

ploughman

Reaction score
3 yr old Nursing momma cow was in good shape 3 days ago, and now she is dragging her right hind leg. Not on every step though, she'll take 4 or 5 steps bending the hock and walking without a limp, and then the leg will go stif and drag straight (locking up the hock and rolling the toe under) and hold her up. I don't see any cuts, scrapes etc, in the area?? Its a wierd one. Anyone dealt with anything like this?

have seen some do this when they first get up. but then it straighens out & acts fine. she could have slipped & damaged a nerve. i would watch for a few days to see if it gets better or worse

Thanks for the replies, she is some better today, i got some mineral in her, wormed her for liverflukes etc.... I did notice an improvement just since yesterday.

I had a Brahman that did the same. Took her to A & M, and they said it was the tendons in the knee.. they get stretched and cross over in front of the joint, making it "snap" back instead of the normal way. Does that sound like what you're seeing?

If so, my cow had to have surgery. Minor surgery, but that was the only "cure".

That is the stifle locking. I have had a couple of horses that had the problem. The surgery is minor. The offending ligament is severed.

Latest posts