Downer calf

Help Support CattleToday:

dthompson

Reaction score
Hi all,

Guys i have a calf here who was originally treated for IBR and has got better but for some reason he is down and just wont get up he has been like that for last day or so I called my Sister who is a vet and she said to get him some Vytrate which is an electrolye for his scours and some Minject 4 in1 to give his magnesium and calcium as he wont drink i did all this early this morning and still there is no change in his condition,

if anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated

Cheers damien

I would begin to wonder if the IBR is not secondary to BVD. IBR is not really treatable. You either do enough to get by untill butcher or you make that hard call. IBR is contagious and can spread quickly. I hope you have this animal quartantened including feed and water.

DO NOT PUT INTO BREEDING STOCK!

might look to a vacination program, and get the momma of the calf tested

Cheers Rock ridge for that he i getting better slowly he is up and about but still very weak will keep an eye on for and hopefully he will recover than if not i will make that hard call

cheers

For sure the calf should be seperated from others ~ always when sick. Did you take a temp on the calf? I am trying to figure out if the weakeness is due to dehydration or active illness. He should get probiotics for sure. Also ~ what you are giving is support care for scours, which is terribly important, consider including a scour med/bolus. Is important to stop scours. The minject can and should be repeated if you are going to use it ~ I have only ever used in adult animals. Electrolytes should be continued. A vitamin shot should be given. Scour boluses, probiotics and electrolytes are relatively cheap. If you could get a temp on the calf, would be helpful. You say "he won't drink", this is not an option. How are you getting fluids into him? How old is he ~ How big?

hey Angie,

i am giving him vytrate for his scours, and i dont have a temp yet i have also given him some Vitajec ADE and Vitajec B12 when i say he wont drink i mean he just doesnt want the bottle but i have been forcing it into him slowly and its getting there slowly havent been able to find the thermometer yet but when i do i will temp him and let u know

cheers for that

Damien

dthompson":2aebbgf9 said:
hey Angie,
i am giving him vytrate for his scours, and i dont have a temp yet i have also given him some Vitajec ADE and Vitajec B12 when i say he wont drink i mean he just doesnt want the bottle but i have been forcing it into him slowly and its getting there slowly havent been able to find the thermometer yet but when i do i will temp him and let u know
cheers for that
Damien
Hey!
Everything you are doing is good stuff :nod: I'm just wondering if you could be treating the scours more aggressively. See the vytrate rehydrates, but it doesn;t cure the problem ~it is a support med. Sometimes that is the best we can do. Maybe you can ask your sister about it. Is good you are being patient with him and getting him to drink enough ~ dehydration will take them fast.
Good Luck!

Latest posts