Down Cow with diareah

Help Support CattleToday:

I too am sorry to read your story. I am new to this forum; I am a dairy farmer with a heifer down with calving paralysis. I am currently going through what you went through last week and only had time this a.m. to read what you wrote. This heifer is not my first with a damaged nerve but she is definitely my worst. Mine is not eating well either and that also has me concerned. We did, however, lift her this morning, and she was able to stand for several minutes and so we were encouraged. But, you can't get too attached to a small success as it can always go wrong. That's the hard part; if you don't do your best you can't live with yourself, but if you give your all and it still doesn't work it is infinitely harder to accept.

Today I'm going to work on getting her eating and we'll lift her again tomorrow. This is now Day 8, and I know that is not good. I definitely think that if she does not get back to eating she does not stand a chance. We call this condition ketosis--the stool is hard and shiny. We give propylene glycol and dextrose IV, and now I think I'll go out and give her some beer -- it did me a lot of good last night, I must say!!

I'll keep you posted.

Kathleen":3o3d82o0 said:
I too am sorry to read your story. I am new to this forum; I am a dairy farmer with a heifer down with calving paralysis. I am currently going through what you went through last week and only had time this a.m. to read what you wrote. This heifer is not my first with a damaged nerve but she is definitely my worst. Mine is not eating well either and that also has me concerned. We did, however, lift her this morning, and she was able to stand for several minutes and so we were encouraged. But, you can't get too attached to a small success as it can always go wrong. That's the hard part; if you don't do your best you can't live with yourself, but if you give your all and it still doesn't work it is infinitely harder to accept.

Today I'm going to work on getting her eating and we'll lift her again tomorrow. This is now Day 8, and I know that is not good. I definitely think that if she does not get back to eating she does not stand a chance. We call this condition ketosis--the stool is hard and shiny. We give propylene glycol and dextrose IV, and now I think I'll go out and give her some beer -- it did me a lot of good last night, I must say!!

I'll keep you posted.
Your right about the eating. I was given the advice to give mine electolytes. It is like cow gatorade. My poor girl went threw allot. I am trully crossing body parts for you. ;-) fingers toes legs and as someone did for me eyes..

Losing one occasionally is expected in this business. I think you deserve a lot of credit for the efforts you put into her.

Good Morning,

randumchatress You have been doing a valiant job for your cow.

I went to the annual Beef Cattle Calving Workshop sponsored by our state beef association this weekend.

One of the hot topics was calving paralysis.

From my notes ( and I was writting as fast as the vet was speaking ):

If a cow can't get up after calving or If a calf is stuck in the birth canal for extended amount of time-- the nerves are probably pinched.

If a calf is born with a swollen head, swollen tongue etc, it was probably stuck for an extended period-due to pinched nerves.

There are 2 nerves in the birth canal that cause this issue.

* Use anti-inflammatory drugs/steroids to take the swelling out of the nerves. Similar to a ruptured disc--you need to get the swelling out before you regain mobility.

I didn't get the name of the 2 nerves, so if anyone can add to this info--jump in.

I guess this is my favorite subject these days too--I have a heifer on Day 9 of her pinched nerve. I'm getting her to eat some and we're lifting her. I didn't have the vet right away--it was Saturday night, of course, --but when he did get here he said it was too late for dextamethazone but to give banamine, which I have been doing. I figure I'm dealing with a swollen nerve. The calf's tongue was all the way out when we saw the head and I feel that it was already dead then. We were there right from the start of the heifer's labor and were able to pull the calf in a pretty timely fashion. She did clean right away as well. I guess we'll see if she recovers. That must have been a fascinating lecture--wish I could have been there. You must have been excited--good for you for taking good notes. I'll keep you posted on how we are making out with her.

...calving paralysis, due to intrapelvic nerve damage at the entrance to the birth canal, is the most common contributing factor. Both the obturator nerve and the lumbar root of the sciatic nerve are vulnerable to being compressed against the pelvic bones...

from the Merck Vet Manual

My vet doesn't talk much....he didn't say why. But if this ever happens again I'll get some dex right away.

We lifted the heifer this a.m. and she stood very well all by herself, so we milked her that way. But she is hardly eating at all, so I guess I'll have to go at that problem with everything I can think of. Gave her CMPK this a.m. but am having trouble finding a vein, unfortunately. She won't drink either. If I give her water with electrolytes she will drink that, but only in small amounts. I'm going to get some tetracycline this afternoon and try that; hopefully I can get a vein.

Our vet has a long way to come so I end up doing these things all by my lonesome. Except the lifting part--my husband and our hired man are super at that. We don't use a hip lifter; we use a strap under the belly and hoist her that way. It takes some technique but it works well and does very little damage.

Kathleen":1ovtq5zv said:
My vet doesn't talk much....he didn't say why. But if this ever happens again I'll get some dex right away.

We lifted the heifer this a.m. and she stood very well all by herself, so we milked her that way. But she is hardly eating at all, so I guess I'll have to go at that problem with everything I can think of. Gave her CMPK this a.m. but am having trouble finding a vein, unfortunately. She won't drink either. If I give her water with electrolytes she will drink that, but only in small amounts. I'm going to get some tetracycline this afternoon and try that; hopefully I can get a vein.

Our vet has a long way to come so I end up doing these things all by my lonesome. Except the lifting part--my husband and our hired man are super at that. We don't use a hip lifter; we use a strap under the belly and hoist her that way. It takes some technique but it works well and does very little damage.

I feel for you. I never wanted the cow thing my husband did. It was his dream. Only thing is he works out of town. I learned to do allot of things on my own. I feel that I have to do what ever possible to take care of these cows. I also know my girl was in allot of pain and as someone said on here you can see it in their eyes when they are ready to go. To her credit though I will never loose another cow due to negligence or ignorance. There are to many good folks out here willing to help. I will ask for advice and help. This forum is full of good information. I have been reading and writing things down for future reference.
I know your doing all you can and I hope all goes well.

Kathleen":1fzk5xxy said:
We don't use a hip lifter; we use a strap under the belly and hoist her that way. It takes some technique but it works well and does very little damage.
Lots of times a strap will do much more harm than good...especially just one strap. A strap can do a lot of internal damage that you dont see. Why the tetracycline????
If a cow in that situation NEEDS an antibiotic she needs something to work NOW and keep working...if she doesnt NEED it, no use in putting it in her. My 2 cents...Good Luck

Yes, I do agree about the strap, and that was my main concern, that we were somehow putting a lot of strain on her internal organs. But I am told that hiplifters also do a lot of damage, and when the alternative is a bullet....well, might as well try. We have had 4 all told with pinched nerve, and this one is by far the worst. The other three made it....

So, how do things stand? (No pun intended...) Well, Yesterday a.m. we got her up and milked her and she stayed standing for awhile and even took a step before falling down. I did give her dextrose and tetracycline IV, mostly because I thought she was at risk for developing pneumonia and wasn't eating. We nursed her all afternoon with bits of hay and silage and some water. At evening milking we raised her again and this time she stood much better. In fact she walked around the pen, albeit very slowly. And she stayed that way all night, standing and slowly eating. This a.m. we milked her half-way out and fed her and then finally she laid down. She is resting quietly and eating a little. I gave her more drenches and some tetracycline. I don't really know why the tetracycline, just desperate, I guess, to get her eating again. Her temp had been at l04 before I started on it. She is still not eating normally and of course probably still can't get up on her own. But she is much better. I was ready to shoot her on Sunday.

I'll keep you all updated. I guess if you opt to keep trying you have to resort to less than conventional means.

By the way, the electrolytes in the water got her to drink for me when she refused to drink anything. Go figure...

To help out her stomach maybe try naxcel in the vein about 25 cc's or 25 of exacanel in the muscle. This medicine is supposed to help the stomach to keep moving. Also works very well in bottle calfs in small doses. To help get the appetite try mixing 12 cc's of B vitamin along with the dextrose and if you have anything in the sense of banimine will help the cow with the pain.

Thanks, Farmer Kevin--good advice. I just got some B vitamins in shot form so I'll give her that. I never used Naxel before. She is eating better and better each day; I can't tell you how good it all feels to have her on the mend. She gets up by herself now but we don't trust her to come out yet. I have her off antibiotics but I'll try the Naxel next time. (Ugh, wish I wouldn't say that).

I wondered about the advisability of giving tetracycline IV. I did a google search and came up with this. It looks like IV is risky cardiovacular wise.

Cardiovascular effects of intravenous administration of tetracycline in cattle.

Gyrd-Hansen N, Rasmussen F, Smith M.

Tetracycline chloride dissolved in saline was injected intravenously to seven cows. Two doses of tetracycline were used: 5 and 10 mg/kg b.wt, and the injections were given over a period of either 10, 60 or 300 sec. A number of the cows collapsed shortly after the injection was completed, usually when the 10 mg dosage was given in 60 sec. When the same dose was given over a period of 5 min none of the cows collapsed. A more or less pronounced drop in blood pressure could be detected during or shortly after the injection; in those cows which collapsed the blood pressure fell almost to zero. The predominant change in pulse rate in connection with the tetracycline administration was a decrease which could be quite marked, pulse rates falling as low as 10-20 per min. Simultaneously with these changes in blood pressure and pulse rate severe abnormalities in ECG could be observed. Pre-treatment with a normal therapeutic dose of calcium borogluconate intravenously prevented collapse in the cows and diminished the drop in blood pressure associated with an ensuing tetracycline injection. It is concluded that intravenous injection of tetracycline is hazardous, but that collapse can be avoided by giving the injection very slowly over a period of no less than 5 min.

Bama":cwb4ezv2 said:
Losing one occasionally is expected in this business. I think you deserve a lot of credit for the efforts you put into her.

Im not sure where I should have posted this. So many went threw all the trials and tribulations and gave such good advice I wanted to share this.
We had one more heifer we thought may be pregnant . We were going to sell her but I just felt like we could handle it. WELL she gave birth last night all by herself. We were there should she have needed help. It took her a little over two hours. The baby was long and lean. We stayed to make sure the baby sucked. I went down this morning and they are both doing well. IT makes it all worth while. Thanks again to all.

Latest posts