Dont get complacent

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS":1c5ircrg said:
Spent some time at the hospital last night. Saw a new calf in the field. The cow was a veteran cow and always has been gentle after calving in the past. I went to check her ear tag number for my records. I got about 20 ft away when she charged. No head shaking, no glare nothing. She knocked me over backward, tried to drive me in the ground with her head. Then she stomped on me about 10 times from my feet to my upper back with her hind feet. Amazing that I have no broken bones according to the xrays. I am bruised badly and cut in several places. She literally stomped my clothes to rags on my body. I am very fortunate. Never trust a cow......never!

Hoss look up the post titled man killed

Glad you are OK Hoss. A person always needs to keep one eye on them all the time.

My experience has been that if you are going to get run down by a cow it is best to happen in deep mud. The mud sort of pads things a bit. Hard ground or sod just doesn't offer the same cushion. And concrete is the worse. A 500 pound Char steer with little stubby horns can really do a number on you when on concrete covered with about a half inch of manure....... oh the fun of owning cattle.

Dave":2c9ygkyk said:
Glad you are OK Hoss. A person always needs to keep one eye on them all the time.

My experience has been that if you are going to get run down by a cow it is best to happen in deep mud. The mud sort of pads things a bit. Hard ground or sod just doesn't offer the same cushion. And concrete is the worse. A 500 pound Char steer with little stubby horns can really do a number on you when on concrete covered with about a half inch of manure....... oh the fun of owning cattle.

Unfortunately Dave this was on a gravel lane.....not much give.

I did eventually get her tag number. Number 71. I'll remember that one in my sleep. She had a bull calf....found that out yesterday. I'm going to give he a few days and see if her hormone levels go back to normal. If not she will either be sold or shot.

HOSS":1pqsksyy said:
Dave":1pqsksyy said:

Unfortunately Dave this was on a gravel lane.....not much give.

I did eventually get her tag number. Number 71. I'll remember that one in my sleep. She had a bull calf....found that out yesterday. I'm going to give he a few days and see if her hormone levels go back to normal. If not she will either be sold or shot.

I think that I would enjoy eating her more than selling her.

Wow! Glad you're okay, or will be eventually. Had a momma go after my husband once - we sold her & ate her calf. That said, if it was out of character is it possible she has anaplasmosis? Or just getting old & crotchety? Either way, buh-bye!

Cattle don't have "character". Nor do they have personalities. They have behaviour profiles and instinctive tendencies and part of this animals behavior profile is that she grounds and grinds humans.
That being said it is not my place to make recommendations on follow up.

VERY glad to hear you didn't receive any major injuries HOSS and here's to a speedy recovery. Maybe a good excuse to go out and get you some snazzy new duds!

It's a good reminder never to be without your cell phone when alone around the farm.

Glad you OK Hoss and heal up quickly, but like Dun said your insides may take awhile due to bruising etc.....I have been chased all over the field by cows that were normally gentle. Last year I had a loading chute fall on me and busted me up something good, so running from cows in the field is no longer a good option for me. We as cattlemen and women need to remember to not get complacent around livestock that is for dang sure.

Wow, scary. Glad it wasn't worse. Did you have a stick or anything? What made her finally stop?

Fall always seems to make mine riled up. i am especially careful this time of year.

boondocks":1ie4gwrd said:
Wow, scary. Glad it wasn't worse. Did you have a stick or anything? What made her finally stop?

Fall always seems to make mine riled up. i am especially careful this time of year.

I had a fiberglass sorting stick. I hit her hard across the face when she charged. She didn't even flinch and I am 6' 245lbs and no weakling. She did the first assault and then ran across my body, spun and charged back. In this time I was highly motivated to gain my feet and I beat her to the tractor which was about 30 ft away. I got behind it. When she started circling my dad took a whack at her with his stick and she charged him. Then she ran back to her calf and took it to the woods.

I never try to hit them to stop a charge. I am 6'2" and 250 and can pack a punch but I have seen them hit each other with shoots that would wipe me out and they never flinch. And the years playing at rodeos taught me that you can't out run them. If you have to go more than a step or two it is best to just out maneuver them. They can out run you but they can't turn as fast as you can. Step to their shoulder and go around. With each pass work closer to something to climb over, under, or hide behind.

Glad you're ok, I am more respect/fear of a cow with a new calf that I do a lot of things. I tag every calf but you're dam sure I'm doing it from somewhere safe everytime.

Dave":2pcqz69s said:
I never try to hit them to stop a charge. I am 6'2" and 250 and can pack a punch but I have seen them hit each other with shoots that would wipe me out and they never flinch. And the years playing at rodeos taught me that you can't out run them. If you have to go more than a step or two it is best to just out maneuver them. They can out run you but they can't turn as fast as you can. Step to their shoulder and go around. With each pass work closer to something to climb over, under, or hide behind.

Good advice Dave.

I'm glad you are ok Hoss.
We have one cow that was a pet but she changed after having her first calf you don't approach her newborn calves....she doesn't bluff! We had an older cow that had never acted up when checking her newborn calves but one year she calved in a thicket and I walked up to lift a leg on the calf to see if it was a bull or heifer and she charged I was back peddling through the brush and was lucky to stay on my feet. So you never know how some cows will act even if they're pets that you can scratch them on the head most of the time.

Latest posts