Dont get complacent

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Spent some time at the hospital last night. Saw a new calf in the field. The cow was a veteran cow and always has been gentle after calving in the past. I went to check her ear tag number for my records. I got about 20 ft away when she charged. No head shaking, no glare nothing. She knocked me over backward, tried to drive me in the ground with her head. Then she stomped on me about 10 times from my feet to my upper back with her hind feet. Amazing that I have no broken bones according to the xrays. I am bruised badly and cut in several places. She literally stomped my clothes to rags on my body. I am very fortunate. Never trust a cow......never!

Wow Hoss! :shock: Really glad that you are here to tell your story! Scary deal for sure.
Wishing you a good recovery.

glad your not hurt. I was opening a gate Sunday to move mine and the bull had a specific look in his eyes. I could see the cooler weather had him spunky. I untied the gate and stepped away. he came thru it doing a spectacular Bodacious impression. an hour or so later he was back to normal. IDK what had him riled up.

I'm glad you able to post this morning! Thanks for the reminder, I'm sure you'll be sore for a few days.

slick4591":pym87xfk said:
Wow! Sure glad you able to type this. Hope the soreness ends quickly.
The outer soreness will go away pretty fast, it's the bruised inner organs that will take a loooooong time. Kidneys, lungs, liver, etc. will still be painfull at times for a year or so. Been there done that have the shirt!

Hope you heal quickly! Thanks for reminding us, so very easy to get complacent around the farm, be it with equipment or large animals.

This is a topic I am having trouble with my 12 yr old son understanding. He is way too comfortable farting around the cattle. I keep warning him that he needs to position himself safely and pay attention to what the cattle are doing. It was to the point, yesterday I made him watch from outside the pen. If that boss cow thinks you have a treat she will start pushing and shoving the others. That big girl can move a lot quicker than I can. :shock:

MistyMorning":eglwof3p said:
Hope you heal quickly! Thanks for reminding us, so very easy to get complacent around the farm, be it with equipment or large animals.

:nod: :nod: :nod:
Absolutely!

A good reminder.

dun is correct about the inner bruising. I had bruised kidneys one time, along with a few bone bruises (horse related) and they took months to heal!

I sure am glad that you are okay, for the most part.

MistyMorning":3ckdavps said:
Absolutely. I have to remind myself constantly.

Glad you are ok... I had a close call too as i was carrying the treat bucket my biggest cow who always runs to me did just that and with all this rain it was slick and muddy and she tried to stop slid and bumped into me.

skyhightree1":3ll76879 said:
Glad you are ok... I had a close call too as i was carrying the treat bucket my biggest cow who always runs to me did just that and with all this rain it was slick and muddy and she tried to stop slid and bumped into me.
Is the cow alright?? :mrgreen: :hide:

TexasBred":szij78h1 said:
skyhightree1":szij78h1 said:

:lol2: I think she will be back to normal in a week.

TexasBred":1t9cvmre said:
skyhightree1":1t9cvmre said:

Lol!

Sorry to read about your terrible time. Thankful it was not any worse. I warn my husband about taking chances around the cows all the time. I keep my distance. You never know what one will end up doing and they can do it before you know it. Take care.

Latest posts