Dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

Ok, I've seen dogs bleed to death being cut, die from toxicity from being banded, and mutilate the farmer's arm from being pinched. (only saw one...) And you guys wonder why the heck animal rights activists are targeting farmers.?!?
I am not a bleeding heart liberal but what if it was YOU we were talking about. If the dog dies, and it's LIKELY, what have the kids learned? If it lives, it'll not be the same dog.

Spend the fifty bucks and get it done right!

You guys know I am not a big fan of spending money but I'll have to agree with Vicki the Vet on this one. The only money I would waste on a stray in a bullet. However, if you want to keeo the dog then he's no longer a stray, now hes your pet.

Texan,

Again your off topic, the post is about dogs, but I asked you how you castrated your calves? Band or knife? I realize many ranchers use a knife of cattle, my point about calves is be on top of things and band when you can.

My objection is casterating a dog without meds.

I'd like to think that most cow country vets are like mine. If I asked him for a local just to cut calves, he'd still be rolling on the floor laughing when I left empty-handed!

I don't think so, I hope not , I think most Vets would be happy to sell a product, it's as much about profit as anything.

I think we have gone far enough with this, I feel it was for the most part agood debate.

Thanks,
alan

Humane society.???. Where they lock a bunch of them in a chamber and gas them? What is humane about that? Maybe they use a different method someplaces, but this is the one I know about.

In our area and I believe all areas of the U.S. the Humane Society uses the same thing Vets use to euthanize a campanion animal (dog, cat, ect.), they give the animal a IV injection and overdose them on a narcotic (barbiturate). They simply go to sleep, years ago they used to thrash a bit, but not any more (at least I have never seen any thrash and I have seen more than many). If you have a Vet do it you have an option of being there with your pet at the time for your and the animals comfort. I've seen it done many times. I think the Humane Societies are too closely monitored to be anything but Humane.

I too feel a bullet between the eyes is quick and appears painless, in the head not the chest.

I'm not against shooting strays, I'm against shooting pets.

Alan

I believe all areas of the U.S. the Humane Society uses the same thing Vets use to euthanize a campanion animal (dog, cat, ect.), they give the animal a IV injection and overdose them on a narcotic (barbiturate). They simply go to sleep, years ago they used to thrash a bit, but not any more (at least I have never seen any thrash and I have seen more than many). If you have a Vet do it you have an option of being there with your pet at the time for your and the animals comfort. I've seen it done many times. I think the Humane Societies are too closely monitored to be anything but Humane.

Don't be so sure of that. The cost of the injection is very expensive AND it a controlled substance so there is a lot of record keeping involved. Humane Societies are on a tight budget.

Texan":2tp0bdb2 said:
... you're fighting a losing battle if you expect the rest of us to use a "local" when doing something as elementary and mundane as cutting calves. And it has nothing to do with a vet-client relationship, or lack thereof. Its about the bottom line. I'd like to think that most cow country vets are like mine. If I asked him for a local just to cut calves, he'd still be rolling on the floor laughing when I left empty-handed!

During castrating, and also post-op, we always use a sedative. We have also found music therapy to be most helpful. Selecting the proper genre is of utmost importance. Brahms seems to be more soothing than the more bombastic pieces such as Beethoven's odd symphonies. While a semi-private stall is acceptable a private stall will have untold intrinsic benefits during convalescence. Plus the wife can set her pot plants on shelving installed especially for that purpose. The new steers seem to appreciate it and the plants love the music. A cheerful wallpaper also seems to pick up the spirits of all involved.

Craig-TX

Don't be so sure of that. The cost of the injection is very expensive AND it a controlled substance so there is a lot of record keeping involved. Humane Societies are on a tight budget.

Showmom, your right on, I don't know how they do it all over. With that in mind, I have enough experience in the area to know this. the cost of the narcotic is not very much. All the Humane Societies I have had business with either have a Vet on staff (part time or volunteer) or have a DEA license for someone (Vet or county offical (?)) but they have the ability to buy the conrtrolled substance. As with all Vets there is big time record keeping on controls. Also a vet does not have to be the one to euthanize a animal at the humane societies around here, a tech can do it.

Another assumption on my part is with the way the county is today I don't believe outfits such a PETA would allow gasing of animals today. Too many watch dogs out there. And I don't think alot of outfits like PETA are all good for us.

Thanks,
Alan

PS Craig-TX glad to hear your comming around, they like country also stay away from rap. ;-)

Craig-TX":23l6b99k said:
Texan":23l6b99k said:
... you're fighting a losing battle if you expect the rest of us to use a "local" when doing something as elementary and mundane as cutting calves. And it has nothing to do with a vet-client relationship, or lack thereof. Its about the bottom line. I'd like to think that most cow country vets are like mine. If I asked him for a local just to cut calves, he'd still be rolling on the floor laughing when I left empty-handed!

During castrating, and also post-op, we always use a sedative. We have also found music therapy to be most helpful. Selecting the proper genre is of utmost importance. Brahms seems to be more soothing than the more bombastic pieces such as Beethoven's odd symphonies. While a semi-private stall is acceptable a private stall will have untold intrinsic benefits during convalescence. Plus the wife can set her pot plants on shelving installed especially for that purpose. The new steers seem to appreciate it and the plants love the music. A cheerful wallpaper also seems to pick up the spirits of all involved.

Craig-TX

Craig I'm rolling I haven't tried music therapy, looking for advice here. As I don't have any Brahms do you think George Jones would work. Also I don't have a stereo system at the pens could I use the truck radio/cd as a substitue. Thanks for the advice. :idea:

Caustic Burno":appt88c6 said:
.....could I use the truck radio/cd as a substitue.
Caustic, I figured a guy like you would probably still be using 8-tracks.......

Texan":33vm8nxi said:
Caustic Burno":33vm8nxi said:

Still have the player, tapes are hard to come by, save the the good tapes for special events Barn burnings, rat killings, and hoe downs.

Craig-TX":1c6g5tex said:
Texan":1c6g5tex said:

Craig-TX
:D You got to love it!

Texan":15rfyruh said:
Caustic Burno":15rfyruh said:

What is an 8-track?
Is that something new I can attach to the Victola? My old records are getting a bit "scratchy". Just trying to stay up to date.

My apologies for getting a fight going on this subject. I do appreciate all the advice offered.
jim

Jim,

No need to apologize, if you look on other post on this board you'll see some with "pad locks" on them. Lately slamming people and bickering have been a regular occurance. Until some of us stop hammering the different opinions it will continue or we'll get kicked off. I'm included in that group. Was not your fault, you simply asked a question, than the "kids" (me included) got involved and it turned into a fight. Don't be afraid to ask questions, some people just seem to like to hammer others.

Alan

Isn't it about time to let this sleeping dog (no pun intended) lie?

dun

Isn't it about time to let this sleeping dog (no pun intended) lie?

dun

LOL Dun I think you might be flirting with a strike for this one. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts