Dogs Instincts

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Talking about dogs and stuff...

I am fascinated at different dog breeds natural abilities. Like how curr dogs bay things up, hounds track, bulldogs catch and herd, labs retrieve, ect...

Muts have their place but nothing beats watching a good pure bred dog work.

Just wondering what dogs yall have and what they do?

Little story:
When one of my young Bulldog Pitt Xs was just a couple months old I had her at my Grandmother's house (getting her socialized ;-)) . It was her maiden trip out so I was watching her closely... even though she was not big enough to hurt anything, fat, and awkward on her feet still.

One of my family members has 3 Iggies... :x ... those things test MY abilities to control agression. They are the kind who do what they want because they think they are so small and cute.(One of the Iggies actually bit another one of my bulldogs on the nose at deer camp two years ago. My bulldog wined and came laid under my chair. What breed is the agressive on again?) :mad:

All the dogs were running around in the yard and stuff no problems. I made the comment I hope that they don't hit or someting while they are running around because those Iggies look fragile. They laughed and said,"That mut ain't fast enough to catch them." (Kind of high on the horse because they paid $$ for their dogs.)

I am watching the dog and she starts working back and fourth and then I notice her perk up.

I get up trying not to make a scene or alarm any one to go and repremand the dog. I am making my way through the people and before I get through the Iggies let out a loud yelp. :shock:

I look over and my bulldog pup is standing about 5' from the corner of the house and yard fence with 3 shaking Iggies piled in the corner.

I walk over and slap the dog on the rear and tell her "get outta there" and she follows me back to the crowd and mingles then goes back out and naps under a tree.

My Grandfather laughed... he said no matter how fast those little dogs are they are not too smart. He said he watched my dog herd them right into the corner. He said you can't beet a good working instinct no matter how much you pay.

We both laughed. He is from the old time when they used bulldogs to hold cattle to brand and stuff. Its great to listen to his stories.

I do not condone dog fighting and am not bragging about the situation. I will not tolerate that and I did repremand the dog. That is the point of taking them out early to learn before they are big enough to do damage. But it was a good example of instinct at its best... no matter how young the dog is. ;-)

Brute 23":2y400usk said:
Just wondering what dogs yall have and what they do?

I have 2 American Eskimo/Border Collie/Husky crosses. They don't do much except provide companionship to me, protect me, and give me someone to talk to.

I have a 125 pound Newfoundland/Shepherd. She is a swimmer. Loves water, thankfully for her we live on a river. She can't walk past it without diving in. As soon as the ice is off she is in there - just shows how much cold they can stand.
She also has that extremely strong Newfie jaw. She could easily tug 200 pounds like it was 10 pounds. At the same time though she only likes small rawhide chews, the big ones are too hard for her. :roll:
She is a great guard dog, standing in front of me to protect but never running out to attack. She likes to sleep on my lap when we are in the feed truck (yeah, she's bigger than me). She never leaves my side no matter what and can read my mind most times (wish she would teach my husband how). Her greatest asset is her loyalty. Lord Byron's poem for Boatswaine his Newfie describes our dog:
Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferosity,
and all the Virtues of Man without his Vices.

Sorry, I am getting sentimental again. :oops: I've been doing that a lot lately. Her hips and elbow are getting bad and we know she won't make it through the winter. At least not if she were to be coming to work everyday and she would rather die than not come to work. Amazing how close we get to our dogs isn't it? Especially those of us that spend all day with them on a job.