Dogs in Pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

cherokeeruby'

Reaction score
Saw a couple of dogs running across the pasture yesterday. Grabbed the
12 gauge, and ran out in my sock feet. New neighbor was right behind
them, trying to call them back. Chickens went crazy, geese went north,
and all the damn racket stampeded the cows.

He finally got the two dogs
under control after his whole family drove up. When they opened the car
door, a third dog jumped out. They called it "Rags", and said that it
just showed up, so they adopted it.

The neighbor gave me the impression
that they didn't really care for the dog. I suggested that he leave it
with me. I was trying to be helpful. Would have been no trouble since
I already had the gun out.

From the looks I got, I was wrong. They did
care for the dog.

Did you invite them over for bar-b-que?

Our neighbor's dogs respect our fence line...'course a dog hating cow helps, she almost got one last summer and our dogs give her a wide birth.

cherokeeruby'":16s0jrvj said:
Saw a couple of dogs running across the pasture yesterday. Grabbed the
12 gauge, and ran out in my sock feet. New neighbor was right behind
them, trying to call them back. Chickens went crazy, geese went north,
and all the be nice racket stampeded the cows. He finally got the two dogs
under control after his whole family drove up. When they opened the car
door, a third dog jumped out. They called it "Rags", and said that it
just showed up, so they adopted it. The neighbor gave me the impression
that they didn't really care for the dog. I suggested that he leave it
with me. I was trying to be helpful. Would have been no trouble since
I already had the gun out. From the looks I got, I was wrong. They did
care for the dog.

A good Jack Ass will stop them dogs they will avoid your place like the plauge, and you don't have to run out in your pasture in your nightgown.

Our Longhorns keep the critters out of their area...even the calves. When I walk down an alley with my dog it stays on the far side of the alley or in the middle. Even the barn cats keep their distance when searching for moles & gophers in the pastures.

Thanks for sharing that story, Ruby.

It's good to know that I'm not the only one that roars outside with a firearm clad in her nightie (last time was when a couple of wolves were trotting right up past the house).

Bet the expression on your neighbour's face was priceless! I'd also wager that he invests in some dog chains soon. ;-)

Take care.

Finally someone who understands my story.

CattleAnnie":1ub0a1zj said:
Thanks for sharing that story, Ruby.

It's good to know that I'm not the only one that roars outside with a firearm clad in her nightie (last time was when a couple of wolves were trotting right up past the house).

Bet the expression on your neighbour's face was priceless! I'd also wager that he invests in some dog chains soon. ;-)

Take care.

There is nothing worse than a dog running deer, or a dog running cows...but there is a surefire way (shotgun) to cure for both of them..

Campground Cattle":9bchcs3l said:
A good Jack Ass will stop them dogs they will avoid your place like the plauge, and you don't have to run out in your pasture in your nightgown.

Guess the key is a "good" gaurd donkey. Dogs or coyotes one killed our Jenny a few days ago. She was not very agessive, and even stayed to herself quite a bit. The coyotes have been making an awful lot of racket around here the last few weeks, but I find it hard to believe they could have brought her down.

I haven't run out in sock feet or pajamas just yet to shoot a stray dog, but I did have to kill one before I went to school last year. My mom pulled up in the drive just as I had rested the .243 on the front weights of the 6610- I was propped there getting ready to shoot a stray dog that had killed a bunch of chickens the night before. There were dead chickens strewn out all over the side lot, driveway, everywhere. Nothing like shooting a high-powered rifle before going to school to shape young minds!! ;-) We still laugh about it.

Case IH":2bfsaatc said:
There is nothing worse than a dog running deer, or a dog running cows...but there is a surefire way (shotgun) to cure for both of them..

Shoot a good deer dog in this country you better be heading out of the county.

If it is legal to run deer with dogs and it is on your property or property you have permission to hunt then im all for it. But around these parts it's illegal and people still do it, and for the most part people let their dogs run lose and could care less about them, its no fun to sit in a treestand all day and hear dogs barking non-stop running deer.

Any dog that I see step foot on our place that isn't invited is dead - no questions asked. If it's your "good" dog of any sort then it had better stay off our place, I don't care whose it is.

Caustic Burno":pxejsz4g said:
Case IH":pxejsz4g said:

Shoot a good deer dog in this country you better be heading out of the county.

Own a dog that runs deer in this country and you better be heading out to get a new dog, because it ain't gonna last long. Running deer with dogs is illegal in MO and not tolerated by anyone in my part of the country. This is the only instance when the "if it has a collar, let it go" rule doesn't apply.

Speaking of dogs, just yesterday morning we got woken up by barking and the neighbour's collie was chasing our heifers. My husband went to get the gun but by the time he got it loaded the dog had been chased out to the road allowance by the heifers. Guess the girls got tired of being the ones being chased. So I start my vehicle, scrape off the windows and go over to the neighbours. I just love these conversations with acreage people. :roll: You tell them that their dog was chasing the cows (of course I didn't tell them that the heifers were chasing the dogs too :p ) and of course they are sorry but they don't mean it when they say it. So I just said that the dog will be shot next time, that makes them pay attention a bit. I don't get why someone would listen to their dog barking and not do a thing about it?! Of course they also have a couple of puppies, they are just growing their own little pack up. :mad:
I have heard that it is now illegall here to shoot a dog unless you have proof it was attacking your animals. Being on private property isn't enough. Anyone know about the law in Canada? Might have to check with the RCMP.

Got a good laugh out of your story, Ruby. I can't say as I've ever run out in my pj's with the gun, but I've come pretty close when we have some stray mutt standing in our backyard.

It's a pretty close community over here...everyone knows everyone else's dog, and neighbors won't shoot a dog when they know who it belongs to - or at least not on the first offense. Dumped dogs are another matter.

I've been really lucky with my dogs, as 1) they're kenneled unless I'm with them, and 2) the one dawg that does like to go adventuring when my back is turned is my 8 y/o yellow Lab, and all the neighbors know her. She doesn't run livestock, keeps her distance from the cows, and usually just goes by everyone's house and then moves on. Maybe once every other month she'll decide to see the countryside. My neighbors are really tolerant; I've asked them before if she's being a problem, and they say she's fine, and that they wouldn't shoot her anyway because they know who she belongs to. Well that's nice. I tell them to give me a call if she's causing trouble at their place, but so far she hasn't and there hasn't been any phone calls.

Victoria":192pybyk said:
Anyone know about the law in Canada? Might have to check with the RCMP.

Don't know about what the letter of the law says, but my local RCMP tell me if there is a strange dog in the yard or the pasture that they sure aren't going to say anything if it gets shot.

I have children and cattle. If there is a strange dog around, I shoot first, ask questions later. If the neighbors can't raise dogs smart enough to stay on their own place, then the neighbors shouldn't be raising dogs.

Rod