Dogs in Pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

I've got a neighbor across the fence from the barn that has about 12 or 15 pitt bull bitches that he raises pups to sell from. Everyone of them is leaning on the chain, snarling and barking everytime we go to the barn. I've got about 20 steers at that place and I know one of these days there will be trouble. I've told him that when one gets loose and chases one of the calves or gets mean with one of the kids they are dead. I just hope I don't find out one is loose before I see it. I don't like looking over my shoulder on my own place. The guy is one of those types who thinks it's funny when they get after something. This ain't good.

El_Putzo":1004gept said:
Caustic Burno":1004gept said:
Case IH":1004gept said:
There is nothing worse than a dog running deer, or a dog running cows...but there is a surefire way (shotgun) to cure for both of them..

Shoot a good deer dog in this country you better be heading out of the county.

Own a dog that runs deer in this country and you better be heading out to get a new dog, because it ain't gonna last long. Running deer with dogs is illegal in MO and not tolerated by anyone in my part of the country. This is the only instance when the "if it has a collar, let it go" rule doesn't apply.

Hunting with dogs was banned here in Texas also but there might be a few diehards back in them piney woods where Caustic holes up. The game wardens are probably worried about goin' back in there without air support.

:shock: My llama, Tony, stomps dogs. A chow got in with the bottle calves, and ole Tony lit out after him, little sharp cloven
hooves just a flyin. never saw the chow dog, again( except making a very wide berth around my place! ) :lol2:

Did you know your llama was famous when you bought him? You probably don't even have to work with all the commissions he brings in on boots and clothes. :lol: :lol:

Saw a dog gutted by an Emu once. It was nasty.

Happened so quick me and the guy I was with almost missed it.

Surprised the dog too. But not for long.............

Dun,
You wouldn't happen to be our Premier Ralph Klein in disguise would you? :shock: :p

DiamondSCattleCo,
The problem isn't the cops it's the witnesses. On the one road we have 5 acreages. I was reading that the Humane Society is trying to crack down on people who shoot dogs who are not "really hurting anything". Personally, I think people should teach their dogs to stay home. My dog wouldn't dare go to their place so why should their's come here? I think we should be able to shoot them but I need to know how careful to be.

Hate to say it, but I shot the neighbor's dog Sunday for being out and about on my property. I feel kinda bad about it too. Its amazing what goes through your head in the split second you're taking aim and pulling the trigger. Neighbor is usually really good about keeping their dogs penned up, but this one had obviously been tied with a rope that he had chewed through, and I've lost ALL my chickens to dogs, and one time a dog bit my paint's nose off (yes, OFF), so I have little tolerance for them even being close to my fence line. So, while I was aiming, I was thinking, "Neighbor relations (they're really good neighbors), no more chickens (does it really matter if he's here?), 3 horses that are now dog stompers, and one mama cow dog killer (they'll get him if I let him go), do I shoot to kill (neighbor relations), or do I shoot to scare?"