dog attack

Help Support CattleToday:

holly heifer

Reaction score
:mad: Neighbors dogs got down and killed one of the calves.
It was about a week old and doing well. The cow is sorta old
and did not cycle like she should, therefore a late calf. Shall
we say the errant pooches are now worm food ????? :x
You betcha:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :devil2:

and any others they acquire and choose to let run

Finding a calf like that is so sickening. Dogs like that...there's no other choice than to make them worm food, and fast.

We had some dogs around here that people moved off and left. These dogs were inbred about 3 times over. They were smaller dogs and mean as snakes. They made it as far as our lower pasture once, but were met by my brother's cur dog and chow/husky cross...apparently they decided they didn't want to hang around after that. :D

The neighbor who raises horses trapped one in a live trap and was going to take it to the humane society, I guess to have it euthanized. She was trying to load the dog and it was so wild and mean she decided to euthanize it right there...bang. She said she never could get close enough to the others to get a shot at them. That was about 3 months ago. I thought sure that by now the other's had made it to the highway and been run over...or other neightbor's had finally pegged them (hear shots from time to time), but about 4 days ago I saw one of them as I was driving into town. The dog must be made of pure iron.

Alice

I follow the three "S" rule of thumb, shoot, shovel and shut up.

I have had to "remove" four wild dogs from my place over the last 6 years.

My biggest fear right is that they will pull down calves once they hit the ground.

I now have a second generation night scope for my .223 that gives me day and night predator control capability.

I use a Benjamin Tyler Henry 44mag lever action with blue glazer rounds in it....if they hit the ground they just explode....and if they hit the intended target they just poke into a body cavity and sort of act like a hand grenade....don't have to worry about what is in back of it too much. Just have to be sure to hit the target and not another cow or calf out there.

AngusLimoX":2qoxqvff said:
Alice":2qoxqvff said:
These dogs were inbred about 3 times over. They were smaller dogs and mean as snakes.

Alice

Is that a picture of one of them to the left of your post??

:lol: :lol:

I'd answer that, but all you'd see is "be nice, be nice, be nice, be nice, be nice." :p

Alice

:x I follow the shoot, shovel and shut up rule of thumb.
It would do no good to try and make them pay for the lost calf. :mad: I love my dog, but if she EVER kills livestock, then
she too will be worm food! :x ( she weighs 11o lbs and could
easily bring down a calf)

holly heifer":1qkh58cu said:

You have had a dog problem for a long time if you are having livestock attacks. You can beat this wasn't there first rodeo.
Dogs can travel large distances in a night, tonight they hit you tomorrow neighbor ten miles through the woods.
I have a 22 mag rifle in every vehicle from the mule to the tractor for strays. If I see five coyotes and one stray I am shooting the stray.

Now you have been woke up shoot shovel and shut up, don't go to town running your mouth about losing a calf and so an so dogs. This is a time to shut up and go to work.
Might want to learn how to set a trap line.

Caustic Burno":1wu6zf7y said:
holly heifer":1wu6zf7y said:

You have had a dog problem for a long time if you are having livestock attacks. You can beat this wasn't there first rodeo.
Dogs can travel large distances in a night, tonight they hit you tomorrow neighbor ten miles through the woods.
I have a 22 mag rifle in every vehicle from the mule to the tractor for strays. If I see five coyotes and one stray I am shooting the stray.
Now you have been woke up shoot shovel and shut up, don't go to town running your mouth about losing a calf and so an so dogs. This is a time to shut up and go to work.
Might want to learn how to set a trap line.

I agree fully.
I have heard of people having to pay a big price for killing someones (prize, expensive) mutt.

Neighbors had two rotweillers who would not quite chasing. Called them, then the sheriff, and then marlin 30-30. I hung the both of them up on the end of my driveways gateposts and sit there when they came home from work. They called the law and long story short they paid for 2 calves and the court cost. I will try 2 get along but there is only so far u can be pushed. I don't like people who think that their dogs can go anywhere and do anything and be immune. My dogs stay home and if they wander and get shot I have 2 eat it, it is my fault . Do not be nice to ur neighbors and make dogs disappear b/c they will bring more just like them in. Tell them and then shoot the dogs and let them know. In the long run they might be mad but ur cows will not be chased.

Snares work great. Might surprise you at what you'll catch, Coyotes,and Dogs. I used to want to think that a stray Dog was somebody's pet. After losing 5 Calves about 4 years ago, I changed my way of thinking right quick.

Like CB said, Keep quiet, and don't brag about what you do with eradication. You may find that stray has more rights than you do.

C & C Land & Catt":2g09q6nl said:
Neighbors had two rotweillers who would not quite chasing. Called them, then the sheriff, and then marlin 30-30. I hung the both of them up on the end of my driveways gateposts and sit there when they came home from work. They called the law and long story short they paid for 2 calves and the court cost. I will try 2 get along but there is only so far u can be pushed. I don't like people who think that their dogs can go anywhere and do anything and be immune. My dogs stay home and if they wander and get shot I have 2 eat it, it is my fault . Do not be nice to ur neighbors and make dogs disappear b/c they will bring more just like them in. Tell them and then shoot the dogs and let them know. In the long run they might be mad but ur cows will not be chased.
No the cows won't chased, they'll be shot in the middle of the night. SSS.

If I shot dogs here and hung them from the gatepost I would for sure have my firearms confiscated, likely be arrested for animal cruelty and go to the hoosecow for a couple months.

Parts of the province even have a limit of 2 yotes a year ( trying to protect the grey wolf :roll: ).

Now if I took care of business quietly that would be a different story.

I take no pleaseure in shooting dogs, have always had one as a pet, got 3 right now. It's a shame the dog has to pay for the ignorant disrespect for other peoples property rights that their owners display.

Latest posts