Does this bull calf look funny?

Help Support CattleToday:

kostiuk

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to raising cows and I began building a small herd about year and a half ago. The problem I have now is that I bought a bull calf at the local auction in March thinking that as he got older I could have him breed my heifers. I guessed him to be about 4 months old when I got him and thought he looked OK but the longer I've had him the goofier he looks. At about 11 months old now he looks pretty funny to me. What do you folks think? Is there something wrong here or will he grow into a normal cow?

OK, I just noticed I can't post a picture. Anybody interested in letting me e-mail them a picture of him and giving their opinion? I think it might be good for a laugh anyway. :lol:
Thanks, Kevin K.

I don't know. The local auctions around here are pretty much hit or miss so you need to know a lot more than I do. My old friend who was helping me passed away earlier this year and I don't know anyone else well enough to get help from. I'm doing the best I can for what I know but the type of bull your asking about is more money than I can afford. A lot of the people around here that I have talked to or know of are buying and selling like I am but they've been doing it a lot longer than me so they can tell what to look. I am dealing at the low end of the scale, money wise. I bought a cow/calf at the same auction and they look really good so I don't feel like I'm doing too bad.
Thanks, Kevin K.

Here's the bull

bull.jpg

Wish I could see more close up, and more of a side view...but my first opinion is that he looks like he is fat--more like a fat steer than a bull. How tall is that fence? He looks like he would be good eating. Donna

I looked into AI early on in this operation and could only find one fellow around here to do it and he didn't think he would have too much luck doing the few heifers I've got. He does bigger farms mostly I guess.
The son of my friend who died took over his farm and he said he has a few young bulls that I can get. It sounds like that's what I'd better do.
The fence is about 4 or 4 1/2 feet tall, the bull is about 3 feet tall and he's really fat. I think he would be very tasty but my wife won't have any of that. I can buy and sell but no killing. :( It's kinda frustrating but it is what it is.
So if this bull is not any good for breeding my heifers, would it do me any good to make a steer out of him and sell him in the spring or should I just cut my losses?
Thank for the help folks. Kevin K.

Looks almost dwarfish to me. But I've only seen to actual dwarfs in my life.

dun

Rangenerd":128ui4mi said:
For your sake, please tell me that you know the basic epd's of the bulls you breed to your heifers. To blindly breed them screams C-sections and vet bills.
Life isn't about EPDs :roll:

As for the bull, eat him. He's really fat and I've never seen an 11 month old that short.

dun":3uanmz3o said:
Looks almost dwarfish to me. But I've only seen to actual dwarfs in my life.

dun
Agreed.

I say butcher him anyway. My wife was the same way untill she took her first bite. Now she starts picking calves as soon as the freezer starts to get low.

I wouldn't worry about the animal being a bull...as fat as he is he should taste great.

Sam the bull leaves the farm
80966c99.jpg

Twenty month old red angus bull....tastes better than most steers.
Just my two bits worth,,,DMc

I didn't want to say he was short and then it was a 8' fence, thats why I asked. Why do you want to breed animals if you are not going to "kill" or butcher them? Depending on the number of heifers you have you may want to re-think the plan. Bred well grown out heifers bring good money here (even cross breds)., so AI them and take them to the sale barn. Then you will not have to worry about calves, expecially bull calves, or the feed/hay bills and you won't have to castrate or butcher any.

We personally, only raise cattle to grow beef, grass farmers*L*. So if we keep a heifer we expect her to raise replacements or beef...not show calves or pets. Donna

Susie David":1mrcxfw1 said:
I wouldn't worry about the animal being a bull...as fat as he is he should taste great.

Sam the bull leaves the farm

Twenty month old red angus bull....tastes better than most steers.
Just my two bits worth,,,DMc

Dressing %? Betting it was pretty good.

I agree with dun, it's dwarfed, by birth or illness. I only say this because my wife got one for free, dwarfed calf , and the body type was just the same.

It died...

alan

Could this little bull possibly be of a miniture breed rather than deformed..... Kinda looks to me like a "Belted Galloway" ~without the Belt :eek:
If by chance this was the case .... Wouldn't he be perfect to breed to Heifers ..... no calving problems there ?
Then move onto a Full Size bull for the next breeding season ?

Gwenhwyfar":6w1xqhhu said:
Could this little bull possibly be of a miniture breed rather than deformed..... Kinda looks to me like a "Belted Galloway" ~without the Belt :eek:
If by chance this was the case .... Wouldn't he be perfect to breed to Heifers ..... no calving problems there ?

No offense to the pictured bull, but there are lots of good full size heifer bulls out there, without breeding to a runt and passing on bad genitics... if this bull is truley a runt.

My first year of calving a rented a bull for my 5 hereford cows. one of the calves he threw was 26lbs. I gave her to some friends, it took her 3 yrs to reach 800lbs, they butchered her.

Alan

Gwenhwyfar":buvhef8w said:

Just because he is a dink does not mean he is a calving ease bull. My neighbor had a salebarn bull about 1000 lbs (mature) that threw monster calves. He lost numerous calves and a few cows. For what his cheap bull actually ended up costing him in cow and calf losses he could have bought several good bulls from reputable breeders that actually had a breeding program with pedigree records, weights, and epds to back them up.

Latest posts