Does anybody make a living with cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
ddd75":1mkcsa9w said:
Lots of moneyt o be made fixing equipment, no doubt. not sure why these guys think its funny.

I have a buddy who can fix anything.. He just got me a big backhoe.. pulled it out of the junkyard and took an engine out of a combine and through into it. Things purrs like a kitten, runs like a new one. He sold it to me for 4 grand.. He only had about 1500 into it total. worth about 9k easy. He has so much equipment, more then most dealerships have. hah
I think a few in here are bored and try to start trouble.. But yeah, its what separates people who want to make money with the people who just want throw money away... The art of mechanics is a lost art....So glad our son has learned from his father.

cowgirl8":1ihnrmx8 said:
Caustic Burno":1ihnrmx8 said:
Ol' 243":1ihnrmx8 said:
Wow, that's.crazy . . . . . . . . .lemme know if you run across a chicken sheit spreader, I'm looking for one.

Is anyone else enjoying this as much as me? :lol: :lol:

This thread has gotten richer than 3 foot up a bulls a$$
Funny as you guys might find it, its what separates the people who do it for a living with the hobby guys.. :lol2:
Man! You are one arrogant outfit... Remind me of a man..betting your husband is as wipped as a stepchild

cowgirl8":tkxu5tnb said:
ddd75":tkxu5tnb said:
... The art of mechanics is a lost art....

Mechanics is not an art form, it is mechanics. . . . . . . . . . I've made a nice living at it for 30 years. There is quite a difference between a shade tree mechanic and a professional.

Ol' 243":2wec6lqa said:
cowgirl8":2wec6lqa said:
ddd75":2wec6lqa said:
... The art of mechanics is a lost art....

Mechanics is not an art form, it is mechanics. . . . . . . . . . I've made a nice living at it for 30 years. There is quite a difference between a shade tree mechanic and a professional.
It is when you can make your own parts and equipment... It is a art when you take it to a different level...

Sometimes maintenance cost, in conjunction with opportunity cost, can far exceed depreciation on a newer piece of equipment.

cowgirl8":omxb7ikt said:
Ol' 243":omxb7ikt said:

It is when you can make your own parts and equipment... It is a art when you take it to a different level...

NO its not, Machining parts or building equipment is engineering and mechanics . Some people call a pile of dogshyt art . there is a difference .

I have two neighbors that make a living with cattle. One runs around 800 momma cows, rents about half the land and owns the rest. The other has around 200 momma cows and runs 6-700 yearlings. They are both worth a lot of money, all of it came from cattle.

M-5":366yko19 said:
cowgirl8":366yko19 said:
Ol' 243":366yko19 said:

NO its not, Machining parts or building equipment is engineering and mechanics . Some people call a pile of dogshyt art . there is a difference .
Why would this bother you so much.

cowgirl8":1dglle84 said:
M-5":1dglle84 said:
cowgirl8":1dglle84 said:

Why would this bother you so much.

your opinion is not the end all be all answer. You don't have the patent on ingenuity and its the way you go about trying to interact Puffing out your chest and beating it stating that its everybody's elses problem if they disagree with your ME ME ME ME attitude.

midTN_Brangusman":zshtnzbe said:
I have two neighbors that make a living with cattle. One runs around 800 momma cows, rents about half the land and owns the rest. The other has around 200 momma cows and runs 6-700 yearlings. They are both worth a lot of money, all of it came from cattle.
It can be done.

M-5":320vex9b said:
your opinion is not the end all be all answer. You don't have the patent on ingenuity and its the way you go about trying to interact Puffing out your chest and beating it stating that its everybody's elses problem if they disagree with your ME ME ME ME attitude.

What's funny is when you think you're so smart, but you don't even know when someone is jerking you're chain. :lol2:

Ol' 243":4z3rj34a said:
M-5":4z3rj34a said:

What's funny is when you think you're so smart, but you don't even know when someone is jerking you're chain. :lol2:
No what is sad is when a few of you cause all this and i'm treating you like you're little children and trying to move things along.... trust me, there are only a few sad sacks laughing. Sad

I'm certain there are some folks making money in cattle..several different ways too.
I think backhoeboogie hit the nail on the head when he used the word RECENTLY in his earlier post.

Every one of the successful(meaning dont work off farm) outfits near me is running minimum 200 broad cows, is 4th generation (or made their money in another career, retired and is spending big retirement money to make a go)..also 4th gen families land was bought 80-100 years ago, still being row cropped on many of the acres. Diversity.
One of the bigger guys around us retired from a very successful engineering/production
career. Told us point blank, always been my dream to own cattle. So I'm doing it. He does it big too. Everything is high end, no short cuts. A real show place. Kinda place any one would be proud to have. Has great cattle too, real heavy into quality genetics...he also said he is blowing his retirement and all the loot he made (read millionaire) faster than he dreamed possible. Point is, im sure folks make some money at it...if they got the one bought and paid for cheap..but you sure ain't going to start up around here buying 8-10 grand an acre ground on a note, run beef on it and have it pay for itself and your livelihood...the numbers just dont add up. It's basic math..anybody here has cattle, also has hogs, row crops, inherited land, and or a trust fund2

Some it is just a matter that they were in the right place at the right time. I know a guy who sold his fairly nice house and 20 acres here. Bought 2,000 acres of sage brush and rock for $175 a acre. He also picked up a BLM lease to summer the cows on. That may seem cheap to many here but that was all it was worth then and still today. He was running a few cows on BLM lease and wintering on that rock and sage. Them they built a destination resort next door. Suddenly his land was worth $1,500 an acre. That set him up on real nice ranch where he runs 750 pairs. No inheritance, no big money from outside work, just a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

cowgirl8":1aip9ypx said:
Ol' 243":1aip9ypx said:
M-5":1aip9ypx said:

No what is sad is when a few of you cause all this and i'm treating you like you're little children and trying to move things along.... trust me, there are only a few sad sacks laughing. Sad
the majority of the time....braggers are the most insecure people you'll find..see it often. Personally I'm not like Bernie I don't care how much you have.character goes a long way...

ALACOWMAN":23l8uq2w said:
cowgirl8":23l8uq2w said:
Ol' 243":23l8uq2w said:
the majority of the time....braggers are the most insecure people you'll find..see it often. Personally I'm not like Bernie I don't care how much you have.character goes a long way...

There is enough nuts there Cowman to make several fruit cakes.

Dave":3gm91l0x said:
Some it is just a matter that they were in the right place at the right time. I know a guy who sold his fairly nice house and 20 acres here. Bought 2,000 acres of sage brush and rock for $175 a acre. He also picked up a BLM lease to summer the cows on. That may seem cheap to many here but that was all it was worth then and still today. He was running a few cows on BLM lease and wintering on that rock and sage. Them they built a destination resort next door. Suddenly his land was worth $1,500 an acre. That set him up on real nice ranch where he runs 750 pairs. No inheritance, no big money from outside work, just a matter of being in the right place at the right time.
There are ways...

midTN_Brangusman":146sljp7 said:

Around here it looks like the stockers are the most successful.

shaz":3rqxgkeh said:
midTN_Brangusman":3rqxgkeh said:

Around here it looks like the stockers are the most successful.

I agree, less inputs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts