Does anybody make a living with cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
RanchMan90":32vbv4io said:
Do you or anyone you know make a living with cattle? What size and type of operation would it take in your opinion?

It seems safe to say that no one in this forum recently started up and are making a living, solely off of cattle. :lol:

M-5":3da7jray said:
Ol' 243":3da7jray said:
cowgirl8":3da7jray said:
I was obviously wrong to admit that's what we do for a living....so, I was disappointed too... Damned if I do, damned if I don't...

That's BS, and eveyone here knows it but you. Nobody begrudges you making a living raising cows, nobody even begrudges you being a nutty fruitcake, just don't belittle other folks, and don't think other folks wanna be like you. I doubt you're the "Jones".

Word of the day - Supercilious
. Looks like it covers every angle..... :lol:
https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/supercilious

callmefence":37zazw2f said:
M-5":37zazw2f said:
Ol' 243":37zazw2f said:
That's BS, and eveyone here knows it but you. Nobody begrudges you making a living raising cows, nobody even begrudges you being a nutty fruitcake, just don't belittle other folks, and don't think other folks wanna be like you. I doubt you're the "Jones".

Word of the day - Supercilious

You google that?

Just to make sure I could pronounce it correctly ! :)

what business generates all its own monies from the start up, with no input from the enterpenuer from the get go? Every business i've seen has started from money from other places.

Why do you think cattle should be any different?

"I want to buy 100 acres, a fancy house, equipment, trucks, etc.. and those cows better pay for ALLLLLL OF IT FROM THE START!!!"

HUH!?!?

ddd75":2bsigo1p said:
what business generates all its own monies from the start up, with no input from the enterpenuer from the get go? Every business i've seen has started from money from other places.

"I want to buy 100 acres, a fancy house, equipment, trucks, etc.. and those cows better pay for ALLLLLL OF IT FROM THE START!!!"

HUH!?!?
Exactly...
What makes us a little different is the guys repair everything. Only when something is in warranty do they ever take it anywhere. We never buy anything unless we have the cash to pay for it, unless its 0% finance. We keep our eyes open on good deals on equipment and broken things you can get cheap...Husband got a skidder with a blown engine that included a new motor the guy ordered and never put in. The skidder sat for 5 years and the guy just wanted it gone..Got it for 5,000... WIth the motor in it working, like it is now, worth over 20,000... They've used it for many things. We got a JD tractor someone bought from a neighbor who used it to feed his horses. Guy bought it and it sat for many years..He bought it to help out the neighbor but really didn't need it. Was tired of looking at it and priced it to get rid of it quick. The list is long on things we pick up so cheap because no one can repair anything anymore.
My FIL wanted to buy land as an investment and found another guy who wanted to also. The other guy just wanted the investment, FIL wanted to live on it and run cows. And if you live somewhere where people are buying weekend retreats, great way to add land to use for hay.. Many ways to save, you just have to be creative....

Supa Dexta":1jtrxi18 said:
You need 3-400 mother cows nowadays to make a living off cattle alone. Add calves, replacements, bulls.. and you're approaching 800 head. There's more people in cattle lying to themselves than any other market.

I have to agree with you. I have often thought, "i'd get a more accurate answer from a drug dealer on operations management."

Agreed also, I have neighbors whose herd numbers change weekly depending on who they are talking to or comparing themselves to

one thing I know.. and thats to listen to no one but yourself.. and one thing I really know. is don't listen to people not making money.

Only way I can make cattle pencil out, is by leasing ground. Ive tried to make the numbers work to buy ground and pay for it with cattle. I cant at the price ground is going dor around here.

cowgirl8":3ec6eq7u said:
ddd75":3ec6eq7u said:

HUH!?!?
Exactly...
What makes us a little different is the guys repair everything. Only when something is in warranty do they ever take it anywhere. We never buy anything unless we have the cash to pay for it, unless its 0% finance. We keep our eyes open on good deals on equipment and broken things you can get cheap...Husband got a skidder with a blown engine that included a new motor the guy ordered and never put in. The skidder sat for 5 years and the guy just wanted it gone..Got it for 5,000... WIth the motor in it working, like it is now, worth over 20,000... They've used it for many things. We got a JD tractor someone bought from a neighbor who used it to feed his horses. Guy bought it and it sat for many years..He bought it to help out the neighbor but really didn't need it. Was tired of looking at it and priced it to get rid of it quick. The list is long on things we pick up so cheap because no one can repair anything anymore.
My FIL wanted to buy land as an investment and found another guy who wanted to also. The other guy just wanted the investment, FIL wanted to live on it and run cows. And if you live somewhere where people are buying weekend retreats, great way to add land to use for hay.. Many ways to save, you just have to be creative....

Sounds like you're really fortunate to have a lot of stupid people living close to you that wanna sell stuff for less than 25% of what it's worth. What is your secret?

Ol' 243":1j84k4yy said:
Sounds like you're really fortunate to have a lot of stupid people living close to you that wanna sell stuff for less than 25% of what it's worth. What is your secret?
Most of its off craigslist. We've driven hours to buy things. The tractor was west of Ft Worth and we were the first to it. I think its size was what made it sell slow, people in the city don't need a big 4wd tractor. ANd it was older. Most people don't want something that is old. It had very few hours on it, other than it being old, its been a great tractor.
SInce we have places out here people buy for weekend retreats, there was one that sold years ago after one owner clear cut it and then flipped it. Whomever clear cut it left a broken down track loader on it, new owner would inherit it. It would start, but did something after a few mins and would die. New owner thought he'd use it, but could never get it running. He contacted my guys to do some clearing and of course they asked about this tract loader sitting way back in the woods. Guy wanted to sell it and was asking way too much. He wanted a pond dug so my husband and son offered to dig it for payment of the tract loader. Guy was happy, he got his pond and got rid of that junk....everyone was happy. They've used that tract loader for so much. It has its problems, but they keep it going. Husband is thinking of selling it, can get around 8 for it easy.. If you can repair things, you can get almost anything dirt cheap. You just have to know equipment, my husband is really good. Has a great ear when listening to something running, knows if its hopeless just by the sound. There are not many people who are willing to fix things, its a goldmine out there if you are willing to do a little work. Got the bucket truck the same way, had a problem with the lift. Got it for like 3, now that its fixed its worth around 8. We used it to cut a tree next to our house. Hiring someone was going to cost 3, got that done and when we sell the truck, win win....if we sell. I think we're waiting for the next ice storm. Son will either go into business for a short time cutting trees or we'll sell it to someone is needing one.. The list goes on and on.. Got a full set of logging equipment for around 60 off craigslist, including the skidder... knuckleboom, tree cutter, delimber, to 3 log trailers to the semi to pull it, everything you need to be a business ....if we sell it all now, easy 3 x....because its all in good running order now. Already have had loggers wanting to buy it. Keeping it because he's thinking he might log our place...

well.. ol' boy who bought my old farm is sure doing good.. he ended up buying the neighbors 70 acres place right beside mine.. with about 2 miles of road frontage to boot.

Now he can run about 120 head brood cows.. kinda not sure I made the right move now... didn't know that guy was ever going to sell...

I should go tell him he'll be making some money as soon as he hits 5x those cow numbers.. :lol2:

ddd75":237pa9ea said:
I should go tell him he'll be making some money as soon as he hits 5x those cow numbers.. :lol2:
Its so true. I feel for the people who jumped in in 2014 thinking that price was going to hold... don't we all dream of those prices...lol

cowgirl8":2h0ohp8w said:
Ol' 243":2h0ohp8w said:
Most of its off craigslist. We've driven hours to buy things. The tractor was west of Ft Worth and we were the first to it. I think its size was what made it sell slow, people in the city don't need a big 4wd tractor. ANd it was older. Most people don't want something that is old. It had very few hours on it, other than it being old, its been a great tractor.
SInce we have places out here people buy for weekend retreats, there was one that sold years ago after one owner clear cut it and then flipped it. Whomever clear cut it left a broken down track loader on it, new owner would inherit it. It would start, but did something after a few mins and would die. New owner thought he'd use it, but could never get it running. He contacted my guys to do some clearing and of course they asked about this tract loader sitting way back in the woods. Guy wanted to sell it and was asking way too much. He wanted a pond dug so my husband and son offered to dig it for payment of the tract loader. Guy was happy, he got his pond and got rid of that junk....everyone was happy. They've used that tract loader for so much. It has its problems, but they keep it going. Husband is thinking of selling it, can get around 8 for it easy.. If you can repair things, you can get almost anything dirt cheap. You just have to know equipment, my husband is really good. Has a great ear when listening to something running, knows if its hopeless just by the sound. There are not many people who are willing to fix things, its a goldmine out there if you are willing to do a little work. Got the bucket truck the same way, had a problem with the lift. Got it for like 3, now that its fixed its worth around 8. We used it to cut a tree next to our house. Hiring someone was going to cost 3, got that done and when we sell the truck, win win....if we sell. I think we're waiting for the next ice storm. Son will either go into business for a short time cutting trees or we'll sell it to someone is needing one.. The list goes on and on.. Got a full set of logging equipment for around 60 off craigslist, including the skidder... knuckleboom, tree cutter, delimber, to 3 log trailers to the semi to pull it, everything you need to be a business ....if we sell it all now, easy 3 x....because its all in good running order now. Already have had loggers wanting to buy it. Keeping it because he's thinking he might log our place...

Wow, that's.crazy . . . . . . . . .lemme know if you run across a chicken sheit spreader, I'm looking for one.

Is anyone else enjoying this as much as me? :lol: :lol:

Ol' 243":39d2b9yy said:
Wow, that's.crazy . . . . . . . . .lemme know if you run across a chicken sheit spreader, I'm looking for one.

We'll beat you to it, we're looking for one too.....lol

Turkeybird":nuqa0cp7 said:
Agreed also, I have neighbors whose herd numbers change weekly depending on who they are talking to or comparing themselves to

Mine changes weekly, but that's just because I've become a piss poor manager.

Ol' 243":1ckb6csk said:
cowgirl8":1ckb6csk said:
Ol' 243":1ckb6csk said:

This thread has gotten richer than 3 foot up a bulls a$$

Caustic Burno":1ph52m3o said:
Ol' 243":1ph52m3o said:

Funny as you guys might find it, its what separates the people who do it for a living with the hobby guys.. :lol2:

cowgirl8":18359wsa said:
Caustic Burno":18359wsa said:
Ol' 243":18359wsa said:

Funny as you guys might find it, its what separates the people who do it for a living with the hobby guys.. :lol2:

Lots of moneyt o be made fixing equipment, no doubt. not sure why these guys think its funny.

I have a buddy who can fix anything.. He just got me a big backhoe.. pulled it out of the junkyard and took an engine out of a combine and through into it. Things purrs like a kitten, runs like a new one. He sold it to me for 4 grand.. He only had about 1500 into it total. worth about 9k easy. He has so much equipment, more then most dealerships have. hah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts