Do you remove twine before feeding?

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
How many here remove the twine from hay rolls before feeding? It's not a common practice in my area, but I believe I have read here where some do. I'm talking twine strings only, not referring to the net.

I remove all hay binding. I've seen cows stomachs with hay string in them . Not to mention the cows stomp it in the mud and you never get it out. Makes a place look trashy quick.

herofan":2ojrnffn said:
Interesting. I never heard of anyone doing it here.

If it is sisal hemp twine, you can get away with out removing it. I cannot imagine anyone not removing the synthetic twine. Synthetic twine is not going to break down in a bovine's GI system.

Yes, I remove it. I use to didn't if the hay had been stored outside for a while and the strings were rotting already.

I'm good on the last two items. I use hemp twine, and it is stored outside, so the strings are rotting by the time it is fed.

I remove the string but invariably miss some. I've found balls of string that the cows have puked up while chewing their cud. I've also found string balls in a cows manure.

string and net always removed. It's a pita sometimes a causes part of the bale to fall apart but better lose a little hay than the string or netting wind up inside the dark damp place.
(I have come to hate net wrapped hay and wish my hay supplier would go back to string tied bales)

Bright Raven":dvp9w2z9 said:
herofan":dvp9w2z9 said:

If it is sisal hemp twine, you can get away with out removing it. I cannot imagine anyone not removing the synthetic twine. Synthetic twine is not going to break down in a bovine's GI system.

My dad does not. It's all in his fields and all around his bush hog blades. I've told this here before but papaw had one choke to death on sisal string.

Yes. It's worth the extra time to me to remove it to prevent chance of ripped out eartags, them eating it, and getting tangled around their feet, legs, and machinery. They find plenty of other ways to get in trouble, so I try to reduce their opportunities when I can help it.

Bright Raven":2oi8bs5i said:
herofan":2oi8bs5i said:

That is why we use sisal on all of our hay. Haylage bales get net wrap as ice isn't an issue inside the plastic wrap....mostly.

Latest posts