Do you remove twine before feeding?

Help Support CattleToday:

We remove all of it. Due to the weather up here, using sisal is not an option. It would rot off the bale before summer was done. Everyone up here I know of uses plastic twine or net wrap. Fighting the snow and cold is a trade off for having a bale that actually survives transport....

I remove it from every bale. If I see some on the ground that i've missed, i stop and get it.

I remember many years ago helping my Papaw trying to get a 2-300 lb calf untangled. Back feet were in a birds nest.

I pulled old twine out of the ground for 6 months when i first got here. Had to untangle a bunch of equipment. That stuff sure is a PITA.

Somehow i'm still getting it wrapped around the tractors axel.

Pull every bit off. Can not recall the last bale of hay I saw with sisal up here. As previously mentioned, it absolutely rots away before the snow flies; especially where it contacts the ground. I prefer netwrap.

bball":1kvolmgt said:
Pull every bit off. Can not recall the last bale of hay I saw with sisal up here. As previously mentioned, it absolutely rots away before the snow flies; especially where it contacts the ground. I prefer netwrap.

we use sisal on any silage bales we make. Holds them till we feed, and so much easier than trying to get the plastic stuff off.

The bale grazing makes removal of the plastic much easier doing it all in the fall before it freezes.

When i was growing up and every thing was in small bales, the mice and rats used to eat the plastic twine. Would be a lot of work feeding and bedding in the spring. And we had a lot of farm cats then too.

We only use sisal, cut it before unrolling it, guess we're lazy because we don't take it off. In the spring when the ground dries I drag 60 feet of diamond harrows over the feed ground and pile the sisal up and burn it. Takes about an hour. What's left rots away in short order.

Latest posts