Do you like this bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

braunvieh

Reaction score
This is our registered purebred Braunvieh bull, at 2 1/2 years old. Was wondering what you think of him. Appreciate any comments. Thanks!

Rustler9":31twilbv said:
I think he looks good, I wouldn't want a big head on him that would pass on to his calves and potentially cuase problems with calving.

A masculine head is an indication of endocrine balance and adequate testosterone levels, it plays no part in calving difficulty, nor does a long feminine head guarantee easy calving.

A head that is out of proportion to the rest of the body is a completely different matter.

I'm sure you're right. The bull's head looks in proportion to his body to me. I don't see that he looks feminine. Guess we all have our likes and dislikes.

Thanks everyone for their comments. The bull is very masculine, but he does have a smaller head than the typical Braunvieh, partly because he is scurred instead of dehorned. We have one calf crop from him so far, and no calving difficulties whatsoever. What you cannot really see from this photo is his thickness, he is very thick and has lots of muscle expression. He also has great scan data. A 21.9" REA at 1 1/2 yrs and very low BF. Thanks again!

decent bull, but i agree with the others that he good be longer-bodied, and he is also a bit pinched in the heart gearth. looks like he doesn't have very scrotal development either. all in all not bad

Thanks for the continued comments. I would agree that he could be longer-bodied but his girth to top ratio is awesome. He isn't pinched at the heart girth at all, he is more than adequate there but I think it appears that way in the picture because he is so deep bodied. He is what I call a tank!

Here is another view of the bull, taken almost a year ago, at Denver, when he was 20 months.

I like him . Particularly like his shoulder set but there's a lot else to like also. All the talk of "cowy head" I don't agree with. An old mentor once told me " with a bull give a little in the head and nothing in the hindquarter , with a cow give nothing in the head ...."
Congrats on a nice bull.
Goddy

Latest posts