Disposition Sign

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
A study has been done on dispositions of cattle. One indication of a calmer disposition is where the swirl of hair on their face is located.
If the swirl is low, close to the nose, the calmer the cow. The higher the swirl goes up, the disposition gets worse.
Does anyone else here find this to have any accuracy?

Have heard that mentioned many times. Probably true about Bos Tarus cattle. Don't think it applies to Bos Indicus. Look where the swirl is on this cow.

205followme.jpg

Swirl way high, but she is super gentle.

I try not to get close enough to the spooks to see where their swirls are :D . I have heard of this theory before though.

i just went thru a lot of my photos, mostly lookng at the nuts.
they all have swirls right between the eyes. my gentle cows mostly have swirls between the eyes, maybe a little higher, some even up on the forhead. maybe i should get rid of everything jsut to be safe?

It was done at the U of CO by students under the guidance of the highly respected (by some) temple grandin. Cattle at sale barns were evaluated by behavior and classified by the postion of the facial whorl.
Charitably I classify it as junk science.
Always sounded to me like someone had to write a graduate study and didn;t want to take the time to do anything useful.

dun

It sounds like a bunch of hooey to me. The next time one is chasing me I'll take time to check the swirl location. :lol:

Chuckie":1aeb8wta said:
A study has been done on dispositions of cattle. One indication of a calmer disposition is where the swirl of hair on their face is located.
If the swirl is low, close to the nose, the calmer the cow. The higher the swirl goes up, the disposition gets worse.

Sounds like something "Super Guru" Gerald Fry would advocate.

norriscathy":2llhl5u4 said:
Chuckie":2llhl5u4 said:

Sounds like something "Super Guru" Gerald Fry would advocate.
I've heard about the swirl or "CowlicK", for quite awhile.I can honestly say it's never come into play of whether to pass on or buy any Cattle that had it.It's hard to judge disposition at a sale anyway, because they've been pulled at times from ranches they were born on. I've found 9 out of 10 times they settle right down when you bring em' home.Then, on the other hand, some cattle are like some people, just downright ornery and mean.Swirl, Cowlick, Smooth headed, etc.

I'll have to go with the consensus on this one. Any animal that has been trailered, put somewhere they don't know, and pushed and prodded is bound to be a little agiatated(SP), cow lick or no.

Chuckie":1uqnw59k said:

I do know the swirl in your back pocket is usually considered a little high strung.

Caustic Burno":1uk6hudy said:
Chuckie":1uk6hudy said:

I do know the swirl in your back pocket is usually considered a little high strung.

Caustic, if they're just trying to blow a little snot in your back pocket does that mean they're high strung also? :lol:

;-)

Had this discussion with a woman at the sale barn a few years ago and had to test it at our farm....didn't work, all ours are gentle and well mannered no matter where the swirl is located.
I'll recheck the theory the next time we're out cow tipping and see if we can notice a difference. DMc