Disposition Sign

Help Support CattleToday:

Chuckie":2qia1yys said:
A study has been done on dispositions of cattle. One indication of a calmer disposition is where the swirl of hair on their face is located.
If the swirl is low, close to the nose, the calmer the cow. The higher the swirl goes up, the disposition gets worse.
Does anyone else here find this to have any accuracy?
i think that the manner in which they are treated has more to do with their disposition.some are genetic traits but with the right attention i feel they can be calmer.i just cant see where the swirl position is located could determine their disposition.anyway thats just my thoughts im no scientist and ive got too much work to do than to study the swirl positions on my cattle.ive got herfords by the way and their whole head is swirled but they are very gentle

:shock: Sounds similar to the study where a video camera
was attached to a deers head to study its habits :shock:
All I know is that they LOVE to tear down my hot wires,
carry lepto, and get in my pickups way. :mad: open
season on bambi ! :nod:

I've heard the same thing about horses. I just filed it in the same spot the stuff I rinse off my boots go.

Alan

Heard the same thing about horses from an old cowboy and I hate to admit that the ones that were a little hotter were the ones with the high swirls for the most part.
I don't see the same thing in cows though.

cows should have to wear disposition signs..

"Maneater"
"Too Dumb to Live"
"Houdini"
"Feed Me, I'm Charming."
"Eat me!"
"Honk if you're Horned"
"Catch me if you can"
"I be Speedy"
"PMS"
"Born to Fly"
"Black is Beautiful"
"Yo mamma"
"I drag your Honor Student around like a rag doll"
"Wide Load" *beeep beeep beeep*

Beefy":38fh07g3 said:

"Maneater"
"Too Dumb to Live"
"Houdini"
"Feed Me, I'm Charming."
"Eat me!"
"Honk if you're Horned"
"Catch me if you can"
"I be Speedy"
"PMS"
"Born to Fly"
"Black is Beautiful"
"Yo mamma"
"I drag your Honor Student around like a rag doll"
beefy i really love your sign suggestions.i agree with them all but you gotta include jealous too.

I have a cow that we don't get close enough to to see where her swirls are - probably not a sign for a good disposition. She is the only one that anyone has ever been around that will try to bite you when she's in the squeeze chute, since she can't get you any other way. We don't worry about preditors and we give her and her calf a wide birth and everyone is happy since she is one of our best producers.

Beefy":8fsy0j3k said:

"Maneater"
"Too Dumb to Live"
"Houdini"
"Feed Me, I'm Charming."
"Eat me!"
"Honk if you're Horned"
"Catch me if you can"
"I be Speedy"
"PMS"
"Born to Fly"
"Black is Beautiful"
"Yo mamma"