Dinero got his new home

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
Well, my neighbor just took delivery of Dinero, my bull calf I kept intact for him this year, $1300 including delivery, estimated weight is about 700-750 lbs... I haltered him and led him onto the trailer, and then haltered him to lead him out and into the pen with some older bulls, and it worked really well and wasn't a rodeo. He's happy with the way he looks, and I'm eager to see some calves from him

Just a big baby... who knows, maybe I'll even buy him back in a few years to try on some cows before he is freezer meat

Thanks.. I could tell he was going to be a nice boy when he was born... if his mother has a bull calf next year I might keep him intact again and see if anyone wants him... a bit of a gamble, but it's not a disaster if I sell him through the sale yard for meat

Nice calf. Sounds like everyone is happy! Your neighbor got a lot of bull for the money and he gets to take all the risks.

Now that's a good looking bull calf! Nice muscling, and well balanced.

Congrats!

Alan

well, if he makes calves like his mother, grandmother, and greatgrandmother made, and if they look like he does, he's got a bargain... he doesn't have a whole lot of risk since if he didn't like him now, he could cut him and sell him at the sale barn in the spring without losing any money, and a young animal like that doesn't eat a whole lot of feed. I'd keep another animal from the same cow/sire since if he turn out good, which will be found out in spring 2015, I'd have a good reference.

I had a 1-nut steer that I missed this spring who could have made a decent bull as well, pretty close to the same weight, but a bit heavier boned, including in the head, and didn't get the sleek, smooth look this one had, I still got 1.38/lb for him and he was 715 lbs, so perhaps the buyers didn't care much

Nesikep":216xde9j said:
well, if he makes calves like his mother, grandmother, and greatgrandmother made, and if they look like he does, he's got a bargain... he doesn't have a whole lot of risk since if he didn't like him now, he could cut him and sell him at the sale barn in the spring without losing any money, and a young animal like that doesn't eat a whole lot of feed. I'd keep another animal from the same cow/sire since if he turn out good, which will be found out in spring 2015, I'd have a good reference.

I had a 1-nut steer that I missed this spring who could have made a decent bull as well, pretty close to the same weight, but a bit heavier boned, including in the head, and didn't get the sleek, smooth look this one had, I still got 1.38/lb for him and he was 715 lbs, so perhaps the buyers didn't care much

I sure hope he feeds him out pretty good for you. If not it will take years for him to express his potential.

Oh, and the sale results of the rest of the animals are here... I know a lot of people (like me) don't go into the "Sale yard" section often

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=87253

He's got an open round bale at all times by the looks of it, so he shouldn't be getting hungry.... The rest of this guys calves look pretty amazing too... I saw a heck of a red/wf heifer who was well into the 700's, and he said last year he had his top 38 steers (out of about 90 head total) average about 738 lbs... he's not shy on giving them groceries... They do get ralgro though and calve out a month earlier than we do, so they certainly get an edge there

Nesikep":30ou3g8e said:
Oh, and the sale results of the rest of the animals are here... I know a lot of people (like me) don't go into the "Sale yard" section often

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=87253

He's got an open round bale at all times by the looks of it, so he shouldn't be getting hungry.... The rest of this guys calves look pretty amazing too... I saw a heck of a red/wf heifer who was well into the 700's, and he said last year he had his top 38 steers (out of about 90 head total) average about 738 lbs... he's not shy on giving them groceries... They do get ralgro though and calve out a month earlier than we do, so they certainly get an edge there

I meant some kind of good ration. Not just straight hay. I see too many of these farm raised bulls that look like hammered crap until they are 3 years old and he deserves better than that!

Hahaha, good expression! The opposite also is true sometimes when you get grained bulls that turn to hammered crap when you stop feeding them that ration. Our winters are a bit easier than yours so that will help too... His mother is a really easy keeper (She's still fat after raising him) and he looks like he's inherited that.

He's currently with 2 older bulls (they get along nicely), and he's kept a couple of his own best ones intact, and he'll be weaning them in 2 weeks, I'm sure the young boys will be put together for the winter.

Nesikep":2kj7klt9 said:
Hahaha, good expression! The opposite also is true sometimes when you get grained bulls that turn to hammered crap when you stop feeding them that ration. Our winters are a bit easier than yours so that will help too... His mother is a really easy keeper (She's still fat after raising him) and he looks like he's inherited that.

He's currently with 2 older bulls (they get along nicely), and he's kept a couple of his own best ones intact, and he'll be weaning them in 2 weeks, I'm sure the young boys will be put together for the winter.

Listen to 3ways words, he's still a baby and in with two other bulls to fight for feed. He has a good chance of looking "hammered" if he doesn't get supplemented to help him mature to breeding age. If he shrinks to cr@p after he's grained to breeding age that's on him..... But if he doesn't get the chance with supplement that's on the owner. But in the end it's your reputation.

Alan":sntf17h4 said:
Nesikep":sntf17h4 said:

Listen to 3ways words, he's still a baby and in with two other bulls to fight for feed. He has a good chance of looking "hammered" if he doesn't get supplemented to help him mature to breeding age. If he shrinks to cr@p after he's grained to breeding age that's on him..... But if he doesn't get the chance with supplement that's on the owner. But in the end it's your reputation.

Yer wastin yer time Alan. Let it go. After all they are all getting along good and it doesn't get cold in BC. He will grow out just fine.

Let it go. I know i just did!

If you took what I said earlier as being snarky, it wasn't intended that way (except for what happens to *some* grainfed bulls if they don't get their ration). He's only with the older bulls and a full feeder for a little bit, after which he'll be with animals his age. From there, if he's worth ought to be determined by how he does against his peers.

I just know that all this fellows animals are well fed and taken care of.

That's right fatten them up on feed, and when you put them to work they fall apart. You can spend all the money for feed you want and it won't change his DNA. The only reason to fatten and feed a bull is for your wallet when you sell him. It's sure not doing the cow herd any good, and it doesn't matter the breed. Oh, here is how you herd will look if you feed them. It's a shame most cows have to eat grass for a living.

We're not, I'm not talking about feeding "this" bull to make him fat. "This" young bull has some potential as a bull, so the idea is to give him supplement feed to insure he goes through the winter with enough quality feed to grow and MATURE to breeding age yearling bull. The same goes for 7 month old replacement heifers, I want to help them mature to a breeding age (15 month old) heifer. the extra feed for a few months is to help insure I'm not out at 3 am pulling a calf out of a small, two year old heifer that didn't grow well enough the first year because "she should have done it by herself on my winter grass" or lack of it. It's got nothing to do with making them fat, everything to do with helping them mature to breeding age .... Then they are on their own.

Just my :2cents:

Alan":g3hd3os4 said:
We're not, I'm not talking about feeding "this" bull to make him fat. "This" young bull has some potential as a bull, so the idea is to give him supplement feed to insure he goes through the winter with enough quality feed to grow and MATURE to breeding age yearling bull. The same goes for 7 month old replacement heifers, I want to help them mature to a breeding age (15 month old) heifer. the extra feed for a few months is to help insure I'm not out at 3 am pulling a calf out of a small, two year old heifer that didn't grow well enough the first year because "she should have done it by herself on my winter grass" or lack of it. It's got nothing to do with making them fat, everything to do with helping them mature to breeding age .... Then they are on their own.

Just my :2cents:

Which is exactly my point. Like i posted here last year, the bulls we finish here don't get fattened they just get growed out. They are in a big pasture with a long walk from feed to water and they mature sexually like they should. If you don't think feed or lack of it affects bulls take a bull that has been fed well as a calf and work his but off for his freshman year and then put him in with a bunch of older bulls for the winter that make him clean up the scraps. Then see how he does on his BSE the folling spring.

A friend of mine did this and when the bull flunked he took him back to the breeder and complained. The fella told him to come back in 60 days and pick up his fully functioning bull. I guarantee all he did was feed him right for a couple of months and when they picked him up he was at least 100lbs heavier and sure as heck not shooting blanks anymore.

As far as the heifers go here's another illustration. My buddy raises shorthorn crosses. A few years ago he bought a RA bull out of Above Heaven ( CE of about 15) He only pulled one calf out of him in 3 years and it was out of a heifer with the same bloodlines as his cows but she came from another fella who runs his heifers with his old cows all winter and feeds them crap hay. We darned near killed her getting a 70lb calf out of her.

If Nesi thinks that putting a Bull calf in with a bunch of steers for the winter that are only getting some decent hay is the way to raise a bull i would ask this question. Where will those two respective groups be that summer. Answer' the bull will be out working in the field and those steers will be laying around somewhere eating , drinking, and pooping, and getting ready to die. Which group will have been better prepared for their job!

Latest posts