Difficult Delivery

Help Support CattleToday:

he is pretty!.. there is NOTHING that can tickle you more.. even through a shirt, than those calf whiskers!... Especially from that curious shy one sneaking up behind you

We just had to pull a bull calf on Easter Sunday. Nearly same exact birthing scenario as yours, but calf was born with meconium. He required mouth to mouth immediately then started breathing, eyes opened, head up, but too weak to stand. We finally got him to stand, but not long. Mother cow was very attentive...so protective she was a bit wild and hated being captive. She licked calf aggressively, but he didnt seem to improve energy. Mom darted out to pasture when a gate was left open, so we had to release baby to her there. After a day we collected him to tube feed and antibiotic shot. He succumbed to his weakness that night.
This is our second birthing season. Second delivery for mom, and she had no problem last year. A few more left to birth. Losing one baby puts a fear in you, and always makes you wonder what you could've done different.
Also wondering if we should let this mom go.

Mldcgilbert":3n9a1i87 said:
We just had to pull a bull calf on Easter Sunday. Nearly same exact birthing scenario as yours, but calf was born with meconium. He required mouth to mouth immediately then started breathing, eyes opened, head up, but too weak to stand. We finally got him to stand, but not long. Mother cow was very attentive...so protective she was a bit wild and hated being captive. She licked calf aggressively, but he didnt seem to improve energy. Mom darted out to pasture when a gate was left open, so we had to release baby to her there. After a day we collected him to tube feed and antibiotic shot. He succumbed to his weakness that night.
This is our second birthing season. Second delivery for mom, and she had no problem last year. A few more left to birth. Losing one baby puts a fear in you, and always makes you wonder what you could've done different.

Sorry you lost one. I am dreading that inevitable day...Good luck with the rest of the season, and...
Welcome to CT! :welcome:

Mldcgilbert":z5zq6ays said:
Sorry that you lost your calf! Where are you from??
Just a small suggestion, if you do not already do it. I give my newborns at least 1 shot if selenium an vitamin A&D. Sometimes repeat the next day if they are slower than they should be. Sometimes it really helps to perk them up! Talk to your vet about it. May be just a little added insurance for you next time.
Good luck with the rest of your calving!

For emergencies you can keep some colostrum in your freezer and if the wild momma is too difficult to deal with or the calf is to weak from a hard pull to nurse you can warm it up and bottle or tube feed. It is best to have colostrum from one of your own older cows but any dairy farmer in your area will have some. They should get a tummy full of colostrum within an hour or so of birth. Once the newborn has a full tummy and has napped in a safe place he might have enough energy to deal with wild momma on his own. I only have a few cows so my priority is to see the calf born, up and nursing before I leave them be.
Inyati one of my cows, her first calf was a hard pull even though it was a normal presentation and not huge. Her second was nearly identical but she had it unassisted. Her third I had to pull and had to ask for help (I only have chains). Like your cow she just didn't want to get down to business and do the work. They do get a mineral mix with selenium because we are in a selenium deficient area but I am not sure they get enough that way.
I have waited up to 6 or 7 hours from presentation of toes (so I know it is a normal presentation) before getting the chains and still had a live calf, but really I think 2 hours is long enough to wait with no progress!

Mldcgilbert":1x42skqr said:
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm from central CA.
I am northern CA. You are probably Selenium deficient, as we are. Take a look at White muscle disease if you are not familiar with it. Do you feed minerals?

Cowpunk'd, are you in CA also? Hence the Selenium deficiency. We do have availability to colostrum, but in this case saw baby try to nipple mom once and was hopeful he was getting his nutrition from mom. After she left for pasture we left him in her hands. Likely, he went too long.
Branguscowgirl, yes, maybe we do need to look into the Selenium. We do not give minerals at the point. Thanks for the suggestion.
Inyati, your calf is beautiful!

Pulling calves is no fun.

My mother in law insisted i take selenium as a supplement because she said, probably read it in a Red Book or Readers Digest, our area is deficient. Like an idiot i did. My toenails fell off. Didnt even finish a bottle she gave me. Found out that it can make hooves fall off too.

Yes there is a fine line between deficiency and toxic overdose when it comes to Selenium. Some years ago a whole stable of Polo Ponies were killed when someone accidently injected them with too much Selenium. Here is a link that shows Selenium levels in different Counties.
http://tin.er.usgs.gov/geochem/doc/averages/se/usa.html
I am on Vancouver Island Canada.
The most frustrating thing is when the calf nuzzles at the udder and even slurps on it but doesn't have hold of the teat. Sometimes they get tired and just give up

Latest posts