Difficult Delivery

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
My sixth heifer of spring calving had her calf yesterday and it was my first difficult one. Her Dam was Big Bertha who was 1800 pounds when I sold her last year. The Sire of this heifer is a registered angus bull. This heifer was bred by my angus bull, Casper who was a New Frontier bull. She was due 4/13/14 and had the calf yesterday at 4:30 pm so one day late. Here she is:
dctv9z.jpg

This heifer is bigger than when the picture was taken. I think she is in the 1500 pound class and will grow to be about 1700 pounds. She was born 5/28/12 so about 23 months old now.

I saw her go into labor about 2 pm yesterday. She was in the holding area. At about 2 pm, the amniotic sac was hanging out with some fluid in it. She got up and I saw it fall off. This was about 3 pm. I observed feet sticking out. I called my friend, Kris of Fire Sweep Ranch. She said to give her another 30 minutes and look for progress. At 3:30 pm there was no progress and I did not see any effort. I called Kris. She advised getting her ready for help. I put her in the crowding pen. When I moved her, the feet went back in. She stood in the crowding pen with her back arched. The feet came back out. I let her stand another 30 minutes. Nothing was coming. I walked her into the alley way leading to the Squeeze chute. Kris advised closing the door of the pal cage and helping her outside the chute. I placed a couple of 2 x 4s behind her to keep her from backing up. I thought it would only take a little help with the chains. So I did not take the jack. I had to reach in to get the chains on the feet. I noticed the head was further back but she must have been fully dialated because the nose was in the back of the vagina. I waited for her to push but she was not doing anything. She was arched with her head down but standing. I tried to pull but it was doing nothing. I finally got the jack. I put the yoke on her butt and took up the slack in the chains. When there was tension on the chains, I waited but she was not pushing. I was tired and decided to start putting some pull on the chains. With the tension, the nose appeared for the first time. The tongue was out but no breathing. I decided to slowly start moving the calf. With each jack, the calf made progress. When the head got fully in the birth canal, it got tight. The last two strokes on the jack were hard pulls. She made a low groan as the head got through and then everything got easy. I took the chains off. The calf was hanging and I saw it shake its head and flutter its eyes. I grabbed it and guided it out. It hung up again at its hips. I had to grasp the entire calf in a hug and pull to get the hips through.

I got the calf on the ground behind her and she started acting up. She was nervous and turned her head in a manner like she wanted to turn around to the calf. I let her out through the pal cage and squeeze chute. She turned on me with her head down. I just had another friend who is in the hospital having his face rebuilt because a group of cows he was working with his hired man, crowded him into a gate, knocked him down and pushed his face into the gate breaking in some of his facial bones. So I got back into the squeeze chute and went back to get the calf out. I could hardly lift it. When I got it to the pal cage, I put it out the pal door. But she had taken off into the holding pen and left her calf. I got the calf into the crowding pen. I am small framed and it was all I could do to handle this calf. I would guess it is close to 100 pounds, wet, which it was. I looked out and she is eating grass like she don't even know she has a calf. I had a hard time chasing her back to her calf and I was concerned she might turn on me. I got her to the calf and closed the gate on the crowding pen. I don't know if this has happened to anyone else, but because she was separated from the calf at delivery, she acted like she did not know it existed. About an hour passed before she went to the calf and started nosing it. Then she licked it some but not with the euthusiasm that I am familar with. In another 30 minutes I saw the calf up sucking. It got some but it must have been the heifer thing because she would move away from him. I am about to go to the farm so I cannot report on what happened over night.

Particularly with heifers, when it's a hard pull they won;t want anythign to do with it at first. Most come around in a half hour or so, some not for several days, others never. If they start licking, even hald heartedly the battle as half won.

I am not sure she was ready to calve myself. Once you put them in a alley way or chute your going to have to pull the calf. A lot of times a cow will lay down and then get back up, walk around in a circle and lay back down. I think their loosing up and getting the calf and them ready for birth. I think you jumped in to soon, but you can't beat a live calf. Good job Inyati.

highgrit":qodi7j4d said:
I am not sure she was ready to calve myself. Once you put them in a alley way or chute your going to have to pull the calf. A lot of times a cow will lay down and then get back up, walk around in a circle and lay back down. I think their loosing up and getting the calf and them ready for birth. I think you jumped in to soon, but you can't beat a live calf. Good job Inyati.

I never know when to jump in and help. I generally try and wait a specific time period and then go for it. Had to get to work one morning and left one alone longer than I liked. Called a buddy to run out there and as he chased her around trying to rope her the calf was sucked back in, repositioned and then shot out with no problem at all. You never know....

Good work Inyati.

Good job Inyati! Glad that you have a live calf! Keep us posted.
My heifer last year did the same thing when we put her in the chute and pulled the calf. She figured it all out in a couple hours though.

Good job. :D
I'm not suggesting that you did anything wrong as I wasn't there to see it but you'll learn in time when to step in and when to butt out, especially since you're there to watch them all the time. That's a real struggle for me as I don't see my cows every day so it takes some instinct above and beyond timing.
For future use: I like a pulley on the chains and one on the bottom of a post about six feet behind her with a cotton rope or the rope off my saddle(which I prefer as there's more stretch) looped through. You can crank on it quite a bit without tearing anything and if it gets tough tie the end of the rope off and stand on the tight line and bounce just a bit. The stretch in the rope reduces the ratcheting effect but still gives you plenty of pull.

First, no pics yet. Today was cold and miserable so not a picture day. The calf is fine and the heifer is totally changed. She is calm and being a good mother. I saw the calf nursing several times today.

Second, CP that is a good idea having a pulley at the base of the first section of the alley. It would direct the effort to pull downward as it should be and make it safer to be behind the cow. As far as when to give assistance, I am going to call Fire Sweep Ranch each time. :D

dun, was right about the heifer behavior. Seems like the battle was getting her to settle in and start bonding with her calf. I have noticed a behavior this spring. The heifer or cow will begin labor and often get up and deliberately smell the first fluids that discharge during labor. I wonder if that is part of the bonding with the calf that is yet to come.

I have another wonder/question? When a heifer or cow is put up when she has her calf, she becomes a captive and the calf's access to her is increased. In pasture delivery, seems like they may only go to the calf a couple of times a day. I wonder if that changes some sort of natural balance? Today, this calf was sure on her nursing frequently. Is that good or bad?

inyati13":327ry2h1 said:
I have another wonder/question? When a heifer or cow is put up when she has her calf, she becomes a captive and the calf's access to her is increased. In pasture delivery, seems like they may only go to the calf a couple of times a day. I wonder if that changes some sort of natural balance? Today, this calf was sure on her nursing frequently. Is that good or bad?
If the calf nurses frequently then you're good to go. For my cows having them caught up is enough to cause problems from the anxiety of having them caught up. Turn her out with the bunch and watch them go. :D

"Nursing frequently" could mean that she is not getting a full belly. Maybe her milk has not fully come in yet.
Does the calf wiggle it's tail while it is nursing? (Usually a sign of a happy calf.) Is it's face getting milk all over it when she noses the teats?

branguscowgirl":1jlnj8ao said:
"Nursing frequently" could mean that she is not getting a full belly. Maybe her milk has not fully come in yet.
Does the calf wiggle it's tail while it is nursing? (Usually a sign of a happy calf.) Is it's face getting milk all over it when she noses the teats?
Not seen milk on the face or the foam around the mouth but have seen the tail wiggle. She has a good udder, looks like the milk has come in and the calf is hitting all teats.

You did great. You gave her two hours after breaking her water to make progress and she did not. By the size of that calf, she likely would have never had it alone, good thing you were there to help.
I like your ideas CP, might have to try that...

I only kept one heifer for this year and she has been loose for 2 weeks and was staying in the vicinity of the herd for over a week. I have been checking her morning and night and expecting to have to pull her. She wasn't with the bunch this pm so I went looking and she was eating after birth. Calf was taking his first steps and looking for the teat. So far it was a good decision to keep her. She will be 2 in July.

That's a BIG heifer!

It's always really hard to judge when to start helping, especially if it's going to be serious help. With a lot of my cows, if I'm there, and the feet and nose are showing, I"ll grab the feet by hand and just apply a light pull just to get it over with so I can go back to doing other things. in 22 years we've never needed a jack, however there were 2 really hard pulls that come to mind, both on heifers of about 1000 lbs with 110 lb bull calves. The last one was 4 years ago, and my dad and I were both pulling on that calf for an hour.. it took about a half hour to get the head and chest out, then he started breathing, so we were doing OK, and another half hour of getting his hips unlocked... As soon as we got him out he stopped breathing, my dad and I were nearly at that point too, and I gave him CPR and he came back around... I nearly needed CPR at that point. It took a day and Dex to get the the cow standing again.

The worst ones are the ones that pace and lay down for a minute, get up, sniff, pace over and over.. it takes them forever to get down to business.. Some of them just lay down, and 10 minutes later there's the calf.

I think they do sniff and lick the fluids in anticipation of the calf, and it probably does start the bond already. My cow Caddy gets super excited everytime she hears a slosh behind her.

Both my heifers so far this year were pretty good mothers, Durga didn't do much licking for the first day, but got into it after, Roma was good, but only licked the calf with the very tip of her tongue.. very very delicately! I compared it to washing a car with a Q tip... She wasn't so nice when it was my turn.. she really used the whole washcloth to lick the back of MY neck.

I guess all's well that ends well, your heifer has a live calf and accepts it, and seems to have milk for it

Ron I think given time most cows if the presentation is correct will eventually get it out when they have no option rather than to push real hard, however especially in heifers this is the situation that you frequently end up with a dead calf. I think your timing was spot on with intervening, you did a good job, no injuries to the calf and nothing to stop the heifer from breeding back early. Well done.
Ken

Latest posts