calving pen set-up and assisted delivery

Help Support CattleToday:

ugabulldog

Reaction score
Just wondering what most folks have/do for a calving pen set-up if anything? I am asking more for assisting with difficult delivery than nursing. I am trying to be proactive with some heifers due next spring, Thanks.

We bring our heifers down to the barn and can close off 3 separate sections, one of which has a chute. We've only used the chute once to pull a calf; they generally just go down on their own but we've also haltered & tied them to a beam. That said, ours are pretty gentle and used to being handled, which may make a difference.

TCRanch":5p7hyn3s said:
We bring our heifers down to the barn and can close off 3 separate sections, one of which has a chute. We've only used the chute once to pull a calf; they generally just go down on their own but we've also haltered & tied them to a beam. That said, ours are pretty gentle and used to being handled, which may make a difference.

Ours are used to us from feeding not sure they would be gentle if we tried to halter. I thought a chute wasn't good because the sides get in they way if you have to use a jack?

Just my opinion. But it's free. I prefer to pull with only a headgate and a wider than normal alley. (I actually prefer not pulling at all but it happens) Don't like to use a squeeze chute for pulling. Sometimes like TC said, they go down on their own, but I'd rather deal with one standing so it's easier to pull downwards and backwards. Pulled one last night that was backwards. 2nd one this year. Same bull. Kinda got me wondering if it's a trait. Got the cow in the headgate and then got the chains on. Couldn't pull it by hand and didn't have a come along so I hooked a ratchet strap to the OB chains and got him on out. It's nice to be prepared, nobody can argue that. The most important thing is to be quick and to know what you're doing or have someone that does. However sometimes you just gotta get in their and learn. I hope maybe you won't have any problems, but inevitably there are gonna be some. The cow I helped last night is a five year old. First time she's ever given me a problem. 1300-1400 lbs and about a 70 pound calf. She should have been able to have him sideways. But all's well that ends well.

To directly answer your question, anything where you can restrain them quickly and easily should work fine.

The sides of the chute will get in the way (at least ours will) if you're using a ratchet. We used chains on the one we pulled in the chute. I like Black & Good's set up - nothing fancy because all you really need is some way to keep the cow from moving all over the place (been there - it was nightmare, yet comical). Our vet pulled one in the alley, simply stuck a log between the bars in front & behind her (even did a c-section that way).

Here's hoping you don't have to pull any and sending good thoughts to JMJ :)

Latest posts