diesel storage tank

Help Support CattleToday:

scf84

Reaction score
just bought a 300 gal steel tank to store diesel in. i would like to build a metal stand for it, maybe 6 ft. tall for gravity. i have some 1-1/2 x 1/8 angle iron laying around. will this metal be strong enough or do i need to look at something bigger. from pics i see online, most look on the small side.

bird dog

Reaction score
Put enough of them under it it will be. The bracing is what maintains the intergrity. It always amazed me when I was doing structural steel erection work how much weight a bar joist would hold but the strength was in the webbing members and the bridging angles that held them all together.

brw

Reaction score
just bought a 300 gal steel tank to store diesel in. i would like to build a metal stand for it, maybe 6 ft. tall for gravity. i have some 1-1/2 x 1/8 angle iron laying around. will this metal be strong enough or do i need to look at something bigger. from pics i see online, most look on the small side.
Get a pump. I own a small fuel distributorship in Alabama, at some point in the near future our insurance company will not let us fill tanks on stands . More important you don't want someone climbing up to fill it on your farm.

Brute 23

Brute 23
CT Supporter
Reaction score
Get a pump. I own a small fuel distributorship in Alabama, at some point in the near future our insurance company will not let us fill tanks on stands . More important you don't want someone climbing up to fill it on your farm.
Those are very good points.

We have 2 over head tanks and first chance I get they are coming down. I want just small stands with a little lean built forward around a foot off the ground so I can round up under them.

One of biggest complaints is the gravity feed is sooo slow. It takes for ever to fill my 100g portable tank. I can pump that 100g out in to equipment in a fraction of the time with the 12v pump.

dfm

Reaction score
I have a overhead stand for a diesel tank. I have not really looked at it in quite some time but it should be in good condition. I was figuring on taking it apart for the angle steel. If SW OK is not to far away I believe it held a 500 gal. round tank.