diesel safety

Help Support CattleToday:

I've seen a couple steel 210 bbls struck by lightning that if the dump line hadn't been connected they would've flown. Top and bottom both rounded. It's always tanks that are less than half full. Saw a 100 BBL that got launched across a road it was unhooked and had a few inches of crude in the bottom.

ohiosteve":1afneowq said:
I've seen a couple steel 210 bbls struck by lightning that if the dump line hadn't been connected they would've flown. Top and bottom both rounded. It's always tanks that are less than half full. Saw a 100 BBL that got launched across a road it was unhooked and had a few inches of crude in the bottom.

Its amazing. The bottom will be sitting right where it was with the oil still in it. Those tanks are only good for like 15oz of pressure.

You should see some of the O Shyt moments where you are processing 500k barrels per day and have over a million in storage. Some of the worst I ever saw occurred over a lightning strike.

Hope none of us ever find out what will happen while filling a can or tank and a spark happens to come along. Guess one side would win the argument and the other side would lose.

I'm not stout enough to fill it on the ground. Even if I put 35 gallons its still going to weigh about 250..

Caustic Burno":1s7ixp28 said:
danl":1s7ixp28 said:
I'm not stout enough to fill it on the ground. Even if I put 35 gallons its still going to weigh about 250..

Y'all don't have diesel delivered where you live?

CB, I'm forever hauling and pumping diesel for my equipment at 100 gallons at a time. Is there really anything to worry about? I haul and pump gas in my diesel tank sometimes. And without a ignition protected pump this worries me a little, but not much. Gas fumes in the bilge of my little boat scares me tremendously though.

Brute 23":1s1bium2 said:
I don't think its the actual diesel fluid that you have to worry about... its the vapors in the top of the jug in the void.
Naw....that's moonshine you're thinking about Brute. :lol: :lol:

True Grit Farms":eft2b2pp said:
Caustic Burno":eft2b2pp said:
danl":eft2b2pp said:

Y'all don't have diesel delivered where you live?

CB, I'm forever hauling and pumping diesel for my equipment at 100 gallons at a time. Is there really anything to worry about? I haul and pump gas in my diesel tank sometimes. And without a ignition protected pump this worries me a little, but not much. Gas fumes in the bilge of my little boat scares me tremendously though.

Yes and no.
The incident rate increases dramatically when you become the spark from static charge. For instance you are pumping in a tank walk away get in the vehicle and out again then return to the pump handle. Filling marine vessels is especially dangerous as the static is generated by the flow through the hose
making sure they are grounded together.
Seen a very nasty sea going shrimper from a propane leak in the bilge.
He was filling the boat and had a static discharge.
Blew that Vietnamese 100 yards from the boat FBI crawled over that boat for a week.

Latest posts