diesel & permethrin (Dun)

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Dun, your mixture of diesel & permethrin has been working great for flies. I just mist them real good with my hand held sprayer and off they go.

tncattle":3b3hfblx said:
Dun, your mixture of diesel & permethrin has been working great for flies. I just mist them real good with my hand held sprayer and off they go.
Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while

Dun, correct me if I'm wrong but off the top of my head I think it was 8 oz. perm. to 5 gal. diesel. I did 1.5 oz perm. to 1 gal diesel as I don't have near as many head to spray as Dun does.

tncattle":69d4nssx said:
Dun, correct me if I'm wrong but off the top of my head I think it was 8 oz. perm. to 5 gal. diesel. I did 1.5 oz perm. to 1 gal diesel as I don't have near as many head to spray as Dun does.
8oz to 5 gal, just like it says on the bottle

Forgive the ignorance, but why do you have to mix the Permethrin with diesel if you are spraying it on with a hand held pump sprayer? I thought you only mixed with diesel when using a rub type applicator, no?

I also had a thought. Can a surfactant (used to get insecticides and weed killers to stick) be used instead of diesel?

And is it Permethrin (used to kill lice in humans) or Permectrin that you are using? If it is actually Permethrin, why?

I have been spraying Permectrin with my handheld and it seems to be working fine.

I have very good luck with the diesel/Permectrin mix but on a rub rather than spraying them. Here is a picture of my rub hanging across the lane to the waterer in the background.

Jim

IMG_0134_cattlerubatentrancetowater052211.jpg

robertwhite said:
Forgive the ignorance, but why do you have to mix the Permethrin with diesel if you are spraying it on with a hand held pump sprayer? I thought you only mixed with diesel when using a rub type applicator, no?

I also had a thought. Can a surfactant (used to get insecticides and weed killers to stick) be used instead of diesel?

And is it Permethrin (used to kill lice in humans) or Permectrin that you are using? If it is actually Permethrin, why?

I have been spraying Permectrin with my handheld and it seems to be working fine.[/quote] if i spray it on i dont mix with diesel either but i got those porous slick hided brahman influenced cows :cowboy:

M.Magis":253wscft said:
If I'm not mistaken, Permectrin is a name brand of permethrin.

OK, not to throw another curve ball, but I just got back from the Co-Op and while there I looked on the shelf and saw BOTH Permectrin and Permethrin. :hide:

If they are different labeled, but the same thing, it would make no sense to carry both. I didn't take note of any ingredients as I was in a big rush, but I did note that the Permethrin said 10% on it.

:?:

robertwhite":3bin7eb0 said:
M.Magis":3bin7eb0 said:
If I'm not mistaken, Permectrin is a name brand of permethrin.

OK, not to throw another curve ball, but I just got back from the Co-Op and while there I looked on the shelf and saw BOTH Permectrin and Permethrin. :hide:

If they are different labeled, but the same thing, it would make no sense to carry both. I didn't take note of any ingredients as I was in a big rush, but I did note that the Permethrin said 10% on it.

:?:
Were they priced the same?????????/probably not since one is name brand and the other a generic... ;-)

1982vett":2omb1zoq said:
Were they priced the same?????????/probably not since one is name brand and the other a generic... ;-)

Actually, they were both $10.99 in the size I looked at.

So, which one is the BN and which is the generic? Now Ya'll have me on a mission to go and read both labels.

robertwhite":1qh84j2k said:
1982vett":1qh84j2k said:

So, which one is the BN and which is the generic? Now Ya'll have me on a mission to go and read both labels.
Permethrin is the generic for the product in the Permectrin.

The Permectrin CDS pour on lasted about three weeks and the flies were starting to get bad again.

I wonder about mixing with the current diesel fuel, they changed the formula a couple of years ago and it's nothing like it use to be, is it still safe to be putting on cattle?

RD-Sam":ihc39ado said:
The Permectrin CDS pour on lasted about three weeks and the flies were starting to get bad again.

I wonder about mixing with the current diesel fuel, they changed the formula a couple of years ago and it's nothing like it use to be, is it still safe to be putting on cattle?
I've been doing it for over 10 years and the changes sure didn;t seem to affect anything

hello,
would the ratio of permethrin to diesel be the same if applied to a backrub (as in photo)?
also, has anyone used a diesel mix with "Gordon's Livestock and Backrubber Pour-on", I bought a 2 1/2 gallon jug of it and would like to mix with diesel for a cattle rub as in photo.

thanks,
Jack

dun":3lfdjqbz said:
robertwhite":3lfdjqbz said:
1982vett":3lfdjqbz said:

Permethrin is the generic for the product in the Permectrin.
Permethrin is the drug name. Permethrin is the original product, Permectrin is a product based on the original.

Latest posts