Did I put the calf down too soon?

Help Support CattleToday:

nycowgirl

Reaction score
Tuesday afternoon I get called home from work by the boyfriend- 3 day old calf is down. It was very lethargic,and wouldn't open it's eyes. Rectal temp was 101. Mouth was cold per my finger so I put a clean cover on the thermometer- 97 degrees in the mouth. I warmed the calf in the shop. The skin pinch test on it's neck and looking over it's eyes (sunken) lead me to believe it was dehydrated. I injected about 300 ml's of warm lactated ringers solution under the skin on its back. We massaged it's legs and body. After a few hours it's temp on both ends was about 101. I gave it 6 ml Baytril. I gave it electrolytes orally. Wednesday morning I orally gave it 1/2 bottle milk replacer orally. Wednesday night it was up and drank a full bottle. Thursday it took a bottle morn and night while in with it's mother. Mother did not look like it had been nursed off of. This morning I get a call from the boyfriend come to the barn quick, the calf is turning it's neck funny and walking funny. I get there in about a half hour and the calf is in a seizure.( I have a dog that has epilepsy and takes 3 different med daily. It is definitely a seizure). Rectal temp 108. I say "enough". We put the calf down with a .22. About a 1/2 cup of white stuff comes out of it's mouth.

Did I quit too early? Should I have tried to cool the calf and stop the seizure? I'm guessing the "one time" dose on the label was not enough and we should have given it a few days of the Baytril. Please share your experience so we can do better next time.

Thanks,
Amy

sorry for your loss and its hard to know when to quit with a sick calf.i know in the past i have spent too much time and $$ on sick calves only to see them die anyways.i have not lost one since i switched to draxxin.

You said that it did not look like the calf has nursed from the mother. At all?

They should get the colustrum from their mother int he first 6 hours. If they don't get any there isn't really much hope.

Most people wait too long.

Don't regret a decision like this. Maybe there is a slight chance you could have nursed this calf all week and ended up with an adult cow in a couple of years (presuming the seizure isn't something serious - Ghostie had one, once, when she started recovering but not like you describe) - I've done it; Ghostie had two calves, 95 three and both were sold last year for not breeding back, both had little issues that couldn't be pinned down on the calfhood sickness but might have been (95 managed to let her calf die at birth two or three times).

Not having the time, energy or knowledge to adequately care for a sick beast is a good enough reason to put it down. Before it or you suffer.

Temp 108 ;I think that the calf was most likely on the way out . You didn't let it suffer and did your best to help from the onset. It is hard to do but sometimes that is the best decision. Sorry about your calf .

You did fine. It's just a part of ranching. No one likes it, but it happens, and will happen again if you stay in the game.

piedmontese":3to8jlo0 said:
sorry for your loss and its hard to know when to quit with a sick calf.i know in the past i have spent too much time and $$ on sick calves only to see them die anyways.i have not lost one since i switched to draxxin.

Can you tell us a little about your experience with draxxin? It seems like she did everything she could to save the calf expect some preventive medicine ......

[/quote]

Can you tell us a little about your experience with draxxin? It seems like she did everything she could to save the calf expect some preventive medicine ......[/quote]

First, NY like some have said its never what you want but it's part of ranching. Sorry you had to do it, but it sounds like it was time to do it.

Second, I also switched to Draxxin from Micotil. Its safer and you still give a small dose unlike nuflor and Oxy. It covers a range of problems and so far works great with one treatment. Yes, it's very expensive, but calculate it out on a per dose basis not by the bottle. Also, whats the time and effectivness worth?

Latest posts