Dick cheney

Help Support CattleToday:

stocky":2sj21xwz said:
I would not hesitate to go hunting with Dick Cheney if asked. I have met him and visited with him and we should be thankful we have a hunter and outdoorsman in such a high office. If the Republicans dont start leading while they are in power, we will have only anti-hunters and anti-farmers in power in the near future. I have quail hunted all my life. I have never been shot or shot anyone. However, I hunt by myself or with 1 or 2 friends at the most. You always have an idea where the other hunters are. If a hunter gets out of the picture, he is expected to let people know when he re-enters the shooting area. I have pheasant hunted for many years with 8-10 people. There are alot of people get peppered when the group gets larger. The more people, the more chances of an accident. What I read said that Cheney peppered the guy at 30 yards with birdshot. The landowner said the guy wasnt hurt and it was only because of the V.P.'s doctors being there that he was taken to the hospital. The press is angry because Cheney told the landowner to report it since it was on their property. She went and told the local newspaper and the national media missed out, that is what they are upset about. The one question I have had and still havent seen the answer to is: Did Cheney kill the bird? That is the important question

Besides the above, it was 28 gauge - nominally 3/4 oz of shot at 1200 fps

dun

I too agree that our VP is a hunter, and gun owner. If anyone has been a hunter longe enough, accidents WILL happen , and hopefully they will not be too bad. I am sure the gun veto, and animal rights people will be all over this.

Limomike":3g6kwcik said:
I too agree that our VP is a hunter, and gun owner. If anyone has been a hunter longe enough, accidents WILL happen , and hopefully they will not be too bad. I am sure the gun veto, and animal rights people will be all over this.
I see you're new here and I dont want to step on your boot too hard BUT,I've hunted since I was a kid, and NEVER had a hunting accident.Most Hunting accidents are preventable, and the one's that do occur usually are contributed by a high degree of, let's use the proper phrase "Lack of judgement" or absence thereof.

Limomike":r5ai45xq said:
accidents WILL happen , and hopefully they will not be too bad.

Couldn;t disagree more. Occasioanlly something completely out of ones control does happen, a part breaks or a series of things all combine to make it happen. But the majority of the hunters I've known and have dealt with have never had any sort of accident and that includes accidental discharges.

dun

jw":g373ld05 said:
I would turn down any invitations from Cheney on the hunting deal. Sheeesh

I would still rather go on a hunting trip with Cheney than in a car ride with Kennedy!!

here ya go ;-) ....

http://www.cafepress.com/huntwithcheney.47628082

cheneykennedy.jpg

You know the accident (it wasn't deliberate) doesn't bother me as much as the fact that they were hunting without the required game bird stamp. I wonder if they just weren't aware they needed one? In that case the guide was at fault for not checking and of course hunters should know the laws of the state they choose to hunt in, but if they just chose not to get the stamp for whatever reason then that's a different story. The law is the law no matter who you are. Has anyone heard what the reason was for them not having the stamp?

I normally would not weigh in on these discussions, but my 10 year old son came home last night asking specific questions about the "accident" since the kids and teachers were discussing it at school. Timely event because even though he has been shooting for years (real nice 8 point this year), I am just now letting him go out on his own with rifle and/or shotgun to hunt squirrels, rabbits, hogs, etc.

My comment to him was I did not feel this was an "accident", but rather negligence on the part of the shooter. By my definition accidents are unpreventable. This inceident was preventable. Primary rule of firearm safety is muzzle control. The shooter is responsible for the discharge of the weapon in a safe manner, regardless of whether or not someone walks up unannounced. Others may disagree, but at least it might keep me from getting shot next time I hunt with my boy.

A6gal":3vyg4335 said:
You know the accident (it wasn't deliberate) doesn't bother me as much as the fact that they were hunting without the required game bird stamp. I wonder if they just weren't aware they needed one? In that case the guide was at fault for not checking and of course hunters should know the laws of the state they choose to hunt in, but if they just chose not to get the stamp for whatever reason then that's a different story. The law is the law no matter who you are. Has anyone heard what the reason was for them not having the stamp?

He asked his staff to get all the required hunting licenses, they contacted the Texas Game and Fishing people. And they got all the licenses suggested. Apparently it was an error on the part of the Texas agency.

Well at least it wasn't a deliberate oversight on the VP's part.

My last post didn't sound quite right. It does bother me that someone was injured in the accident. I just feel it was negligence from both parties.

It would bother me to know our VP was trying to get around the laws we all have to abide by to save a few dollars. I'm glad to know that wasn't the case.

IMO it was negligence on both of their parts.

If you're bird hunting with others you simply don't walk into an area that is likely to be shot over.
If your bird hunting with other people you better make darn sure nobody is in your shot path before pulling the trigger.

If either person had done their part this wouldn't have happened.

Luckily it turned out to be a relatively minor injury considering the situation....Cheney is gonna suffer more in the press than the lawyer is in the hospital it appears.

Just got to this thread after seeing the other. Looks like several participants have never hunted quail. If you're in good quail with good dogs you can easily walk/run 20 miles in a day. If you're middle aged or older you're going to get in a pickup between covey rises. You work the dogs from the pickup. When they find birds you get out and walk through the dogs and work the birds. You will still do plenty of miles of walking in a day of hunting like this. There is nothing un-sportsmanlike about hunting quail like that. Some folks use gun-broke mules, some use pickups. Nobody hunts quail on foot all day long.

Chuckie":31u3stq3 said:
The public has a little more interest in the useless, negligent accidents of people that make decisions for the rest of us. We don't need any help with creating bigger disasters on bigger scales. We like to know that he can think ahead of time and react accordingly. Mostly when it concerns the population and not one hunting buddy.
I bet if he had this accident during an election, it would have made the numbers change.

I am sure the numbers would have risen, I believe Kerry and Edwards are both Lawyers. I bet if they would have thought of it they would have shot a lawyer during the elections! :D

What is the limit on Lawyers down there in Texas? I was wondering after getting one did Chenney go on and fill his limit? :D

From an email I received yesterday:

Press Release
(02/14/06)

The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department issued a statement today saying Vice President Cheney broke no law by shooting a lawyer instead of a quail over the weekend.

A TPWD spokesman noted that, in Texas, lawyers are not considered game creatures, and are thus not subject to seasonal limitations or bag limits. It was further noted that lawyer hunting was encouraged as the state is overrun with the pesky creatures.

A local food critic said that, contrary to rumor, lawyers do not
taste like chicken, but rather like bovine dung which is a major
component of their composition

Latest posts