Diatomaceous Earth

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I was wondering if anyone has ever used Diatomaceous Earth for worming their cattle. Also, what other uses is it supposed to be for? Any info will be helpful
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

(User Above)":1c2nq957 said:
: I was wondering if anyone has ever used Diatomaceous Earth for worming their cattle. Also, what other uses is it supposed to be for? Any info will be helpful <p>Jamie,<br>I will also be interested in what others have to say about your question. DE can be successfully used to control insects in bulk stored grain, such as wheat, milo, oats etc. I have read and talked to folks who are believers in using DE for control of internal parasites, and flies ( larvae that hatch in manure.) Some have done fecal counts following use of DE for internal parasites but the question I ask was, were counts done prior to use for comparison purposes. Most say no. Some say DE is a source of calcium, but few know if it is in a form usable by the animal. Others say the sharp fragments in DE will irritate the digestive lining of the animal. There is suppose to be a feed grade quality of DE. I have not found anyone real confident on it's use or who knows how it should be fed, (ex. strait or mixed to encourage consumption.) Those who have used it say it must be offered year round. Good question. Just for discussion purposes let's say these are range cows rather than confined, and with few adjacent cattle surrounding yours.<p>
<br>

[email protected]

I have a friend who operated pretty much organically and he uses it. he has built a feeder from a plastic 55 gallon drum..he cut a hole in front and suspended it from a tree with rope and has a "collar" over the top made from an old inner tube..he puts a block of salt in the middle of a pile of the Diatomaceous earth and it sticks to the wet noses when they lick the salt. He has spot checked the cattle for worms and has little problem with them. Of course, he has a huge dung beetle population and rotates pastures, which would help with infestations.<br>: : I was wondering if anyone has ever used Diatomaceous Earth for worming their cattle. Also, what other uses is it supposed to be for? Any info will be helpful <p>: Jamie,<br>: I will also be interested in what others have to say about your question. DE can be successfully used to control insects in bulk stored grain, such as wheat, milo, oats etc. I have read and talked to folks who are believers in using DE for control of internal parasites, and flies ( larvae that hatch in manure.) Some have done fecal counts following use of DE for internal parasites but the question I ask was, were counts done prior to use for comparison purposes. Most say no. Some say DE is a source of calcium, but few know if it is in a form usable by the animal. Others say the sharp fragments in DE will irritate the digestive lining of the animal. There is suppose to be a feed grade quality of DE. I have not found anyone real confident on it's use or who knows how it should be fed, (ex. strait or mixed to encourage consumption.) Those who have used it say it must be offered year round. Good question. Just for discussion purposes let's say these are range cows rather than confined, and with few adjacent cattle surrounding yours.<p>
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts