Diabetic Thread

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
I'm starting this thread because there's a least a couple to three of us that are diabetics and need suggestions, recipes or any information that will make life a little easier. I know that cutting the carbs will help losing weight because I've done it before to the tune of 52 lbs. Well, that was six years ago and about 40 of those have found their way back to me.

I started taking diabetic meds almost a year ago and the sugar still runs high in the mornings. The wife doesn't know how to cook for me and if left to my own I get really tired of just eating salads. I could get by eating meat for all of my meals but the heart side of my problems screams at me if I do.

Doc wants me to eat three meals a day with a couple of light snacks in between, but with the running I do most days I find it difficult to get two meals in and a snack before bed. Yep, I know I'm screwing up with that one late one.

Anyway, if you have secret recipes or ingredients that will help please post them.

Caustic Burno":1sjvea9n said:
Quit eating that is what I did.
Cut the meal portions way back and eat healthy, no snacks.
We rarely eat away from the house , the Mrs has most everything from
desert to the main course is low carb.
She has ticker issues and me with diabetes. Get more exercise.
If I am going to look at something I walk instead of getting on the Mule.
Have my 30 day glucose average at 116 that is testing 6 times a day.

My cholesterol never has been high just lower now.

pdfangus":1sjvea9n said:
SIMILAR....

I only test in the morning when I first awake before consuming anything...

when had trouble with the lawn mower I bought a push mower and cut grass three or four evenings a week now...
when I go look at the cows in the neighbors fields I generally take the horse rather than the tractor now....

very difficult to eat out and eat healthy and not go broke....

big difference is my wife is struggling with the new menu....I do more that half of my own meal planning and preparation now....

Good thread Slick.
I am not diabetic, but it runs in my family (mom, sister, brother) as well as my husbands family(father, son, gr.daughter).
I will look thru some of my stuff for some recipes to post as soon as I get a chance.
As for your high AM glucose, have you tried metformin? Also a lowish carb (20 gr) night time snack can help.

I have been looking for recipes with low potassium for hubby. I found this site that has a recipe section that takes into account diabetics. It is a kidney disease site, but could help. Davita.com

Thanks CF. For me it's been like fighting a dragon. We have bought diabetic cookbooks but haven't really found any meals that will satisfy the both of us. The truth is most taste like crap. I think I just need a good plan to approached this diet with a better attitude.

Thanks presmudjo. I'll sure look at it.

I take Metformin twice per day. :oops:
I have a real problem with sweets and have found that the Atkins products help me with that. (Very low carb) I like the shakes for a quick meal and many of the candy bars are very good.

slick4591":g91w3dx2 said:
I'm starting this thread because there's a least a couple to three of us that are diabetics and need suggestions, recipes or any information that will make life a little easier. I know that cutting the carbs will help losing weight because I've done it before to the tune of 52 lbs. Well, that was six years ago and about 40 of those have found their way back to me.

I started taking diabetic meds almost a year ago and the sugar still runs high in the mornings. The wife doesn't know how to cook for me and if left to my own I get really tired of just eating salads. I could get by eating meat for all of my meals but the heart side of my problems screams at me if I do.

Doc wants me to eat three meals a day with a couple of light snacks in between, but with the running I do most days I find it difficult to get two meals in and a snack before bed. Yep, I know I'm screwing up with that one late one.

Anyway, if you have secret recipes or ingredients that will help please post them.

Caustic Burno":g91w3dx2 said:
Quit eating that is what I did.
Cut the meal portions way back and eat healthy, no snacks.
We rarely eat away from the house , the Mrs has most everything from
desert to the main course is low carb.
She has ticker issues and me with diabetes. Get more exercise.
If I am going to look at something I walk instead of getting on the Mule.
Have my 30 day glucose average at 116 that is testing 6 times a day.

My cholesterol never has been high just lower now.

pdfangus":g91w3dx2 said:
SIMILAR....

I only test in the morning when I first awake before consuming anything...

when had trouble with the lawn mower I bought a push mower and cut grass three or four evenings a week now...
when I go look at the cows in the neighbors fields I generally take the horse rather than the tractor now....

very difficult to eat out and eat healthy and not go broke....

big difference is my wife is struggling with the new menu....I do more that half of my own meal planning and preparation now....

My name is John, and I'm a foodaholic. :oops: Ashamed to say I tested myself this morning @ 215. Been up in the high 100's and too many days over 200 lately. Yes, I need to get a handle on myself.

I take 10 Mg glyburide and 2000 Mg Metformin daily. Started Novolin N insulin this summer. Was taking 15 units and this week went to 20 units daily. Need to see my provider and face the music.

Before hay season I was doing better but I got away from the house and the refrigerator for most of the day. :roll: During haying I'd go to the field about 8 in the morning and work straight through with no meal/snack until 2-4PM. Kinda pigged out when I got home but was tired more than hungry so had a bite and went to bed.

I think I actually do better when I eat out if I make half sensible decisions about what I order. At least my portions are determined for me and I don't go back for seconds. :roll:

I went to town on Tues and had breakfast that lasted me most of the day. 6 oz sirloin steak, 2 eggs were probably good for me. Hash browns and sourdough toast, not so much. I peppered and ate the over easy eggs on top of the hashbrowns. I made the steak with a small amount of Heinz 57 into a sandwich with the toast. Black coffee, no jam on the toast.

I salute Caustic for his dicipline. You sir, are a good example and role model for the rest of us, especially me.
:tiphat:

OK - some possible words of wisdom from (I believe at the moment I am) the reigning topic lock down champ!

I hope you will all allow me to pontificate a bit.

As a guy who lives a different kind of life from the average bear, I have been under the mandatory military care of a dietician for many years - as have nearly all of the guys who travel with me.

For anyone who is serious about diabetes and wonders about food - their best bet - and it truly is - is to set up an appointment with a registered dietician. They have the food answers, meals ideas and recipe answers for you. Plus the meal plans that will suit your life style.

This will be some of the best money you spend and it might even be covered under your plan.

However you have to make the effort because they will not come and knock on your door. I live and die on some of their ideas and I have also participated in some pretty interesting experiments - you would be surprised at what you can eat and survive on. LOL

Another thing - while this does not work for everyone, most people here watch at least one hour of television every night.

In conjunction with the above ......

No diet required - just a slight reduction in caloric intake and serious reduction in sugars (most here would be very surprised at what foods contain sugar) and drink lots of water - stop drinking any kind of fruit juice asap - more sugar in it than in Coke. This is where your dietician advice will come in handy. Real handy!

Eat your big meal in the morning, your next sized meal at lunch and your small meal at night. If you are unable to sit down to a meal, then pack a lunch. Make it a smart lunch - not full of crap and processed foods. Do not play with this because excuses are easy to come up with - it requires effort.

And stop! And actually eat it - on time - no matter where you are. Period!

Allow yourself to cheat once or twice a week - those days become highlights but do not make it a habit.

Then - Set up a BowFlex Tread Climber in front of that television and watch that favourite program while walking for one hour every night. Do not miss! Most, if privately honest with themselves can find that amount of time in the evening to do this. Put that machine in a central part of the house - not hidden away in some boring place that you begin to hate less than 5 minutes after you step on it.

Use it!

Watch your favourite TV program while doing it.

If you have heart probs / blood pressure trouble start slow and only after being cleared by the doc.

Weigh yourself at the start of your three month program.

Do not step on the scales again for at least a month.

If you do not miss one night and are religious about the above, you will lose weight. A lot of weight. But only if you really want to.

For most, not all - this simple weight loss and diet adjustments will reduce and in many cases remove medicinal requirements.

Trust me it works.

Start with your Doc - then the dietician and then YOU!

Only you can make those necessary life style changes - it is easy to find an excuse - and never forget - it is usually easy to find some pall bearers as well. The choices are yours and yours alone.

All it takes is discipline.

A small investment in your health for a huge return on your life.

Best to all

Bez__

Bez__":31tpaewm said:
OK - some possible words of wisdom from (I believe at the moment I am) the reigning topic lock down champ!
Bez__

Na I think you have 2 or 3 then you will have caught up to me :mrgreen:

Bez__":2ggjayal said:

I hope you will all allow me to pontificate a bit.

As a guy who lives a different kind of life from the average bear, I have been under the mandatory military care of a dietician for many years - as have nearly all of the guys who travel with me.

For anyone who is serious about diabetes and wonders about food - their best bet - and it truly is - is to set up an appointment with a registered dietician. They have the food answers, meals ideas and recipe answers for you. Plus the meal plans that will suit your life style.

This will be some of the best money you spend and it might even be covered under your plan.

However you have to make the effort because they will not come and knock on your door. I live and die on some of their ideas and I have also participated in some pretty interesting experiments - you would be surprised at what you can eat and survive on. LOL

Another thing - while this does not work for everyone, most people here watch at least one hour of television every night.

In conjunction with the above ......

No diet required - just a slight reduction in caloric intake and serious reduction in sugars (most here would be very surprised at what foods contain sugar) and drink lots of water - stop drinking any kind of fruit juice asap - more sugar in it than in Coke. This is where your dietician advice will come in handy. Real handy!

Eat your big meal in the morning, your next sized meal at lunch and your small meal at night. If you are unable to sit down to a meal, then pack a lunch. Make it a smart lunch - not full of crap and processed foods. Do not play with this because excuses are easy to come up with - it requires effort.

And stop! And actually eat it - on time - no matter where you are. Period!

Allow yourself to cheat once or twice a week - those days become highlights but do not make it a habit.

Then - Set up a BowFlex Tread Climber in front of that television and watch that favourite program while walking for one hour every night. Do not miss! Most, if privately honest with themselves can find that amount of time in the evening to do this. Put that machine in a central part of the house - not hidden away in some boring place that you begin to hate less than 5 minutes after you step on it.

Use it!

Watch your favourite TV program while doing it.

If you have heart probs / blood pressure trouble start slow and only after being cleared by the doc.

Weigh yourself at the start of your three month program.

Do not step on the scales again for at least a month.

If you do not miss one night and are religious about the above, you will lose weight. A lot of weight. But only if you really want to.

For most, not all - this simple weight loss and diet adjustments will reduce and in many cases remove medicinal requirements.

Trust me it works.

Start with your Doc - then the dietician and then YOU!

Only you can make those necessary life style changes - it is easy to find an excuse - and never forget - it is usually easy to find some pall bearers as well. The choices are yours and yours alone.

All it takes is discipline.

A small investment in your health for a huge return on your life.

Best to all

Bez__

Lots of good advice in there and most things are what my doc drums into my noggin' every time I see him. He gives me paperwork on diets and on foods I'm banned from. Basically, if it tastes good I can't eat it.

Had blood work done on Monday and the nurse just called and said to keep on doing what I'm doing. Don't remember the numbers, but I'm just under the high point. That's fine and well, but I'm still on meds and I know I can do this to where I don't have to take any. Willpower. Yep, that's the word. Blood sugar was 163 this morning.

I've been eating lots of pork and turkey with an occasional steak. I'm also getting pretty tired of green beans and greens, which are low in carbs. Was eating lots of peas until I finally figured out
they were high.

One trap I've found myself in is my wife wants dinner pretty quick after she gets home at 5:30. I have found that by bedtime I'm ready for a whole 'nother meal. To curb my hunger I've turned to snacks. Now, most would say to grab some fruit, but my doc says to avoid fruit unless he!! is freezing over. Doesn't leave much else to choose from as far as I know.

I come from a long line of diabetics, just waiting for my turn. The dietician advice is spot-on. Next - doctors
don't know squat about nutrition. You can't just give up fruit. Portion control is key. A few things that might
help -if you're going to eat beef, eat the sirloin. It's leaner. Smaller portion. You can eat more raw vegetables
than cooked. A BIG thing is get rid of white-flour products and move to whole grains. Whole wheat breads, pastas,
brown rice, etc. The first ingredient should say " whole wheat flour" or "whole grain" etc. These don't spike your blood sugar as badly. The bedtime snack should include some protein - helps keep your sugar steadier through the night.
Control your fat intake, and don't just substitute the fake no-fat stuff in it's place.
It's tricky but possible to still have some of the things you like, just not all the time. Or a whole carton of ice cream, which will be my problem. :)

Slick, where does your Dr. want to see you on your daily carb intake? Knowing that will make it easier to help design meal and snack ideas.

A couple of general rules, that I'm sure you probably already know about, but here goes.
Stay away from anything that says it "low fat" or "diet" They generally add sugar to make it taste better without the fat.
Steer clear of low fat dairy. Go with whole cream, and whole milk products. Lower carb content. Cream has almost none.
Don't use margarine or any hydrogenated fats. They increase arterial inflammation. Use butter and as natural a cooking oil as you can find.

Not all fruit has the same glycemic index.
Most fresh berries are quite low. 1/2 cup is only about 4-1/2 gr. Top that with some Readi-whip chocolate cream for 1 more gr. and you have a really tasty snack with only about 5 gr of carbs. Fresh blackberries and raspberries are relatively low also.
Whip really, really cold whipping cream with some berries for a shake. A stick bender in a tall narrow glass works great!
Like I mentioned, if you have a high fasting BS, a bedtime snack with some carbs (up to 20 gr) can actually help because your body isn't trying as hard to compensate for that long, overnite fast.

On a more controversial note, in regard to the heart diet, there are more studies that disprove the conventional approach to saturated (animal) based fats than there are that support it. Well documented studies (as well as heaps of anecdotal evidence) suggest there is no correlation between dietary cholesterol (and fat) to blood cholesterol. Bear in mind that in the 70+ years since the USDA started recommending low fat, (high carb) diets, the incidence of heart disease, diabetes and insulin resistance has skyrocketed. I'm not saying it's the sole cause, as we have also seen significant lifestyle changes in that time, but I have been convinced that it's a substantial contributing factor. The gist of this semi-rant is don't be afraid of fats from fresh meats, eggs and dairy products.

Doc has never told me a number that I can remember. I just do a blood test every 6 months and I either pass or fail. The nurse tells me to either continue like I'm doing or change something up. My guess is if I get to where he wants me to throw the drugs out he will tell me.

I already knew lots of the information given but I appreciate it again. Just have to get it into my head. The doc copied a page from The Fast Metabolism Diet rules of don't eat foods.They are:

#1 No Wheat
#2 No Corn
#3 No Dairy
#4 No Soy
#5 No Refined Sugar
#6 No Caffeine (still get 3 cups in every AM)
#7 No Alcohol
#8 No Dried Fruit (He added the fresh fruit part verbally)
#9 No Artificial Sweeteners
#10 No Fat-Free Diet Foods

He also was adamant about no processed foods or fatty meat.

We have converted back to regular butter.

slick4591":2jjasnli said:
Doc has never told me a number that I can remember. I just do a blood test every 6 months and I either pass or fail. The nurse tells me to either continue like I'm doing or change something up. My guess is if I get to where he wants me to throw the drugs out he will tell me.

I already knew lots of the information given but I appreciate it again. Just have to get it into my head. The doc copied a page from The Fast Metabolism Diet rules of don't eat foods.They are:

#1 No Wheat
#2 No Corn
#3 No Dairy
#4 No Soy
#5 No Refined Sugar
#6 No Caffeine (still get 3 cups in every AM)
#7 No Alcohol
#8 No Dried Fruit (He added the fresh fruit part verbally)
#9 No Artificial Sweeteners
#10 No Fat-Free Diet Foods

We have converted back to regular butter.

With all due respect to your doctor this doesn't look like a viable, long term diet for a diabetic.
A brief glance at the basics of the diet, it appears to be a weight loss plan, but really isn't tailored to the needs of a diabetic.
It bounces back and forth between high protein and high glycemic foods to shock the bodies metabolic rate. Unfortunately the high glycemic days with also wreak havoc on your blood sugar. To reduce or eliminate the meds you're taking you'll pretty much have to count and restrict carbs. If you add even moderate exercise into the equation you'll want to check your blood sugar several times a day. Weight loss will be the side effect of that, but a sustainable diet that helps control your blood sugar has to be the primary goal. I'm not advocating a ketosis inducing diet, but it is something to discuss with a dietician if you really want to kick start your weight loss. I'm not a fan because it can have some dangers lurking if there are any undiagnosed liver or kidney problems. I prefer to see a more moderate carb count of 40-60 gr.
I urge you to connect with a diabetes educator/dietician who will give you specific goals, but here's my :2cents: worth on this diets requirements:

#1 No Wheat I wouldn't say none, but avoid whenever you can
#2 No Corn Pretty much same as wheat
#3 No Dairy Bullpuckey! Just avoid the lowfat stuff, it has a higher carb content. No processed cheeses though
#4 No Soy Other than edamame and soy sauce, neither of which are a problem, I have no opinion of soy
#5 No Refined Sugar This is true for everyone whenever possible
#6 No Caffeine (still get 3 cups in every AM) I'd prefer to see you drop it to 2 or 1!!
#7 No Alcohol minimize, it's pretty empty carbs
#8 No Dried Fruit (He added the fresh fruit part verbally) I'm assuming this is because of nitrates? Depending upon your heart condition and meds, this is probably valid.The diet does not have any restrictions on fresh fruit, it does say to also avoid fruit juice. There's no reason you have to give up fruit, it just needs to be taken into consideration as part of your carb count.
#9 No Artificial Sweeteners This is simply not realistic for a diabetic. Splenda will become your new bff. Yes other sweeteners like honey and stevia are probably 'healthier', but they're not generally an option for non insulin using diabetics
#10 No Fat-Free Diet Foods Agreed! For everyone, not just diabetics.

Processed foods are best to avoid for everyone. Processed foods in general can be high carb, but are also high preservative which can cause inflammation not conducive to heart/arterial health. "High" fat meat is relative in my opinion. I generally prefer leaner versions of most meat, but I still add 18-20% pork fat when I make turkey sausage, and I'm guessing that would be considered high fat. I would disagree.

Oh yeah, Drink lots of water!!!! :D

Slick

Straight up - and I am sure you would not have it any other way

I do not want to hear another word about your frigging doctor and what his nurse says - unless it is to tell us that you are progressing as per below - for the second time now - get him to refer you to a dietician - or find one whatever way you want - be sure it is not a quack but a true dietician - someone who knows diabetes

And I might add there seems to be at least one other person in this thread who would agree with me

And get that exercise equipment and use it - possible complaints about being too tired might simply be because you are overweight and have no energy - so start slow and work up to it.

If you are not interested in doing this asap you can look in the mirror to see who to blame - it is your life - you can complain about it or do something about it - ball is in your court and I will go you one further

I dare you to do this and give it an honest - true and honest - attempt for three months before you come back here and start with what seems like a bit of whining to me.

Bet you a buck if you do this your numbers are better and and you feel better and you might even go so far as to never have to use meds again.

Otherwise you might as well make your funeral plans now and pick out your favourite friends as pall bearers my friend - it will take some strain off the family

Tell me to eff off if you like but you are going to die sooner this way right now - so make sure your insurance is paid up as well - might as well give the wife a better life style when you are gone.

Read it all again now.

I dare you.

Once you calm down your best answer to me and everyone else here is - "I will take that bet."

You do and I will send you that dollar - but only if you succeed and do not limp wrist/weak dick out on me.

Now quit your whining and get on with it.

Best to you

Bez__

CottageFarm":19ox9gpl said:
With all due respect to your doctor this doesn't look like a viable, long term diet for a diabetic.
A brief glance at the basics of the diet, it appears to be a weight loss plan, but really isn't tailored to the needs of a diabetic.
It bounces back and forth between high protein and high glycemic foods to shock the bodies metabolic rate. Unfortunately the high glycemic days with also wreak havoc on your blood sugar. To reduce or eliminate the meds you're taking you'll pretty much have to count and restrict carbs. If you add even moderate exercise into the equation you'll want to check your blood sugar several times a day. Weight loss will be the side effect of that, but a sustainable diet that helps control your blood sugar has to be the primary goal. I'm not advocating a ketosis inducing diet, but it is something to discuss with a dietician if you really want to kick start your weight loss. I'm not a fan because it can have some dangers lurking if there are any undiagnosed liver or kidney problems. I prefer to see a more moderate carb count of 40-60 gr.
I urge you to connect with a diabetes educator/dietician who will give you specific goals, but here's my :2cents: worth on this diets requirements:

#1 No Wheat I wouldn't say none, but avoid whenever you can
#2 No Corn Pretty much same as wheat
#3 No Dairy Bullpuckey! Just avoid the lowfat stuff, it has a higher carb content. No processed cheeses though
#4 No Soy Other than edamame and soy sauce, neither of which are a problem, I have no opinion of soy
#5 No Refined Sugar This is true for everyone whenever possible
#6 No Caffeine (still get 3 cups in every AM) I'd prefer to see you drop it to 2 or 1!!
#7 No Alcohol minimize, it's pretty empty carbs
#8 No Dried Fruit (He added the fresh fruit part verbally) I'm assuming this is because of nitrates? Depending upon your heart condition and meds, this is probably valid.The diet does not have any restrictions on fresh fruit, it does say to also avoid fruit juice. There's no reason you have to give up fruit, it just needs to be taken into consideration as part of your carb count.
#9 No Artificial Sweeteners This is simply not realistic for a diabetic. Splenda will become your new bff. Yes other sweeteners like honey and stevia are probably 'healthier', but they're not generally an option for non insulin using diabetics
#10 No Fat-Free Diet Foods Agreed! For everyone, not just diabetics.

Processed foods are best to avoid for everyone. Processed foods in general can be high carb, but are also high preservative which can cause inflammation not conducive to heart/arterial health. "High" fat meat is relative in my opinion. I generally prefer leaner versions of most meat, but I still add 18-20% pork fat when I make turkey sausage, and I'm guessing that would be considered high fat. I would disagree.

Oh yeah, Drink lots of water!!!! :D

Water and Crystal Light lemonade and I are good friends. :lol: Hopefully, I haven't mis-communicated the list. It is foods to stay away from entirely and not a daily don't-eat-that-day kinda thing. This diet is designed primarily to lose weight so I can one day leave the meds behind. When I look at the main list of what's acceptable to eat, it looks more like a 1600 calorie diet with those foods not allowable.

The cholesterol has been good for a long time, so that's not a big concern for me at the moment. I didn't really understand the dairy exclusion either, but it's apparently in the book that he believes in.

Bez~ PM sent.

There are a lot of good ideas here, but don't forget diet is a 4 letter word and should rarely be used. Lifestyle modification - both dietary and exercise - is the key and yes, this is my everyday job and probably my future with my family history. My uncle, who is also a MD, lost over 100lbs and has kept most of it off with a low insulin diet which is fairly simple in theory. Complex carb's (whole grains) and not simple/refined carb's. More fruits and vegetables. Balance complex carb's and protein with breakfast and snacks. Lunch and dinner = 2 servings of green vegetables/salad to 1 serving of protein to one serving of carbohydrates. Don't forget that salad dressing is a hidden enemy for most of us. Once a week you get a free meal that must be eaten within 60 minutes and the above ratio is allowed with whatever volume you can eat. For example 3 pieces of pie would = 3 servings of lean meat & 6 servings of green vegetables. The more difficult part is making sure carbohydrate and protein servings are appropriate (small enough) and green servings are appropriate (large enough). This isn't complicated, flashy nor expensive, but is very effective.

Glad you mentioned the salad dressing. I use a trick my wife learned with Weight Watchers. Get the dressing on the side and dip your fork into it, then stab some salad. You get plenty of dressing, but cut back on the total amount greatly. Someone has been hiding that free meal from me. First I've heard of it.

Latest posts