Dexters-are mixed breeds cheaper?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hartman

Reaction score
Well, this is my first posting and I have a question. We are interested in getting a small milk cow and Dexters seemed like the answer, however we do not have $1500- $2000 to spend on a heifer calf. :shock: We live in western Montana- any suggestions? Thanks!

Hartman, I sent you a private message with a few suggestions that might be of help...

CRR, yes, Dexters do provide beef (did our first steer last fall and are very pleased). Dexters are known as good family milk cows too...not the quantities that Jerseys and Holsteins produce, but not everyone wants 4-5 gals a day. One of these days, when I don't have to work off the farm, I'm going to try the milking part myself.

Gale Seddon":3fg54bbr said:
One of these days, when I don't have to work off the farm, I'm going to try the milking part myself.
When you don't have to work off the farm, you will probaly have arthritis so bad you won't be able to stoop down and get up good enuf to milk a cow.

The $1500 to $2000 for a heifer calf may be a bit steep. There are lots of holstein springers available at that price. Jersey springers are generally less than $1500. Older Jersey cows in milk and bred back are $500 to $800. You can throw the extra milk away or raise a calf or pig and still be money ahead.
Dave

Thank all of you for your help. I was thinking something that produces a little less milk than a jersey. And I hate to be dumb- but, what is a springer?

Hartman":36xjguzj said:
. We are interested in getting a small milk cow and Dexters seemed like the answer, however we do not have $1500- $2000 to spend on a heifer calf. :shock: Thanks!

Is that the going rate for purebred Dexter Heifer calves?

Gale Seddon":3lse1fes said:
Hartman, I sent you a private message with a few suggestions that might be of help...

CRR, yes, Dexters do provide beef (did our first steer last fall and are very pleased). Dexters are known as good family milk cows too...not the quantities that Jerseys and Holsteins produce, but not everyone wants 4-5 gals a day. One of these days, when I don't have to work off the farm, I'm going to try the milking part myself.

I guess from that perspective, any cow could be used for a dairy cow. Limousins are supposedly bred up from dairy cows but I don't think I'd like to try milking one. :D So are Shorthorns and Simmentals. I've even heard of people milking Scottish Highlanders but I think you'd get quite a bit of hair in your milk. :lol:

A springer is a cow that is about to have a calf and thus start milking. It is a term more coomonly used by dairy farmers.
Frenchie, I thought the same thing about the price of Dexter heifers. Maybe I need to sell all them baldie cows and Holstein breeding bulls I have been raising and get into Dexters?
Dave

Dave":1fg2mte9 said:
A springer is a cow that is about to have a calf and thus start milking. It is a term more coomonly used by dairy farmers.
Frenchie, I thought the same thing about the price of Dexter heifers. Maybe I need to sell all them baldie cows and Holstein breeding bulls I have been raising and get into Dexters?
Dave

Hey you never know .You could make millions :lol:

Welcome to the board! I'm pretty new here too.
I also was considering a Dexter-- but the prices seemed too steep to me also. But around here a Dexter would be around 500-650 maybe for a heifer. Considering I bought my big Holstein/Hereford cross for 650, I thought that was a little steep,. Of course it may end up being false savings if she eats me out of house and home growing me a calf!!
Anyway, a guy I work with has a heifer he's planning on selling in a couple of months. He has registered animals, but seems sincere when he says he's not in it for the money. Real nice guy, if you were interested in travelling to Western Washington I could get his info to you. We've gone to Kalispell to pick up a couple of show chickens for my daughter-- doesn't seem unreasonable to me :) Plus I love a good road trip!
I read on other boards that they produce a really good milk, plus in a manageable quantity like you mentioned. The fact that they are more of a dual-purpose cow is a plus too.
Try going to the Homesteading Today board, there are lots of Dexter people there.

Good luck,
Susie

I have a heifer and a bull regestred dexters they are about a year and a half, wouldnt swop then they are so much fun to look at and so friendly. the bull plays with a old tire out in the field. Got mine for a guy that was selling off his herd and only paid 350.00 each.

downsfarm":22hqdqut said:
I have a heifer and a bull regestred dexters they are about a year and a half, wouldnt swop then they are so much fun to look at and so friendly. the bull plays with a old tire out in the field. Got mine for a guy that was selling off his herd and only paid 350.00 each.
That seems like a real bargain for registered Dexters...they are very rare in my area...Ive never even seen one except in pictures..maybe you could post a picture of the one playing with the tire???

Know this post will sound sarcastic...lol...please forgive me!

For those wanting "some" milk, people can "buy" milk at supermarket in pints, quarts, gallons for a lot less money, work, frustration, etc. than trying to use a dairy cow or dual-purpose breed for family milk. Of course, if one is into au natural foods and has a large litter of kids, suppose a smaller breed of milch cow might be a possible solution.

Is this a return to "Green Acres" sitcom of the 50's? When the novelty of having a milch cow and milking it a few weeks wears off... what will you do with the cow then??

Dang Bill! Enough! :stop: Lol.

Gee Bill,
I didn't mean to upset you with my simple question. I didn't realize that one has to be in the dairy business to qualify for owning a milk cow (and I am not sure what a milch cow is). We do not have a litter of kids (we believe in birth control), and really I am too young to remember sitcoms from the '50's (obviously you aren't- sorry was that too sarcastic?).

I do "buy" milk from the market now, but some of us are looking toward doing things for ourselves if we can. If I had a friendly neighbor like you, I would happily buy milk from them. However, as is all too common today, no one wants the "trouble" of a milk cow. As for ourselves, animals are our pleasure and our passion. We are not in it for money, we have to work off-farm to support our habit. We are not afraid of (nor any stranger to) hard and consistent work.

I apologize for not fitting your image of a capable dairy cow owner, just because I am looking for something that is smaller and produces less volume. You are forgiven for being sarcastic, because I know I am prone to do that, especially when someone is doing something I don't approve of.

Hartman

a family milk cow is a good idea if you have time to milk her and right the dairy cows are sky high i should know daied for 28yrs and been round cattle all my life so the rare cattle breeds will cost you alot of money scott

Hi Hartman, if you go to the web site using the google.com search engine then look under "Dexter cattle association of america' it will give you a list of web sites that gives you all the answers you want regarding the Dexter breeds, how to get them and what they can do...I personally found them easier to handle and much calmer than the larger cows...I have 5 dexter cows and all are halter trained as well as their calves...lovely lovely animals. And they are a pleasure to watch...so for the hobby farmer I would recommend the Dexter and their milk is delicious...Good luck...Im in Australia and I got my cows from a farmer who was selling out and I paid only $400 aussie dollars for them registered...in US dollars that is about $275. a steal...so look for sellers who are eager to get out of business and in a hurry to sell...oh yes plus they were in calf.. Good Luck

Wow Riverdance, What a great buy! I have been on the Dexter site a couple of times, I need to go back and check again- time is so little and work is so much!!!

It looks like we will need to wait until next spring anyway, so I will keep looking for people who are "tired" of their herd!
Thanks, Hartman

Hartman, I did forget to mention that was $400. aussie dollars each not for the whole lot..oh yes and the Dexter breed are known around here anyway for their tender meat...but I cant eat my cows cuz I already named them... ha ha ha...

Latest posts