Dexters-are mixed breeds cheaper?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hartman":176fys27 said:
Gee Bill,
I didn't mean to upset you with my simple question. I didn't realize that one has to be in the dairy business to qualify for owning a milk cow (and I am not sure what a milch cow is). We do not have a litter of kids (we believe in birth control), and really I am too young to remember sitcoms from the '50's (obviously you aren't- sorry was that too sarcastic?).

I do "buy" milk from the market now, but some of us are looking toward doing things for ourselves if we can. If I had a friendly neighbor like you, I would happily buy milk from them. However, as is all too common today, no one wants the "trouble" of a milk cow. As for ourselves, animals are our pleasure and our passion. We are not in it for money, we have to work off-farm to support our habit. We are not afraid of (nor any stranger to) hard and consistent work.

I apologize for not fitting your image of a capable dairy cow owner, just because I am looking for something that is smaller and produces less volume. You are forgiven for being sarcastic, because I know I am prone to do that, especially when someone is doing something I don't approve of.

Hartman

Welcome to the Board! Sometimes some of us have a little funning with people, sometimes sarcastic, and a few posters can be outright nasty... :(

Anyhoo, I/we are not into milk (milch) cows and only use about a pint every 10 days or so for cooking. Don't drink the stuff.

The Dexters are a very nice (slightly rare) breed, especially the Red Dexters. We're boarding 9 Dexters for a rancher until they get some of their pens reworked. The Dexters here are very friendly, easily managed, don't eat a lot, and are pleasing to be around. Calves are also very friendly, curious, and gentle.

Cows mature out at 600 to 800# and bulls at 800 to 1000#.

Hartman...good luck to ya, when you get ready to start milking we've got a old McCormick Dearing cream seperator, still works great, that we'll give a good deal on.
Dave Mc

Latest posts