Dexter Weanlings

Help Support CattleToday:

Gale Seddon

Reaction score
Here are pics of my Dexter weanlings (2 steers and 2 heifers)...just separated them from their moms this morning. Three are 6 months old and one is slightly over 4 months (hated pulling him also, but didn't want to wean just one by himself). Hope I don't regret that. They'll be confined for about 3 days, then turned out in a pasture adjacent to their mothers. For now though, they have hay, two small grain meals a day, loose minerals, and access to the donkey barn (3 unhappy donkeys have been ousted from their barn) -- everything but milkshakes!

Weanlings9-16-11bjpg.jpg

Weanlings9-16-11cjpg.jpg

Thank you! Three of them are non-dwarf (don't carry chondrodysplasia), thus they are taller than the carriers. In the first photo, the carrier is on the left; in the second photo, she's on the right. I think you can see the difference. I have no means of weighing them at this age, but my guess is around 200-250#. Most of the calves weigh between 45-60# at birth. I just came back from giving them dinner and it's getting noisy up the road...mostly mothers hollering.

I understand Dexters to be dual purpose - milk and meat. Do you milk them? If not, how did you decide to go with Dexters as opposed to Lowline angus for meat?

To answer your questions,

HD, ours keep their horns, though many people now either dehorn or breed for polled.
Djinwa, we don't milk them; we decided on Dexters because at the time they were considered a rare breed (not sure how rare now, with 2 registries, I don't think the ALBC has a correct count). The lowlines I've seen advertised are very pricey!
Keren, didn't you used to show Dexters? Would love to see pictures!

The four weanlings were promoted to the donkey pasture today (with 3 horrified donkeys). They followed me in there, checked out the Jolly Ball (that the donkeys ignore), and then decided to check out the longears. No donkeys, calves, or fences were hurt.

Weanlings9-20-11jpg.jpg

Weanlings9-20-11gjpg.jpg

Calves-Donks9-20-11jpg.jpg

Many thanks, HD. Here I thought that was a descriptive expression and now I learn it's a breed! I can see where they got the name...very solid looking cattle, bred from the Murray Gray. The Murray Grays I saw a few years back at the local fair were absolutely gorgeous. Didn't see if any of these square Meaters are in the US yet, but I imagine someone will import them, or perhaps semen. Thanks!