dexter cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Thought I would jump on into this conversation since I have been a Dexter breeder for over 12 years. Yes Dexters are a niche market, plain and simple we just don't have the numbers of animals that other breeds do.
Yes we have genetic defects, but tell me what breed doesn't. Heck the last few years the Angus breed was hit pretty hard. I remember also reading the book "The Battle of Bull Runts" regarding the Herefords.
Our breed attracts a wide variety of buyers. My neighbor who has a commercial herd of beef cattle using an Angus bull, fell in love with my Dexters so much so that he went out an bought himself about 12 Dexters. Now three years into owning Dexters and borrowing one of my bulls he is thinking about selling out his commercial herd of cattle and going with Dexters only. My other neighbor called my Dexters "dumpsters" :mad: he used to raise Limousines, sold out last year because of the drought here in Texas, bigger animals equate to eating more.
Here's the kicker of it all, I get quite a few calls from "used to own" older cattlemen :cboy: who sold out years ago, they miss having cattle around but don't like the headaches they sometimes can have working and dealing with larger framed cattle, Dexters fit them perfect.

It's not the breed but some of the breeders, plan and simple.

Barb
http://www.legendrockranch.com

Good one...."Dexters fit them perfect"...till these dexters grew wheels. They gave me massive headaches when I haul them into the trailer. I suspected that breeders do not cull the problem cows because "Oh Bessie is just having a bad day that's all" then try to made a pet out of them. So they continue breeding the problem cows to make more problem cattle then sold them to the people. Had to pick up a problem dexter that was kicked into the young amish woman's face while try to milk the dexter cow. Honestly it seems that Dexters has lost the touch of gentleness these days. That's why they are dirty cheapest cows around here.

~Tomboy~":2g5111i4 said:
Taurus what is it that you don't understand about my comment?

Glad to hear you hauled off the rotten apples, we don't need them in our breed.
However if you are judging the breed as a whole on some bad apples and breeders then you would also have to do that with every breed of cattle.

~Tomboy~":2uxgs0li said:
~Tomboy~":2uxgs0li said:
Taurus what is it that you don't understand about my comment?

Glad to hear you hauled off the rotten apples, we don't need them in our breed.
However if you are judging the breed as a whole on some bad apples and breeders then you would also have to do that with every breed of cattle.
like I said these dexters just lost their gentleness trait these days. I probably haul more than 35 problem dexter cows from different ranches. I blamed on breeders AND the breed too. Same with potbellied pigs.