Weanlings

Help Support CattleToday:

lithuanian farmer

Reaction score
Weaned eldest heifers today and will wean bulls tommorow. Heifers weaned 7-9 months old.
Took some pics of them outside.
2013_11240007.JPG

2013_11240006.JPG

2013_11240008.JPG

2013_11240005.JPG

2013_11240004.JPG

Excellent stock! I love pics of cattle. I would also love to see more pics of the buildings in the background of pic 2. I love to look at Europen architecture :tiphat:

Thank you.
All heifers were weaned by hands and rope. I put rope on one and then parents help me to lead her to the barn. Yesterday were weaned 7 heifers, ~660-850lbs. Weaned all for less than in 1.5 hour. Today need to wean 5 bulls, they are heavier ~770-1000lbs, also will use just rope and going to be led by hands. :) It's going to be interesting.
It was my job to make them to got used to the rope.

Very,very interesting. sure is something to see what the industry produces in other country's. Wonder what it costs to run a cow? What do you have to get out of a animal when it hits market weight? What do you primarily feed? Some of us here are little familure with costs and method's of So.America and ofcoarse Canada,but [at least for me I do not know anything about Europe]. So if you get some time would like to learn. One other question. Why do you rope the calves at weaning time??

They don't have working pens for the most part. Have a friend who has a son in Russia doing AI work and teaching beef cattle management. A few years back he had to import a head gate.

We just sent some heifers to Russia and wonder a lot about how,what and where. No that in a article I read about Stevenson's and some of their expeirences it is a sure enough a different world, especially, we who run a range operation. Sounds like that area is prime cattle country and no doubt one of the last true frontier's. Know I'm to old but maybe some of our younger generation can make it fit into their future.

Cattle are in the new winter shed we built this year.
Anne, in the third pic is 1/2BB cow with her 7 months old son. His sire is 1/2Angus, 3/8 Charolais.
We're going to buy cattle crush and pens for separating calves, but the way we wean calves now gives less stress, don't need catch them.
What about feeding, cows get natural grass hay during winter, any extra feed. Calves after weaning get triticale with vitamines and hay too. for bulls we give a little more triticale ~3lbs. Would like to give haylage, but don't have technique yet. When we let heifers into herd they don't get any more extra feed, because that heifers'll have easier calves.

Latest posts