dexter cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

longhornlover3498

Reaction score
i am going to be moving down the road about 25 miles to help my grandma. i didnt like the idea at first because i would be away from my cows. i'll still see them on the weekends but i love to be around them all the time. my grandmas house sits on about an acre of land and has a fenced yard. i told the problem to my dad and he suggested that i get a bum mini heifer for the yard as long as it was ok with her. i told my grandma and she said that if i did that the hefier would have to be a breeder and that every other calf would have to be for the freezer. i agreed but don't know anything about raising a bum calf or about dexters. is there any books or websites you could turn me on to? any help would be appreciated! :)

First thing you needs a place to store the hay bales and also store the grain. Second what type waterer you will use to water your cattle. Third you need a shelter for the cow. Finally how are you going breed her?

Dexters are supposed to be gentle cattle.....however I heard horrible stories about them being aggressive.

Taurus":3jwie6am said:
First thing you needs a place to store the hay bales and also store the grain. Second what type waterer you will use to water your cattle. Third you need a shelter for the cow. Finally how are you going breed her?

Dexters are supposed to be gentle cattle.....however I heard horrible stories about them being aggressive.
we have a large dog kennel that no one uses and aboubt 4 tarps. my grandpa has a water trough that i could probably use. a small shed is in the corner of the yard. i was thinking of using ai. i've found a dexter ranch in wyoming that is selling heifers.

First thing you need to check on the heifers is their disposition. It is very important thing as you don't want a high head cow that attacks your grandmother. Second thing is check on their genetics makes sure they do not carried the bulldog gene which is lethal.

Taurus":2zv5dkll said:
First thing you need to check on the heifers is their disposition. It is very important thing as you don't want a high head cow that attacks your grandmother. Second thing is check on their genetics makes sure they do not carried the bulldog gene which is lethal.
ok. what exactly is the bulldog gene? and also whats a good way to manage her manure?

You might want to contact Gale Seddon in Mineral, VA. They rasie Dexters. She doesn;t log in very often but still does occasioanlly or go to her website and email her "http://dextersfor.com/"

Be prepared, cows poop a lot. There was a study that determined that a cow poops an average of 20 times a day. However after cleaning up after the cow during the Colorado County Fair, it seems like they go more than that.

I would look into starting a compost pile for a garden.

chippie":3r14855e said:
Be prepared, cows poop a lot. There was a study that determined that a cow poops an average of 20 times a day. However after cleaning up after the cow during the Colorado County Fair, it seems like they go more than that.

I would look into starting a compost pile for a garden.
That is why I don't keep cattle in smaller areas for longer periods. I have seen few dexter cows in person and they do not look THAT small. They lacks in the height but their girth is comparable size to a highland cow or a small beef cow.

I'm sure Gale Seddon will answer any questions you may have and she will be very helpful. As dun stated, she has bred and raised Dexters for many years.

As for temperament, many folks use dexters for oxen, and you want your ox to have a nice temperament. There are high-headed animals in any breed.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":2s588ldw said:
I'm sure Gale Seddon will answer any questions you may have and she will be very helpful. As dun stated, she has bred and raised Dexters for many years.

As for temperament, many folks use dexters for oxen, and you want your ox to have a nice temperament. There are high-headed animals in any breed.

Katherine
You are right, there are high-headed animals in any breed...but these dexters are really a person cattle, not a people cattle. I seen these dexter cows at the salebarn sells as a cull cow, quite regularly because they were being aggressive with their new owners. I think it has do something with buying them as adults and buying them as young animals.

Ok, I browsed the thread and I'm tired of the Dexter bashing....To start, we have about 37 of them right now. Not one of them has ever given me a problem, except for one that a couple of summers ago thought it was funny to sneak up behind me and pull my shorts down to my ankles all the time, including when we had visitors to the farm. She'll walk up in the middle of conversations with 5-10 of us standing around and act like she's one of us too. There isn't ONE of our cows that I would be afraid to crouch down and check the sex of a calf one minute after it popped out. I look down at our bull, who's back is only slightly higher than my belt, and he respects me and my space.

The chondrodysplasia gene (i.e. bulldog) is not lethal unless two carriers are bred, and then it is only a 25% probability that you'll have an affected calf, which is aborted at between 3-5 months gestation. If you don't want that to happen, make sure that your breeding carrier to non carrier. It's an easy DNA test that's done by pulling tail hairs.

If people are having trouble with Dexters, it is more likely the people, not the cow. Since it is a breed that appeals to new cattle owners, sometimes they'll end up in the hands of people who overestimate their abilities and knowledge. We do our best to educate and instruct the new owners on what not to do as well as what TO do.

I'm not going to embarrass any of you by telling you how much we sell our calves for. Wait, correct that, how much we "pre-sell" our calves for, since we have a waiting list for heifers, as well as halves and whole Dexter grass fed and finished beef.

Not everybody does it this way, but if you have experience with cattle they are a very easy breed to manage.

lakeportfarms":27gyvpid said:
Ok, I browsed the thread and I'm tired of the Dexter bashing....To start, we have about 37 of them right now. Not one of them has ever given me a problem, except for one that a couple of summers ago thought it was funny to sneak up behind me and pull my shorts down to my ankles all the time, including when we had visitors to the farm. She'll walk up in the middle of conversations with 5-10 of us standing around and act like she's one of us too. There isn't ONE of our cows that I would be afraid to crouch down and check the sex of a calf one minute after it popped out. I look down at our bull, who's back is only slightly higher than my belt, and he respects me and my space.

If people are having trouble with Dexters, it is more likely the people, not the cow. Since it is a breed that appeals to new cattle owners, sometimes they'll end up in the hands of people who overestimate their abilities and knowledge. We do our best to educate and instruct the new owners on what not to do as well as what TO do.

Not everybody does it this way, but if you have experience with cattle they are a very easy breed to manage.
Pretty sure it was the cows that started the problem, that's why I come and picked up their dexter cows to the salebarn. They were snorting and pawing at me and there was nothing gentle about them. And this isn't the only farmer has problem with the dexters. I got four calls from other farmers that want get rid of their problem dexters.

lakeportfarms":2uylaw5u said:

The chondrodysplasia gene (i.e. bulldog) is not lethal unless two carriers are bred, and then it is only a 25% probability that you'll have an affected calf, which is aborted at between 3-5 months gestation. If you don't want that to happen, make sure that your breeding carrier to non carrier. It's an easy DNA test that's done by pulling tail hairs.

I'm not going to embarrass any of you by telling you how much we sell our calves for. Wait, correct that, how much we "pre-sell" our calves for, since we have a waiting list for heifers, as well as halves and whole Dexter grass fed and finished beef.

Did I miss the "bashing"? I understand wanting to be proud of the breed you raise, but there are bad ones in every breed, whether they're in your field or not. No need to get defensive because someone related their experience. I think a slight warning regarding disposition is valid with any breed, particularly one where many owners treat them like pets rather than livestock. I suspect that's where a lot of the bad ones start going bad.

lakeportfarms":3m1fcpe4 said:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lakep...57116070.87621.204103669622017&type=3&theater

Here's a little education, your cow has a "blown" udder. Would have been culled by most on this forum, or anyone else who is "knowledgeable" regarding cattle! :tiphat: :bs:

SSGenetics":3lfrc1u8 said:
lakeportfarms":3lfrc1u8 said:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lakep...57116070.87621.204103669622017&type=3&theater

Here's a little education, your cow has a "blown" udder. Would have been culled by most on this forum, or anyone else who is "knowledgeable" regarding cattle! :tiphat: :bs:
She should be culled! Time to make a trip to pick up your dun dexter and drop her off at the salebarn...Hopefully she is gentle with me!

lakeportfarms":32qyv5we said:

go ahead, we can take it....

lakeportfarms said:

quote]

And I have seen Llamas, Ostrichs, Alpacas, and pot belly pigs sell for $10,000 +. It doesn't mean they are worth that much. It means they found someone willing to pay that much.
Dexters are a niche market breed plain and simple. That doesn't make them good or bad. It is just what they are. But if they had to straight up compete with the main stream market breeds they would fail miserably.

Dave":rc6kgs04 said:
lakeportfarms":rc6kgs04 said:

quote]

And I have seen Llamas, Ostrichs, Alpacas, and pot belly pigs sell for $10,000 +. It doesn't mean they are worth that much. It means they found someone willing to pay that much.
Dexters are a niche market breed plain and simple. That doesn't make them good or bad. It is just what they are. But if they had to straight up compete with the main stream market breeds they would fail miserably.
Lot of them trying to turn the dexters into a cute pet mini-cow and making them even smaller than the old fashioned dexters but they don't pay attention to the disposition or quality of the animal. Seen a short-legged dexter bull dragging his nutsack around the rough pasture :shock: one time when picked up the problem dexters at same place. Dexters around here are very cheap around $300 to $600 and too many surplus animals that never got sold for years.

On other hand I have seen a nice Dexter x Angus cross cow one time.

I've tried a few novelty breeds and have noticed they all share the same brochure. All claim to be especially gentle cattle. Except the ones they sold to me.