Deworming with Cydectin (moxidectin)

Help Support CattleToday:

cowpunk'd

Reaction score
I haven't used Cydectin before ... With horses you have to be very accurate with the dose of moxidectin, they get sick if you give them too much. Is it the same for cattle? I am used to ivermectin which doesn't cause problems if you over-estimate the weight of the cow. I don't have a scale. It's the pour on Cydectin.

cowpunk'd":28kc7en2 said:
I haven't used Cydectin before ... With horses you have to be very accurate with the dose of moxidectin, they get sick if you give them too much. Is it the same for cattle? I am used to ivermectin which doesn't cause problems if you over-estimate the weight of the cow. I don't have a scale. It's the pour on Cydectin.

I've used Cydectin before. I don't consider myself an expert at weight estimation so I am sure I have "overmedicated" a time or two. I actually try and error on the side of too much is better than not enough. I have had no problems with cows. I don't use pour on with my horses just the paste so I am not sure what the risks are with pour on dewormer and horses.

I use the Cydectin pour on with no problems on my cows. I get their weight by the tape and go by that. I am sure I am over medicating them by a little, but never had any issues, even with the calves I have treated.

I've used Cydectin and haven't had any problems w/ it. I'm sure that I've over-estimated some weights before and I don't have a set of scales. I've not had any cattle appear sickly after worming them.