Deworming Bred Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

bncsimps

Reaction score
I have 5 bred angus cows due to deliver between Sept-Jan. I was wondering if it's safe to apply pour on dewormer at this stage of pregnacy? Is there a particular time of the year when I SHOULDN'T deworm??? Thanks for the advice.

bks

we've never had a problem with pour on. we use cydectin. we usually deworm twice a year, but sometimes a few will have to have another round. our show calves were dewormed every 30-45 days. so to answer your question, if they need worming, do it. whatever the time of year.

Isn't there a certain time of year (depending on geography) when you shouldn't worm. Maybe I read it on a ivermectin label. Has something to do with the horn fly worms dying and getting in the heart?

Walt

Txwalt":20xo22vy said:
Isn't there a certain time of year (depending on geography) when you shouldn't worm. Maybe I read it on a ivermectin label. Has something to do with the horn fly worms dying and getting in the heart?

Walt

Grubs... shouldn't worm in the winter months, depending on your area. Not sure if that applies to Ivomec (ivermectin) or just Ivomec Plus.

Whether or not a pour-on wormer is OK for bred cows is entirely dependent on what type of wormer it is. Can you give us a brand name?

In Manitoba we are recommended not to deworm after Nov 30 for a while due to warbles. At that time they are either close to the heart or is it the spine, can't remember.

milkmaid":csfymtov said:
Txwalt":csfymtov said:

Walt

Grubs... shouldn't worm in the winter months, depending on your area. Not sure if that applies to Ivomec (ivermectin) or just Ivomec Plus.

Whether or not a pour-on wormer is OK for bred cows is entirely dependent on what type of wormer it is. Can you give us a brand name?

Thanks. I was starting to wonder if I just imagined it. Now that you mentioned it I think it was an Ivomec label I read that on. It said to ask your local ag agent on times when to not use it.

Walt

Grubs, I'll remember that.

I went and looked up the label...

• PRECAUTIONS

When to Treat Cattle with Grubs

IVOMEC effectively controls all stages of cattle grubs. However, proper timing of treatment is important. For most effective results, cattle should be treated as soon as possible after the end of the heel fly (warble fly) season. Destruction of Hypoderma larvae (cattle grubs) at the period when these grubs are in vital areas may cause undesirable host-parasite reactions including the possibility of fatalities. Killing Hypoderma lineatum when it is in the tissue surrounding the esophagus (gullet) may cause salivation and bloat; killing H. bovis when it is in the vertebral canal may cause staggering or paralysis. These reactions are not specific to treatment with IVOMEC, but can occur with any successful treatment of grubs. Cattle should be treated either before or after these stages of grub development. Consult your veterinarian concerning the proper time for treatment.

Cattle treated with IVOMEC after the end of the heel fly season may be retreated with IVOMEC during the winter for internal parasites, mange mites, or sucking lice without danger of grub-related reactions. A planned parasite control program is recommended.

We use poor-on dewormer for parasite control and worming. We apply about 6 times per year. It has payed off. May be too much. Vet said ok.
Caution If branding at the same time as worming,brand first then pour on wormer.

rockridgecattle":9p7iklbw said:
In Manitoba we are recommended not to deworm after Nov 30 for a while due to warbles. At that time they are either close to the heart or is it the spine, can't remember.

In california we are warned to only use injectable wormer after November. Using poaron after this til spring causes the parasite to burrow down into the spine. We use poar on anything we need to worm durring this time and use poar on durring other times of the year. We worm twice a year unless added to the herd. Every other 6 months we alternate.
We worm all cattle bred or otherwise as long as it doesn't say not to on the label. Always read the label. They put them there for a reason.
Hope this helps.
Double R

I have just bought iver-on to deworm my calves. They are 6 months old. How often should I give it to them? The label only says talk to your vet :roll:

Every 45 days if I understood this whole post correctly??? I am In Texas. I am so afraid of giving too much or not enough :(